IGNORED

Rory McIlroy Topic (Was "Overrated")

senorchipotle

9 hours ago, Shorty said:

Why does ????????  struggle with consistency?

Insert any name you like.

Why doesn't the most talented player in the world win every week? Because it's golf.

Think there is a some room between winning every week and what we would call inconsistent...

3 hours ago, measureoffsetinnm said:

Think there is a some room between winning every week and what we would call inconsistent...

He is pretty consistent. Because he is so good we expect more from him than others. Just because he disappoints doesn't mean that he is inconsistent. If the below was anyone but Rory you'd call it a good entire career in the space of two and a half years.

998354202_ScreenShot2021-05-12at12_21_36pm.thumb.png.0ecac319aaf5c34d0c466ce0ddc14781.png

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

4 hours ago, Shorty said:

He is pretty consistent. Because he is so good we expect more from him than others. Just because he disappoints doesn't mean that he is inconsistent. If the below was anyone but Rory you'd call it a good entire career in the space of two and a half years.

998354202_ScreenShot2021-05-12at12_21_36pm.thumb.png.0ecac319aaf5c34d0c466ce0ddc14781.png

So is it that our expectations are unrealistic?

19 hours ago, Shorty said:

Why does ????????  struggle with consistency?

Insert any name you like.

Why doesn't the most talented player in the world win every week? Because it's golf.

Maybe Tiger is part of the problem. He set an unprecedented bar height and every promising talent since has been compared to him, but the reality is that Tiger is the anomaly. Every other professional golfer has a larger variation in their performances, and that is the norm.

Rory emerged in a time after Tiger had dominated and when he showed his talent, a lot of people expected him to contend with Tiger. When he fell short, the word «overrated» was thrown into the discussion. He could beat Tiger and everyone else, just not as frequently as Tiger.

@measureoffsetinnm Yes. If we compare Rory to every other golfer not named Tiger, he is one of the best.

Look at Spieth, Koepka, DJ, JT etc. They got periods of greatness and periods of less than great play.

Edited by Zeph

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, measureoffsetinnm said:

So is it that our expectations are unrealistic?

I think we like Rory and don’t like to see him struggle at times. But golf is hard and he also has been trying a few changes. First, last fall was adding distance which he admits caused problems. Second, he added a high fade to his long irons. Those take time to dial in. Lastly, there are a lot of great golfers out there.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I never cared for Rory, not sure exactly why. I really wouldn't get  excited to play a golf round with him. 

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

9 hours ago, Billy Z said:

I never cared for Rory, not sure exactly why. I really wouldn't get  excited to play a golf round with him. 

That will no doubt cause a great deal of heartache and many sleepless nights for poor Rory. 😇

• Funny 1

9 hours ago, Billy Z said:

The only time I think Rory really irritated me was he he made the common and foolish statement that rugby was just like American football but without the pads. Not remotely true and absolute nonsense.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

The only time I think Rory really irritated me was he he made the common and foolish statement that rugby was just like American football but without the pads. Not remotely true and absolute nonsense.

Rugby League (not Rugby, that means Rugby Union) isn't really like American Football, but it is a faster and tougher game and some of the players only wear very light padding. Most wear none. Do not mistake "Rugby" for Rugby League.

My point is that if you think he's talking about tackling and you look up Rugby you'll see Rugby Union, which is a running and passing game. They don't tackle like in League. I'm not making a comment about American Football. I love it. 

Edited by Shorty

5 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Adding tackling to golf could make things interesting...

I would like a rule requiring  it applied when Patrick Reed, Gary Player and Matt Kuchar are playing. :-)

5 hours ago, Shorty said:

Rugby League (not Rugby, that means Rugby Union) isn't really like American Football, but it is a faster and tougher game and some of the players only wear very light padding. Most wear none. Do not mistake "Rugby" for Rugby League.

My point is that if you think he's talking about tackling and you look up Rugby you'll see Rugby Union, which is a running and passing game. They don't tackle like in League. I'm not making a comment about American Football. I love it. 

What are the injury rates like compared to American football?

8 hours ago, Shorty said:

That will no doubt cause a great deal of heartache and many sleepless nights for poor Rory. 😇

Har har, I doubt Mr R would even care. 

8 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I guess I feel the announcers fawn over him a bit too much. 'Ireland's golden boy'. 

11 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Having played both, I would agree. Rugby is a lot of fun to play though.

I like Rory. I wonder if his mother minded him hitting balls into the washing machine at home.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Having played both, I would agree. Rugby is a lot of fun to play though.

I like Rory. I wonder if his mother minded him hitting balls into the washing machine at home.

Yeah I like Rory too. More as of the past year. He’s made some great comments and I’ve liked his attitude on various subjects. I don’t think he’s overrated at all. He’s not even close to Tiger, but nobody really is…including Jack.😃🤭

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• iacas changed the title to Rory McIlroy Topic (Was "Overrated")
2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Yeah I like Rory too. More as of the past year. He’s made some great comments and I’ve liked his attitude on various subjects. I don’t think he’s overrated at all. He’s not even close to Tiger, but nobody really is…including Jack.😃🤭

Sometimes I wonder if the announcers over patronize golfers? J Nantz seems to have this action down pat. To me, this may generate some dislike for individuals? Also, being very competitive as I am, he being from Ireland and the Ryder Cup competition, may also have it's influence.