IGNORED

Rory McIlroy Topic (Was "Overrated")

senorchipotle

Close the troll thread already...

McIroy is overrated.. Seriously.. C'mon.. It's embarrassing

You're definitely being proven wrong right now....

We don't close threads for this reason.  It is actually a nice history of opinion.  Yes, the OP was underestimating McIlroy.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It may just be possible that Jack knows what it takes to win the odd major or two

Rory has already won 4, so maybe Rory knows what it takes to win a major or two as well?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 2 weeks later...
The problem for Rory is everyone is comparing him to the GOAT. The guy has a ton of talent and a long career left. Its really not fair to make him the next Tiger. I doubt we will ever see a player as dominant as Tiger was in his prime. I hope Rory figures out how to just be himself on and off the course. I think he will win a lot more just probably not at the same clip as Tiger.

The good thing is he's actually making it quite clear through media interviews that he doesn't think he is the next tiger but shows he's just as classy and humble off the course as he is on the course. Great role model and if he's the new face of golf, the PGA Tour couldn't ask for a better person.

• Upvote 1

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

''He's just not that great. I think Rory will be the next Lee Westwood, albeit with a prettier swing. I know a lot of you think/wish/hope he'll be the second coming, but I'm not buying that product. He hasn't shown me that fire you need to be a multiple major winner. I say he finishes his career with 2, maybe 3 majors and 10-15 tournament wins.''

Wow. Just read that. That's hilarious, but ya know hindsight..20/20...lol.

Taylor Made R11S 9 Degree

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

[COLOR=181818]''He's just not that great. I think Rory will be the next Lee Westwood, albeit with a prettier swing. I know a lot of you think/wish/hope he'll be the second coming, but I'm not buying that product. He hasn't shown me that fire you need to be a multiple major winner. I say he finishes his career with 2, maybe 3 majors and 10-15 tournament wins.''[/COLOR] [COLOR=181818]Wow. Just read that. That's hilarious, but ya know hindsight..20/20...lol.[/COLOR]

If McIlroy retires now, in his mid 20s, he's pretty darn close to being right. ;-)

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

If McIlroy retires now, in his mid 20s, he's pretty darn close to being right.

If Rory retires now is he a lock for the HOF? 3 majors meets the criteria and the fact that he got them all before turning 26 gives it a little extra oomph.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator

If Rory retires now is he a lock for the HOF? 3 majors meets the criteria and the fact that he got them all before turning 26 gives it a little extra oomph.

Plus, he has four. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

:doh: Piling them up faster than I can count! I'm still so blown away by his Open win as his third major by 25 that I haven't even fully absorbed his 2nd PGA. That was a helluva two week* stretch.

*technically more than two weeks, but let's no ruin a perfectly good storyline. :-$

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

News hasn't reached Canada by wireless yet.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

:doh:  Piling them up faster than I can count! I'm still so blown away by his Open win as his third major by 25 that I haven't even fully absorbed his 2nd PGA. That was a helluva two week* stretch. *technically more than two weeks, but let's no ruin a perfectly good storyline.:-$

You and me both brother. I know the comparisons are constant and starting to get annoying but the last player I can remember that dominated in the same fashion was Tiger. Do I think he's the next tiger? No. But he's extremely entertaining to watch each week which is bringing more and more viewers to the game.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

You and me both brother. I know the comparisons are constant and starting to get annoying but the last player I can remember that dominated in the same fashion was Tiger. Do I think he's the next tiger? No. But he's extremely entertaining to watch each week which is bringing more and more viewers to the game.

If he can keep his head right, he could be the next Tiger.  Rory's swing is appears much less violent than Tigers did so he may be able to sustain it longer without injury.  I also question if Rory has that killer instinct Tiger demonstrated in his prime, just seems like Rory is too nice a kid.

Joe Paradiso

Big praise for Rory's driving from some of other pros.

Paul Casey sounded reverential in a recent New York Times article .

"When Rory is on, it's not a contest," Casey said. "Rory's swing is like a bullwhip. When he times it, it's the best you're going to see. I've never seen a golf ball hit like that."

Stuart Appleby 's instructor agreed.

"I don't think Tiger ever hit it as far and as straight as Rory," said Steve Bann. "Rory's path (with the driver) is inside and up, so his natural free releasing shot is a draw."

Ian Baker-Finch

"Rory doesn't have to go back to a stinger three-iron often," said Baker-Finch. "Even when Tiger was at his best and winning all the time, he went back to that stinger two-iron when he had to."

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/eye-on-golf/24680305/paul-casey-on-rory-mcilroy-ive-never-seen-a-golf-ball-hit-like-that

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Big praise for Rory's driving from some of other pros.

Paul Casey sounded reverential in a recent New York Times article.

"When Rory is on, it's not a contest," Casey said. "Rory's swing is like a bullwhip. When he times it, it's the best you're going to see. I've never seen a golf ball hit like that."

Stuart Appleby's instructor agreed.

"I don't think Tiger ever hit it as far and as straight as Rory," said Steve Bann. "Rory's path (with the driver) is inside and up, so his natural free releasing shot is a draw."

Ian Baker-Finch

"Rory doesn't have to go back to a stinger three-iron often," said Baker-Finch. "Even when Tiger was at his best and winning all the time, he went back to that stinger two-iron when he had to."

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/eye-on-golf/24680305/paul-casey-on-rory-mcilroy-ive-never-seen-a-golf-ball-hit-like-that

I would agree with most of that, but I also think that's why, when he's not swinging well, he falls so far out of contention in a way that Tiger didn't as often as Rory has (through this point in their careers)*.  Basically, Rory's success is heavily reliant on that driver because he does hit it so often.  Tiger had a bit of a higher floor because he would/could go back to the stinger.  Granted: it isn't a great time to talk about Rory's floor being lower when he took two majors this year, but I'm speaking in relative terms.

*I'll disclaim that I haven't reviewed all of the data to know if it flies in the face of this statement.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

If he can keep his head right, he could be the next Tiger.  Rory's swing is appears much less violent than Tigers did so he may be able to sustain it longer without injury.  I also question if Rory has that killer instinct Tiger demonstrated in his prime, just seems like Rory is too nice a kid.

True enough but don't forget Tiger came off as a pretty nice kid when he first started out too. Smiled a lot, joked around.. looked innocent then got hit hard by the press and has kept his guard up since.

Apparently many other people find Rory overrated too....

Rickie does it again!!!

LOL

I wonder what the fans are smoking... :hmm:

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I am disgusted with myself for saying this, and I know Tigs will hate me for it too, but Rors is a stud.  absolute stud.  when hes on its scary.  the driver swing is dead sexxxy.

Colin P.