IGNORED

Rory McIlroy Topic (Was "Overrated")

senorchipotle

Nah gotta disagree here with the motivation and fire or lack of, I remember after he won in quail furyk said he was on the range at 6 the next morning before anyone, and he sold the ferrari lol. To me it seems he only really cares about majors, kinda like woods, he has serious competed in majors already at 21 and should have grabbed one, if he did then he would be level with woods and alot of time to win another, Im not saying he will better woods I dont think so but he has plenty of time and when his games clicks(quail) no-one on the planet could handle it(maybe 2000 woods). All in all its too early to tell but I think he will get around 10 or more in his career. As for over-hyped in standard tournaments yes, but in majors he derserves every bit of it.

when his games clicks(quail) no-one on the planet could handle it(maybe 2000 woods).

Did you watch any professional golf in 2010? A lot of guys can shoot low rounds. If they all did it on the same day then whoever set up the course would be fired. I like Rory's game, but to say emphatically that he's better than anyone else when his game clicks is to drink the same kool aid the OP is talking about.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Did you watch any professional golf in 2010? A lot of guys can shoot low rounds. If they all did it on the same day then whoever set up the course would be fired. I like Rory's game, but to say emphatically that he's better than anyone else when his game clicks is to drink the same kool aid the OP is talking about.

The back nine in quail was perfection not the scoring but the way in which he scored and how he hit it, 350 drive 200 5 iron uphill to 4 feet, quail is a proper course on the uspga no 29 unders there, I watched alot of coverage the last 5 years and never seen anything like that, so yes when his game clicks I cant think of a better player on the planet

The back nine in quail was perfection not the scoring but the way in which he scored and how he hit it, 350 drive 200 5 iron uphill to 4 feet, quail is a proper course on the uspga no 29 unders there, I watched alot of coverage the last 5 years and never seen anything like that, so yes when his game clicks I cant think of a better player on the planet

I think I'm starting to see what the OP was going on about. If nine consecutive holes defines a golfer then Carl Pettersson and Mark Calcavecchia are easily as good as Tiger Woods too.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I think I'm starting to see what the OP was going on about. If nine consecutive holes defines a golfer then Carl Pettersson and Mark Calcavecchia are easily as good as Tiger Woods too.

Ive never seen anyone hit the ball that well ever, absolute perfection, out of 8 majors, three 3ts 10t 20t t40 and 2 cuts at the age of 21, so to say hes overrated when majors come along is crazy if anything hes underrated, so to say he,ll grab 10 majors at the end of his career isnt a big stretch, and if he does then he has not received too much hype or rating.

Ive never seen anyone hit the ball that well ever, absolute perfection, out of 8 majors, three 3ts 10t 20t t40 and 2 cuts at the age of 21, so to say hes overrated when majors come along is crazy if anything hes underrated, so to say he,ll grab 10 majors at the end of his career isnt a big stretch, and if he does then he has not received too much hype or rating.

are you serious?

How many golfers have won 10 majors? He's good but he's nowhere near that level.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

are you serious?

Hes got 25-30 years left on tour, hes had 3 great chances in the last two years if he keeps improving with the time and talent his possibilities are endless, yeah not many players have won 10 majors but how many people at that age have made such an impression on majors at the age of 19-20 so consistently?? For 10 majors to go his way in his career wouldnt shock me in the slightest, but we will wait and see

are you serious?

He is good. Winning majors takes skill, tenacity, focus, luck, patience, confidence, dedication, and whatever else you want to use to describe Nicklaus, Woods, Trevino, Player, Hogan, Snead, Palmer, Watson, Jones, etc.

Would anyone ever have guessed in the early 90s that Davis Love III would only have one major in his career? For a moment or two, I thought he might make a run in this year's US Open, but he ran out of gas.

Then I guess we should all count on Goydos getting at least 3-4 majors soon. C'mon Paul, we're rooting for you!

Then I guess we should all count on Goydos getting at least 3-4 majors soon. C'mon Paul, we're rooting for you!

Because he shot 59 on a putt-putt course in some reject event that he didnt even win, whats his best major finish? I will tell you T12 back in 1999, did he hit the ball as long and straight as rors no he just scored well.

are you serious?

how can you say that, you dont know how much/little he will improve, he's only 21

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

Because he shot 59 on a putt-putt course in some reject event that he didnt even win, whats his best major finish? I will tell you T12 back in 1999, did he hit the ball as long and straight as rors no he just scored well.

Wow, you really don't seem much of a grasp of humor as well as the salient points expressed by others. The neg rep is kind of understandable......

Wow, you really don't seem much of a grasp of humor as well as the salient points expressed by others. The neg rep is kind of understandable......

Of course I knew you werent serious but you made that comment to try and show a good score means nothing but Im not talking about a good score Im talking about a performance and you clearly failed to grasp that with your sarcastic comment in jest to mine earlier

Of course I knew you werent serious but you made that comment to try and show a good score means nothing but Im not talking about a good score Im talking about a performance and you clearly failed to grasp that with your sarcastic comment in jest to mine earlier

So he shot a good score? There isn't a pro on tour that hasn't had a streak of holes where they could do no wrong. Your focus on this is kind of like the Monty Python "Argument Sketch". Except it was entertaining.

So he shot a good score? There isn't a pro on tour that hasn't had a streak of holes where they could do no wrong. Your focus on this is kind of like the Monty Python "Argument Sketch". Except it was entertaining.

I want Rory to be great. Golf needs some new heroes. I can see players from Northern Ireland and Italy winning a few majors in the next decade. But let's put the coronation on hold until one of the young guys actually seals the deal. McDowell sure isn't a young gun anyway (his pastel cardigans remind me of the Golden Girls).

I want Rory to be great. Golf needs some new heroes. I can see players from Northern Ireland and Italy winning a few majors in the next decade. But let's put the coronation on hold until one of the young guys actually seals the deal. McDowell sure isn't a young gun anyway (his pastel cardigans remind me of the Golden Girls).

I hope so too although I don't think Rory will accomplish what is already expected of him. I also hope G-Mac does more great things, and I expect he probably will. It's kind of odd but I really like the golfers from the Belfast area, and add Feherty to Rory and Graeme as sort of a Northern Ireland Three Muskateers. I'm not sure why I like the golfers from Belfast so much, aside from having been to that city on business quite a few times - maybe drinking in the downtown pubs there that still have some bullet holes in the walls helps create such an affinity. Or maybe it's just Feherty's humor.

And now that you mention it, I saw G-Mac up close at Pebble last summer after Round 2, and he did sort of remind me of Bea Arthur......

Clambake,
I greatly enjoyed your post #23. So the key question then is, how likely is it that a Type 2 (talented but lacking grit and drive) will transition to a Type 1 (compulsive, hypercompetitive, Hoganesque), and what are the circumstances that might promote such a conversion?

Boredom with being a type 2 perhaps, or the realization of subconscious ambitions, or love of lucre, or ..... ?

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball