IGNORED

Rory McIlroy Topic (Was "Overrated")

senorchipotle

I'd say Rors has great timing ... nice contract with the Swoosh.

The terms? More than the five years that is standard for a big-time deal and less than the 10 that has been widely reported; significantly more than the would-be competition's $10 million annual offer but less than the $25 million the Irish press dreamed up. Davis called McIlroy's signing "one of the most important moments in the history" of the company. But no pressure, kid.

Read more: http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/inside-rory-mcilroy-massive-endorsement-deal-nike-golf#ixzz2fA4h10aU

They even made Rors a special golf ball - the 20xi with a softer cover.

____

I think Rors was overhyped by the media, and then golf fans. His short career is one of inconsistency drizzled with brilliance. I've read his driving accuracy is less than desirable. He has bouts of putting heaven along with putting hell.

Maybe it's too many changes, changing of girlfriends, agents, friends, equipment... It's possible that when he "settles" down and makes golf his priority, the brilliance meter will rise.

But it is also possible that golf will not be his all consuming priority...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think Rors was over hyped by the media, and then golf fans. His short career is one of inconsistency drizzled with brilliance. I've read his driving accuracy is less than desirable. He has bouts of putting heaven along with putting hell.

Maybe it's too many changes, changing of girlfriends, agents, friends, equipment... It's possible that when he "settles" down and makes golf his priority, the brilliance meter will rise.

But it is also possible that golf will not be his all consuming priority...

'drizzled with brilliance' = streaky player, definitely, when he's on he is unbeatable, when he's off he is off.

'Maybe to many changes', think so. Hindsight's a great thing, but wonder if Rory would like to wind back time and still be playing Titleist and  be with his first management company.

And the romantic in me thinks perhaps he misses his childhood girlfriend. Even if subconsciously!

while i did not read every thread response.....  I think most guys in the golf world wonder what Rory's year would be like if he had not changed equipment...

I mean he went from Titleist to Nike....

And he had been using Titleist's for many years.... So obviously he was really comfortable using their products...

It is what it is

By no means am I saying that he isn't good, cause he's great. He's just not that great. I think Rory will be the next Lee Westwood, albeit with a prettier swing. I know a lot of you think/wish/hope he'll be the second coming, but I'm not buying that product. He hasn't shown me that fire you need to be a multiple major winner. I say he finishes his career with 2, maybe 3 majors and 10-15 tournament wins. I reckon he'll be a hall of famer, but never classed with the likes of tiger, jack, palmer, player, etc. thoughts...?

His 21 years old and has 2 majors. How is he overrated? Just because is year has been less then stellar he has 5 top 10s in 16 events (most players on tour do not get this or even close). Lets count the years that tiger did nothing or was in a "slump"? Coming off 2 majors in 2 years and not having a win in one year does not make him overrated by any means.

FT Optiforce 440 Diamana S+, Nike covert tour Kuro Kage, Mizuno MP54 4-PW, Vokey SM5 52 56 60, Odyssey White Ice #2

His 21 years old and has 2 majors. How is he overrated? Just because is year has been less then stellar he has 5 top 10s in 16 events (most players on tour do not get this or even close). Lets count the years that tiger did nothing or was in a "slump"? Coming off 2 majors in 2 years and not having a win in one year does not make him overrated by any means.

People expect the white Tiger.

Where did he go?

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Most players on Tour don't get $50M endorsement deals, the expectations were higher for him than to just finish Top 10 five times this year.

Joe Paradiso

Most players on Tour don't get $50M endorsement deals, the expectations were higher for him than to just finish Top 10 five times this year.

Ok Tiger woods makes twice that from Nike and has had seasons where he has done less than stellar. I will assure you by the time he retires he will have at least 30 wins and 6 majors. At least. The guy has the most well rounded game of any long hitter, its only a matter of time before he gets back into form.

FT Optiforce 440 Diamana S+, Nike covert tour Kuro Kage, Mizuno MP54 4-PW, Vokey SM5 52 56 60, Odyssey White Ice #2

Ok Tiger woods makes twice that from Nike and has had seasons where he has done less than stellar. I will assure you by the time he retires he will have at least 30 wins and 6 majors. At least. The guy has the most well rounded game of any long hitter, its only a matter of time before he gets back into form.

Before Tiger signed his deal with Nike (in 2000) he already had roughly 25 wins, including 5 majors so Rory needs to pedal hard to live up to that big Nike contract.

Joe Paradiso

Before Tiger signed his deal with Nike (in 2000) he already had roughly 25 wins, including 5 majors so Rory needs to pedal hard to live up to that big Nike contract.

15 wins and 2 majors. He had 9 in 2000, here's the thing you're missing, Rory Mcilroy isn't Tiger Woods...you're talking about Tiger woods here the greatest golfer ever, so ya if you're comparing him to tiger I guess he does have a way to go, he has 6 wins on the pga tour and a few on the european. The point is he's 21 years old and one hell of a golfer and to call him overrated because he had 1 average season is ridiculous.

15 wins and 2 majors. He had 9 in 2000, here's the thing you're missing, Rory Mcilroy isn't Tiger Woods...you're talking about Tiger woods here the greatest golfer ever, so ya if you're comparing him to tiger I guess he does have a way to go, he has 6 wins on the pga tour and a few on the european. The point is he's 21 years old and one hell of a golfer and to call him overrated because he had 1 average season is ridiculous.

Tiger signed his big contract with Nike on September 15, 2000 so he won a good portion of those tournaments and all the Majors before he signed the deal.

I'm not saying Rory isn't a good golfer, but he was over rated given he's not performed close to expectations or the money Nike is paying him this year.  That contract is a lot to live up to, so without winning a major next year and / or at least 2 other key PGA Tour tournaments he's going to still be considered over rated.

Joe Paradiso

He's 24 years old....

but I digress.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

I say we don't have a clue and can't possibly guesstimate the future for anyone on the PGA Tour.

^

this

If you've ever been to a tour event, you see they all hit the same shots, same ball flight (predominately)...

University of Illinois - Springfield Golf Team

Titleist 913 w/ Tour AD DI-6

Titleist 906 3 Wood w/ Proforce V2

Bridgestone J36 Hybrid

Mizuno MP 64 - Project X 6.0

Titleist 50, 56 Spin Milled - Project X 6.0

Scotty Cameron Newport

Will say that shit tweets like this don't do much to dispel the money-machine impression. @McIlroyRory Win signed QC15 headphones! Follow @Bose & retweet #WinBose for chance to win. No pur nec 18+(US) ends 9/23/13 http://t.co/kFNcKRRQCV #spon

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

People expect the white Tiger.

Where did he go?

Well, as Brocks used to point out, this was to be the pivotal year in determining if he was really "the next Tiger" or not.  Because this was the year it was going to take a herculean effort to keep pace with Tiger's early accomplishments, was it not?

So maybe we can let that die, and lower the bar for Rors a little.
I like saying "Rors."

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I say we don't have a clue and can't possibly guesstimate the future for anyone on the PGA Tour.

Lololol too true. Agreed. There was probably a thread out there about other golfers that either had a meteoric rise or fall and were able to turn it around after a few hiccups. I think we all know there won't be another jack or tiger in a long time but there's no question Rory is a phenomenal talent. Guess what he's struggling, who hasn't? Name one. Just one.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

• 1 month later...