IGNORED

Rory McIlroy Topic (Was "Overrated")

senorchipotle

2 hours ago, 83tobeat said:

Agree with this,also McIlroy is such a natural talent that when he hits his form periods he's the best player in the world for sure.

I actually don’t agree with this completely. All through the bag Rory is never the best. Those guys out there are so friggin good that anytime they get ‘on form’ or ‘all the gears are working’ they’re due to win. This is why you get those nobody names pulling a win out of nowhere. With the greats like Rory they’re just able to hit that form more often. Aside from Tiger’s prime I think anybody on tour who hits their zone form will get a win. If you took the top five right now and they all played on form..it would just be the rub of the green who would win. I don’t think it would be one golfer due to some aspect of their game that’s better. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/26/2019 at 1:04 PM, Vinsk said:

I actually don’t agree with this completely. All through the bag Rory is never the best. Those guys out there are so friggin good that anytime they get ‘on form’ or ‘all the gears are working’ they’re due to win. This is why you get those nobody names pulling a win out of nowhere. With the greats like Rory they’re just able to hit that form more often. Aside from Tiger’s prime I think anybody on tour who hits their zone form will get a win. If you took the top five right now and they all played on form..it would just be the rub of the green who would win. I don’t think it would be one golfer due to some aspect of their game that’s better. 

I do agree with that there's more to take into account with a win.I guess Rory has hit his form this week with his WGC win but cant agree he's overrated as the OP suggested.

Since this thread started on 2010, I don’t think the term overrated is even relevant anymore.  I’m pretty sure he’ll get into the HOF with his current resume.  His FedEx cup and European wins will help.  If he gets to 25 PGA wins and the career GS, it’s a slam dunk... no pun intended.

John

Rory is actually quite underrated.

I say that because most people will say "When he's on his day he is the best in the world". But actually, he's the best in the world when he's merely having a decent day. And on his off days he just comes top 10. When he's on form... well, watch the last round of the Canadian open. 

Rory was 1st SG Total for the 2019 season on the PGA at 2.5. 2nd through 4th were 1.8ish-1.5ish. That is an absurd difference. Hell, Brooks was 9th!

The only argument that he isn't by far the best in the world is that he hasn't managed to perform well in majors. But in terms of best golf, Rory is clearly the pick

2 hours ago, miggusrises said:

Rory is actually quite underrated.

I don’t agree. He’s right where he should be imo.

he hasn't managed to perform well in majors.

That’s a pretty big point. Brooks has equaled his major totals in half the time.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

But in terms of best golf,

I guess it depends on what is "best golf."  Is best golf a person's performance over a season or during the majors or some kind of combination?  You must define your terms/measuring stick before you make an analysis.

• Like 1

he's a great golfer.  The problem is that people tried to appoint him as 'the next tiger', as well as a bunch of other so called phenoms who got hot for a season or two, then cooled off and became just another really good golfer on a tour filled with more really great golfers. There might not be another Tiger, at least not in this era, and even the Tiger of old, might not have been as dominant if he was active in 2015-2019.  The competition is stiff

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

On 10/26/2019 at 8:04 AM, Vinsk said:

All through the bag Rory is never the best. 

Who's better with the driver than Rory when he's on? His driving can be an absolutely devastation weapon.

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

23 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Who's better with the driver than Rory when he's on? His driving can be an absolutely devastation weapon.

Agree,he's the best driver of the golf ball in the world and if they ALL played their best golf in a given week Rory would come out on top for sure 👍.

Edited by 83tobeat

6 minutes ago, 83tobeat said:

if they ALL played their best golf in a given week Rory would come out on top for sure 👍.

I dont agree with this that Rory would be a guaranteed win if everyone was at their best.

A number of guys that at their best could easily go toe to toe with and beat Rory (in no particular order)

Brooks Koepka

Tiger Woods

Dustin Johnson

Justin Thomas

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

58 minutes ago, 83tobeat said:

Agree,he's the best driver of the golf ball in the world and if they ALL played their best golf in a given week Rory would come out on top for sure 👍.

Rory hasn’t come out on top when everyone wasn’t playing their best. Rory is a phenomenal driver. But having his talent and only four majors is an underachievement imo.

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

What I mean is when Rory has been on, he’s lost because somebody was putting/wedging it better than him. When Tiger was on, he won. He was so much better at ball striking that he still won if other parts of his game were off. 

Edited by Vinsk

Rory's all-round game is as good as anybody else out there, if not better.  His ball striking is that good.  His biggest problem is putting.  If and when he gets that going, and all of the top players like Tiger, DJ, JT and Brooks are all in form, I don't see a reason Rory can't win.  He is that good

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

26 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

His biggest problem is putting.

Historically yes, but it is worth noting he was 24th in strokes gained putting last year.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

1 hour ago, 83tobeat said:

When they're all playing their best, it's a crapshoot.  It may come down to whoever gets the lucky bounces.  Rory is going to drive it better than everyone.  However, Tiger is the best iron player ever with superior distance control and ability to hit proper portions of the green over Rory, and if he hits driver like he has been, I think he would have the edge over Rory, despite Rory's extra gear.

There are times when one comes away with the feeling that Rory grew up striking the crap out of the ball but only learned about this thing called 'putting' recently. IMO he finds putting nothing more than a necessary evil. A nuisance. He is more than competent of course but you don't see the thief like intensity on the green like Tiger had/has.

Having said that I think Rory stands head and shoulders above the rest as the true  modern day super star. We are richer for having him.

Vishal S.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator
33 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Watching Hero.. Is Rory graying??

What Hero? Yes he is.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets