IGNORED

Rory McIlroy Topic (Was "Overrated")

senorchipotle

• 2 months later...

When I think of Rory and how he played in a couple tourneys two years ago, how well he played only to follow up last year with a stinker.......I keep getting this image of Ben Curtis, hopefully I am wrong.

I keep seeing shades of Phil.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

He's only what 24 years old still. I mean come on guys. Overrated has more to do with media hype than him.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Why can't we just enjoy the golfers as they are, and leave them to be individuals with their own identities. I don't see the need to have a bunch of clones running around.

I for one like a little diversity when I watch  week to week. And thats why I rail about Woods getting so much TV time when he is in hack mode, and others are playing great golf.

Why can't we just enjoy the golfers as they are, and leave them to be individuals with their own identities. I don't see the need to have a bunch of clones running around.

I for one like a little diversity when I watch  week to week. And thats why I rail about Woods getting so much TV time when he is in hack mode, and others are playing great golf.

This! I just wanna watch golf, all that other nonsense is for people with too much time on their hands, IMHO.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Well, Rory already has more majors than Westwood-who I also like.....but you are talking about a very young, extremely talented kid with something akin to 20+ years of golf career ahead of him....this is also the kid who Tiger personally coronated as essentially the guy who would ultimately replace him as golf's best...that is what I would call a very informed opinion!  Rory is already showing strong signs that his personal and professional life are stabilizing and he is once again topping the leaderboards....no reason to believe that this will change anytime soon.

there are many other golfers, IMO, who are more likely to be "over rated" including Dustin Johnson , for example....everybody oooohs and ahhhs about his distance but he is not a complete player as he lacks a reliable short game and regularly displays questionable course management -especially at crunch time on Sundays......just an example amongst many....

Cheers.

Rory has a ridiculous amount of talent, so no I don't think he is overrated. His potential is virtually limitless. He is really young and just needs to figure out a way to consistently put himself in contention and close out tournaments. Once he learns how to grind out wins (as well as run away with them, which he's shown he's more than capable of), watch out because there isn't a lot of guys who can do the things that he can when he's on.

The problem for Rory is everyone is comparing him to the GOAT. The guy has a ton of talent and a long career left. Its really not fair to make him the next Tiger. I doubt we will ever see a player as dominant as Tiger was in his prime. I hope Rory figures out how to just be himself on and off the course. I think he will win a lot more just probably not at the same clip as Tiger.

• 5 months later...

Well, Lee Westwood hasn't won a major yet, and Rory already has two. He's already surpassed Westwood.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Op looks stupid now eh?

I dunno. You could still make the case that in 2010, when the thread was started, Rory was overrated by some people.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

if he learns how to add other facets to his game, like how to play when a sky high ball isn't optimal, he will be even scarier.  hes scary now as it is.

Colin P.

With all the money that is available to players in sports these days, I think it would take a "special" player who can keep the competitive juices flowing, while still making a ton of money. Those types of players are few, and far between these days due to guaranteed money.

Tiger Woods is one of those players who feels that winning takes care of the money, and the rankings.  Mcllroy, or any other current, and/or  up coming golfer for that matter, will need to make winning their priority if they want to achieve what the best of the best in their game have already achieved. Making it to number one in the world for a few weeks is not that big a deal, when compared to the likes of Woods and Norman. Even Faldo I suppose.

Is Mcllroy overrated? I don't know. Pro golf is a game that always needs a hero. With Woods slowly sliding down hill, and Mickleson pretty much past his prime, the game of golf needs a new hero to market in the not to distant future. I know he's putting a big hurt on most the field at The Open right now. That should rate him pretty high.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I think the only way to call Rory overrated is to compare him to Tiger. No other player since Tiger has accomplished as much at a young age. Is he the next Tiger? Of course not, but he's the closest thing we've seen to him since.

Lee

In My Bag... Driver:Titleist 913D3  3 Wood: Dunlop 16deg railer  Hybr:Titleist 910H 24deg  4-GW:Mizuno JPX825Pros

Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey 256-14  60deg: Mizuno Zoid   Putter: Odyssey WH Rossie (Left handed)