IGNORED

Rory McIlroy Topic (Was "Overrated")

senorchipotle

My opinion is based strictly on watching him play but he just seemed to go through the motions this week.  I don't expect him to act like Spencer Levin, but when he blew that shot out of the sand on 18 that would cause him to miss the cut he really didn't seem to care.  

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He is the type of player that cares if he is in the hunt. At least he's not like Speith. When he isn't in it he is a cry-baby. 

Dave :-)

4 majors before his 25th birthday...yep...clearly over-rated...all smoke and mirrors...

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

6 hours ago, Dave2512 said:

He is the type of player that cares if he is in the hunt. At least he's not like Speith. When he isn't in it he is a cry-baby. 

I wouldn't say Spieth is a cry baby, he wants to win.  Tiger always wanted to win, it's one of the things that I admired most about him.  

Joe Paradiso

On 2016-06-20 at 4:51 PM, Ernest Jones said:

4 majors before his 25th birthday...yep...clearly over-rated...all smoke and mirrors...

Yeah, I think we're picking at nits here about McIlroy.  Sure, his major wins have come on "easier" courses --- but there are still FOUR of them.

The weather created such havoc with the course and tee-time reshuffling that we can probably just write this US Open off for everyone (except DJ, of course).  Can't blame Rory for being frustrated, having to deal with both Oakmont and all the added nonsense.

8 minutes ago, Broke100Once said:

Yeah, I think we're picking at nits here about McIlroy.  Sure, his major wins have come on "easier" courses --- but there are still FOUR of them.

The weather created such havoc with the course and tee-time reshuffling that we can probably just write this US Open off for everyone (except DJ, of course).  Can't blame Rory for being frustrated, having to deal with both Oakmont and all the added nonsense.

Agree. They were "easier" for everyone, not just Rory. He won his US Open by 8 strokes too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
12 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Agree. They were "easier" for everyone, not just Rory. He won his US Open by 8 strokes too.

Still, some courses favor certain players. If Rory can't win in difficult setups he may underperform in majors as they usually don't have soft/easy conditions.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

14 hours ago, Broke100Once said:

Are we really calling Kiawah Island 'easy'?

16 hours ago, iacas said:

Still, some courses favor certain players. If Rory can't win in difficult setups he may underperform in majors as they usually don't have soft/easy conditions.

Underperform?  When it comes to winning majors, Rory has already outperformed everyone in the history of the sport, save for about 20 guys.

• 7 months later...
On 6/22/2016 at 9:17 PM, ElWagonne said:

Are we really calling Kiawah Island 'easy'?

Hardest golf course I've ever played.  It was blowing hard (in opposite directions) the two times I played.  In mild conditions I can see how it might not be too bad but damn.  To give you an idea, I played from the same tees both days and hit a decent drive on #6 both days.  The first day I had a lob wedge into the green...the second I hit a 4-iron.  :-O

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

• 1 year later...

Guess who's back!!?? ME!

Just kidding, Rory! 

The Arnold Palmer Invitational is his 14th PGA tour win and 23rd professional win.

RORY.jpg

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

6 hours ago, Crim said:

Guess who's back!!?? ME!

Just kidding, Rory! 

The Arnold Palmer Invitational is his 14th PGA tour win and 23rd professional win.

RORY.jpg

Great win. Shame about the carrdigan though. Makes him look old ;-)

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

• Administrator
3 hours ago, dogburger said:

Think the thread title should be changed to underrated.  He has only really just started his career and would say the best is yet to come . 

I think people are capable of reading the OP.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Terrific win for Rory , playing the best golf when it really mattered. 

Even better to see him being chased by Stenson and Rose.

• Like 1

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, dogburger said:

So do I , whats your point ?

That it would be completely inappropriate to rename the topic just because the OP was wrong about what he said in 2010.

I think people can read the OP and see the date and come to their own conclusion.