Jump to content
IGNORED

Rory McIlroy Topic (Was "Overrated")


Recommended Posts

I guess it’s a popularity contest... which season would Rory of rather had- his or Brooks’? I’m betting on Brooks’ which makes his POY win a bit idiotic in my book. 

To the topic of this thread- I don’t think Rory is overrated but I do think he’s underachieved. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Where did you get the time machine?  Can you tell us some results so we can get bets down? Signed, Biff Tannen  

Posted Images

10 hours ago, iacas said:

Clearly your opinion doesn't match that of the PGA Tour members who voted.

Rory won the FedExCup, too, which I'm sure they value.

I get that. I’m just saying I disagree with their voting, that’s all. I personally thought Brooks should have won it, and this coming from a McIlroy fan in myself.

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, ChrisP said:

I get that. I’m just saying I disagree with their voting, that’s all. I personally thought Brooks should have won it, and this coming from a McIlroy fan in myself.

Perhaps if you ask yourself why you’re a Rory fan you’ll see how he won over Koepka. If I was a voter I’d certainly have voted for Rory. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 9/13/2019 at 11:09 AM, Vinsk said:

Perhaps if you ask yourself why you’re a Rory fan you’ll see how he won over Koepka. If I was a voter I’d certainly have voted for Rory. 

It depends what you put emphasis on. I’m big on majors, so Koepka’s majors performances outweighs Rory’s Players win and Fed Ex win, in my mind. But if I’m a player and don’t weigh majors in much and look at all the body of work, then yes, I would prilly lean Rory. It’s all on what how big majors weigh. Rory really did nothing in them but did a lot in everything else.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ChrisP said:

It depends what you put emphasis on. I’m big on majors, so Koepka’s majors performances outweighs Rory’s Players win and Fed Ex win, in my mind. But if I’m a player and don’t weigh majors in much and look at all the body of work, then yes, I would prilly lean Rory. It’s all on what how big majors weigh. Rory really did nothing in them but did a lot in everything else.

I think a player who came back from significant injury and no playing who beat the odds and won another Major is a good candidate..😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 9/13/2019 at 8:15 AM, skydog said:

I guess it’s a popularity contest... which season would Rory of rather had- his or Brooks’? I’m betting on Brooks’ which makes his POY win a bit idiotic in my book. 

 

That's complete BS.

If Greg Norman had a season with 15 world wide wins and another with one win, The Masters, he'd take the single win year. But the 15 win year is the better year.

McIlroy had a better year than Koepka. A single major does not trump everything else unless you are a player trying to fill holes in your CV.

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

That's complete BS.

If Greg Norman had a season with 15 world wide wins and another with one win, The Masters, he'd take the single win year. But the 15 win year is the better year.

McIlroy had a better year than Koepka. A single major does not trump everything else unless you are a player trying to fill holes in your CV.

What’s complete BS? You really think Rory would rather have his FedEx cup and players wins (and whatever other tournaments he won) this year over another major? Dream on dude- if Rory is being honest, he takes Brooks’ year over his and it’s not particularly close. 

 

Edited by skydog
Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, skydog said:

What’s complete BS? You really think Rory would rather have his FedEx cup and players wins (and whatever other tournaments he won) this year over another major? Dream on dude- if Rory is being honest, he takes Brooks’ year over his and it’s not particularly close. 

 

Perhaps you should read my post. McIlroy would rather have a single major in a year, sure. - Hence my Norman example. Fact is, Rory had a better year than Koepka and was clearly POTY. Especially if the PGATour want to pretend that The Players is a Major.

Bring it all a year forward and say it is Hovland who has the wins that Rory had and Koepka wins one major. Who is POTY? Not Koepka. It wouldn't even be  a discussion. It's about the year's achievement, not what a player with $180 million in the bank would prefer.

Edited by leftybutnotPM
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

Perhaps you should read my post. McIlroy would rather have a single major in a year, sure. - Hence my Norman example. Fact is, Rory had a better year than Koepka and was clearly POTY. Especially if the PGATour want to pretend that The Players is a Major.

Key word- pretend. Just like with the FedEx cup- pretend importance. Anyways, I’ll agree to disagree as I care about as much about the poty award as I do the FedEx cup...

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2019 at 8:15 PM, Vinsk said:

I think a player who came back from significant injury and no playing who beat the odds and won another Major is a good candidate..😀

How’d the rest of that season go for him after that major? 🧐

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ChrisP said:

How’d the rest of that season go for him after that major? 🧐

How did Armstrong’s career go after that moon landing? 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 1 month later...

McIlroy is the most naturally gifted player on tour and Koepka has to work very hard to be better than Rory,If Rory could be bothered to step it up he would win much more but he does it his way,its up to him its his gig 👍.

Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, 83tobeat said:

Koepka has to work very hard to be better than Rory

Koepka has stated that he rarely practices on non tournament weeks. Even still, so what? What does that have to do with Rory being overrated?

36 minutes ago, 83tobeat said:

If Rory could be bothered to step it up he would win much more

What does this mean? Do you honestly think Rory doesn't want to win every tournament he plays in?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There's so much more to winning tournaments than having a perfect swing, which I believe Rory has.  Rory is not over-rated.  But I do feel that he's probably disappointed himself for not winning more majors.  As of late, it does appear that Brooks is a better golfer, although I do think that that can turn around very quickly.  When you think about how great these golfers are, you never know who will get on a roll.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/23/2019 at 2:19 PM, Herkimer said:

There's so much more to winning tournaments than having a perfect swing, which I believe Rory has.  Rory is not over-rated.  But I do feel that he's probably disappointed himself for not winning more majors.  As of late, it does appear that Brooks is a better golfer, although I do think that that can turn around very quickly.  When you think about how great these golfers are, you never know who will get on a roll.

Agree with this,also McIlroy is such a natural talent that when he hits his form periods he's the best player in the world for sure.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • iacas changed the title to Rory McIlroy Topic (Was "Overrated")

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Agreed. This is hard to watch and really boring. Commercials every 2 minutes (thanks, DVR and ff!) Perhaps the last day will be worth watching, with the gold on the line. I would not be surprised if some guy you never heard of takes a medal.  
    • I think it’s even worse than what you describe.   I live in an area where people are cheering that there will be no mask mandates and they like to rub it in peoples faces.   They are literally trying to own people who are taking it seriously.   I mean, people are just disgusting.  I can’t even muster anything in me to feel remotely sorry for people like that, nor have anything to do with them.   I’m sure there were lots of people in generations past who took the easy way out and did the wrong things in prior pandemics and war times, but that’s not terribly easy to find in history books.  Books will be written about how people not only killed themselves, but in their twisted belief that they are “protecting their freedoms” they are stripping them away from others.      I have 2 kids under the age of twelve.   With Delta allowed to become dominant because “people want to live their best life” (at others expense), they now are scared to go back to school (and the idiot system won’t do remote learning this year), won’t be able to travel and see their grandparents* , and can do less than 3 months ago.   Nice job folks.   * their grandparents are total a-holes though, so I won’t shed a tear.
    • Here I am, yesterday, doing the day 11 drill.  This represents my status after about ten minutes or so of doing the drill.  I really like it, and I can see how it will help me get better, and I plan to do this one more regularly.  However, I'm not sure I'm doing it right (similar with the snapping sticks drill, where I was stopping wrong).  There's even a really bad putt in this video that I was tempted to edit out, but decided to leave in (since my bad shots are instructive to how I'm doing it wrong, I think). As for other drills, I'm not sure how many I should be posting videos.  Part of me feels like I'm semi-spamming this thread (and I really should have done these 15-16 months ago). And in looking at my last few videos, including two I sent to Evolvr a week ago, it looks like my tripod gets tilted, I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong there.
    • Saw this interesting drill for encouraging hip rotation by deliberately opening the face in the downswing. Anyone tried this? I’d worried it will develop a bad habit of opening the face at the top of the swing.  
    • "With the delta variant taking off around the U.S., the federal government Tuesday updated its masking guidelines for fully vaccinated people. The new advice is to mask up indoors if you live in a place with "substantial" or "high" coronavirus transmission. (The guidance for people who are unvaccinated remains the same: Always mask up indoors.)" Check your county's transmission rates:   Do You Need To Wear A Mask Indoors Where You Live? Check This Map The CDC wants vaccinated people to wear masks indoors if the coronavirus is spreading widely where they live. Find out the level of virus transmission in your county. And, this was interesting: "A week after the crowds descended upon Provincetown, Massachusetts, to celebrate the Fourth of July -- the holiday President Joe Biden hoped would mark the nation's liberation from COVID-19 -- the manager of the Cape Cod beach town said he was aware of "a handful of positive COVID cases among folks" who spent time there. "We are in touch with the Health Department and Outer Cape Health Services and are closely monitoring the data," Alex Morse told reporters. The announcement wasn't unusual with roughly half of the country still unvaccinated and flare-ups of the virus popping up in various states. But within weeks, health officials seemed to be on to something much bigger. The outbreak quickly grew to the hundreds and most of them appeared to be vaccinated. As of Thursday, 882 people were tied to the Provincetown outbreak. Among those living in Massachusetts, 74% of them were fully immunized, yet officials said the vast majority were also reporting symptoms. Seven people were reported hospitalized. The initial findings of the investigation led by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, in conjunction with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, seemed to have huge implications. Before Provincetown, health officials had been operating under the assumption that it was extraordinarily rare for a vaccinated person to become infected with the virus. And if they did, they probably wouldn't end up passing it on to others, such as children too young to qualify for the vaccine or people who were medically vulnerable. The idea that vaccines halt transmission of the virus was largely behind the CDC's decision in May suggesting vaccinated people could safely go without their masks indoors and in crowds, even if others were unvaccinated. But that assumption had been based on studies of earlier versions of the virus. Delta was known for its "hyper-transmissibility," or as one former White House adviser put it "COVID on steroids." "What has changed is the virus," said Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert and Biden's chief medical adviser. When a vaccinated person gets infected with delta -- called a "breakthrough infection" -- "the level of virus in their nasopharynx is about 1,000 times higher than with the alpha variant," Fauci said in an interview Wednesday with MSNBC. All indications now are that the Provincetown outbreak investigation is among the pieces of new evidence behind the CDC's decision to ask Americans to once again put on their masks indoors, even if they are vaccinated."   CDC mask decision followed stunning findings from Cape Cod beach outbreak - ABC News The CDC's mask decision followed stunning findings from a Cape Cod beach outbreak. The viral load of vaccinated beachgoers changed what we know about the delta variant.  
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. amgolfer
      amgolfer
      (37 years old)
    2. At least 7 handi-andy
      At least 7 handi-andy
      (30 years old)
    3. MSDOGS1976
      MSDOGS1976
      (67 years old)
    4. Rob Lane
      Rob Lane
      (62 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...