IGNORED

Rory McIlroy Topic (Was "Overrated")

senorchipotle

4 hours ago, Herkimer said:

I do believe that some golfers "want it" more than others simply by putting more hours and effort into becoming great.  From what I've read about Hogan, I'd have to say that he wanted it more than others.  I'd say the same thing about Bryson.  And, of course, Tiger.  This is true in all fields, not just golf, and to me it's as plain as day.

Yet, there are golfers who may have put in just as many hours as anyone else and don't succeed at all. Wanting it more doesn't make up the difference in golfing ability. Can a high level talent not reach their potential, sure. Yet, maybe we were elevating Rory too high. Maybe he's right were he should be.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

0r7xu3pobkn21.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

0r7xu3pobkn21.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

That is so good. Love it.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• 1 month later...

yeah - over rated hack...another top 10 finish

poor guy just doesn't want it enough in this pure mechanically feely and mental game requiring a great putting ability (today's post comes with bonus mockery emotions to highlight that last sentence was wry and not serious in any way shape or form) - 🤔🤨🤗

Bill - 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

yeah - over rated hack...another top 10 finish

Even though the OP is from 2010… I would say "a top 10 finish" would still leave him over-rated. Rory should be winning majors, and he's not really doing that lately. So despite the fact that the OP is from 2010… and Rory won majors after that… he WAS talked about as being "the next Tiger" or the next dominant player, and he's not been anywhere close to that, really, for a number of years now.

Majorless since 2014.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

Even though the OP is from 2010… I would say "a top 10 finish" would still leave him over-rated. Rory should be winning majors, and he's not really doing that lately. So despite the fact that the OP is from 2010… and Rory won majors after that… he WAS talked about as being "the next Tiger" or the next dominant player, and he's not been anywhere close to that, really, for a number of years now.

Majorless since 2014.

I agree. I remember the hype surrounding him was Tiger-level. He was supposed to be the Tiger of that crop of players. He's had a great career up to this point, but not as good as what a lot of people had envisioned.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

Majorless since 2014.

For some reason I like Rory, so I'm a bit of a Rory apologist. I do remember people saying Rory would be "The Next Tiger". I also remember people saying Jordan Spieth would be "The Next Tiger". I also remember people saying Dustin Johnson, Justin Rose and a couple others would be "The Next Tiger". 

I don't think there is ever going to be a "Next Tiger".

• Tiger Woods won 32 times on the PGA Tour from 1999 through 2003. No other player won more than eight times in that span. 
  • From the 1999 PGA Championship through the 2002 U.S. Open, Tiger Woods won seven of the 11 majors. Nobody has ever come close to that. Tiger Woods was a cumulative 94 under par in those tournaments – 60 shots better than any other player. No one has ever dominated like that.

• Tiger Woods won 10 majors before his 30th birthday. The only player to even win five majors before turning 30 was Jack Nicklaus, who won seven. 

• As of now there is only one other player with double-digit PGA Tour wins (not majors, just regular victories) under the age of 30. That player happens to be Rory Mcllroy.

Comparing anyone to Tiger is unfair. I believe his type of dominance will never happen again.

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, ChetlovesMer said:

For some reason I like Rory, so I'm a bit of a Rory apologist. I do remember people saying Rory would be "The Next Tiger". I also remember people saying Jordan Spieth would be "The Next Tiger". I also remember people saying Dustin Johnson, Justin Rose and a couple others would be "The Next Tiger". 

Yes to Rory and Jordan.

No on Dustin and Justin. Not even close. They were both far too old and had accumulated far too few wins - still just one major win apiece - that talk never really existed. Maybe some idiot somewhere said it, but no - that talk never really existed with Dustin and Justin.

And who cares if there's never going to be a next Tiger - I agree, too - that doesn't change the context of this topic, except to say that it speaks to Rory being overrated. Which, for most of his career, I'd agree he has been.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

Majorless since 2014.

that's true - not living up to the expectations from back then, but it's a deep field.  still hoping---the top talent now is amazing and it would still be fun to see someone break loose and raise the bar again...

Bill - 

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Yes to Rory and Jordan.

No on Dustin and Justin. Not even close. They were both far too old and had accumulated far too few wins - still just one major win apiece - that talk never really existed. Maybe some idiot somewhere said it, but no - that talk never really existed with Dustin and Justin.

And who cares if there's never going to be a next Tiger - I agree, too - that doesn't change the context of this topic, except to say that it speaks to Rory being overrated. Which, for most of his career, I'd agree he has been.

Just for fun I'll argue. 

The only way Rory is over-rated is by all those people who called him "The Next Tiger". Everyone who did that is a moron, in my humble opinion. Because as I've stated there will never be a "Next Tiger". So just as you mentioned the folks who called Dustin or Justin "The Next Tiger" are idiots, so are the folks who called Jordan or Rory "The Next Tiger". Anyone who utters the phrase "The Next Tiger" is an idiot, therefore only idiots over-rated Rory Mcllroy. 

• Administrator

The only way Rory is over-rated is by all those people who called him "The Next Tiger".

Nope. He hasn't won a single major since 2014. There's a huge gap between what Rory is and "Tiger" where Rory can win 8 to 11 or 12 majors and still not be "Tiger" and failing to do so can still qualify him as "overrated."

So it's not just about "the next Tiger" stuff.

Just now, iacas said:

Nope. He hasn't won a single major since 2014. There's a huge gap between what Rory is and "Tiger" where Rory can win 8 to 11 or 12 majors and still not be "Tiger" and failing to do so can still qualify him as "overrated."

Eh, what ever. I was just arguing for fun. I've really got nothin. 

• Administrator

Eh, what ever. I was just arguing for fun. I've really got nothin. 

So am I. Not like any of this shit really matters.

Hope and over-rating go hand in hand.  We hope there is going to be another ____________; and are often too willing to invest said hope in a guy like Rory.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

So am I. Not like any of this shit really matters.

yeah, I don't think Rory's going to lose a ton of sleep over what we think.

14 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I also remember people saying Dustin Johnson

I don't remember DJ being dubbed the next great golfer. He was a bit of a late bloomer and was in Sergio Garcia (best w/o a major) territory for a while, but that's obviously changed (for Sergio, too).

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Strokes Gained Total (2019 thru 2014) - 1st, 9th,17th, 4th, 5th ,1st

Yea, from 2015 till now, he's been a yearly top 10 player in strokes gained. Yet, he only has 6 wins and no majors. I think he has underperformed for his ability.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

It's weird that Rory really hasn't a hot streak for a couple of years now. He's definitely a streaky player, and his highs are really high. I sort of expect him to do this, but it's been odd to see him playing well enough to win, but not well enough to blow everybody away for months like he's capable. The last time it seems like he lived up to his potential like this was in the fall of 2016, when he won two events in a month and then dominated at the Ryder Cup. It feels like he's been really close, both last year and this year, but he hasn't quite taken off yet.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him win 2 majors this summer. But I also wouldn't be surprised to see him win (only) 1 or 2 more majors the rest of his career. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint: