IGNORED

Rory McIlroy Topic (Was "Overrated")

senorchipotle

Well-played.

Originally Posted by shades9323

You sound very bitter.  You must have been dating the Perkins waitress Tiger played hide the salami with...

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Originally Posted by makaveli

I have this feeling that if Rory had been American, after this victory we would not talk about him being overrated but instead about him being the new golf legend...

What's with all this nationalism associated with McIlroy's win? Is this some sort of purity test European fans have for their players? I was reading some comments on the BBC site yesterday and a big pissing match broke out over whether Rory is technically British because of his passport. Has any American Sand-Trappers ever hear any other American say anything negative about McIlroy because he is from N. Ireland? I doubt it.

Originally Posted by 1par2win

What's with all this nationalism associated with McIlroy's win? Is this some sort of purity test European fans have for their players? I was reading some comments on the BBC site yesterday and a big pissing match broke out over whether Rory is technically British because of his passport. Has any American Sand-Trappers ever hear any other American say anything negative about McIlroy because he is from N. Ireland? I doubt it.

My family is originally from the UK, does that mean we are related?

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Hello 1par2win, I didn't know anything about the nationalism and BBC thing you mentioned, it was just a feeling that came in my mind yesterday, I think the BBC thing can be explained because North Ireland has always been a troubled country between Ireland and UK.

Of course nobody is telling something bad about him being NIrish, even because this is pretty nonsense IMHO: my point was not about saying negative things but considering him overrated, or still wanting to compare him to Fowler (#50 WGR after the US Open)

Cheers :)

iMak

^^

Speaking off the BBC, they don't seem to know what to call him themselves.

When he is winning he is "The young British Star" and when he isn't doing well (like final round of the Masters) they called him "The young Irishman"

I don't care either way. It is an awkward situation though (Especially when the Olympics come up in 2016)

Originally Posted by topspin4hand

I thought Rory turned pro in 2007 (thus making the 5-year mark next year)?

Jack's first Major win was in 1962, so five years from now is what I used (not based on years being a pro) to make it more comparable.

Originally Posted by makaveli

Hello 1par2win, I didn't know anything about the nationalism and BBC thing you mentioned, it was just a feeling that came in my mind yesterday, I think the BBC thing can be explained because North Ireland has always been a troubled country between Ireland and UK.

Of course nobody is telling something bad about him being NIrish, even because this is pretty nonsense IMHO: my point was not about saying negative things but considering him overrated, or still wanting to compare him to Fowler (#50 WGR after the US Open)

Cheers :)

iMak

Well, I know one thing is for sure. That 8 shot whipping administered by McIlroy on Congressional and the field pretty much ended the "is he overrated" conversation in my book. The kid looks like something really special. Even if he is European. Just kidding!!!!!

Well, I know one thing is for sure. That 8 shot whipping administered by McIlroy on Congressional and the field pretty much ended the "is he overrated" conversation in my book. The kid looks like something really special. Even if he is European. Just kidding!!!!!

See you at Medinah in 2012 then! ;) (with Manassero as well I hope)

IS HE OVERRATED?

NO

he just DESTROYED the whole field in the us open. Made the best pros look like amateurs.

if tiger had shot the same. there would most definately not be a 'tiger is overrated' thread on here.

more like 'tigers back'

but of course, he is not back, rory is here. and here to stay. BIATCH

Superlight 3.5 Bag
TM Superfast Driver
TM Superfast 3 Wood

Cleveland Hybore Hybrid
X-24 4-SW Irons
Ping Tour 54 - 62 WedgesOriginal Anser Putter Pro V1

Originally Posted by 8.5_Drive

IS HE OVERRATED?

NO

he just DESTROYED the whole field in the us open. Made the best pros look like amateurs.

if tiger had shot the same. there would most definately not be a 'tiger is overrated' thread on here.

more like 'tigers back'

but of course, he is not back, rory is here. and here to stay. BIATCH

Good to hear from the delegation from Compton California. Thanks for contributing.

• Upvote 1

for those who said he had no heart to win...you can't fake tears at augusta. for those who say he's not as good as tiger b/c tiger had a masters under his belt at 21...he could have...if he won a month ago. in my own personal opinion he is and will be a great golfer, however, to think he'll be greater than the 2 greatest golfers the world's ever seen...is quite a hefty thing to put on the kid.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Good to hear from the delegation from Compton California. Thanks for contributing.

im not sure i understand the question

Superlight 3.5 Bag
TM Superfast Driver
TM Superfast 3 Wood

Cleveland Hybore Hybrid
X-24 4-SW Irons
Ping Tour 54 - 62 WedgesOriginal Anser Putter Pro V1

Originally Posted by 8.5_Drive

im not sure i understand the question

It wasn't a question, it was a statement involving your use of "gangsta talk" in the course of discussing a golf related subject. I do hope I won't get a cap in my @$$ for my support of Tiger Woods.

I think there is a whole crop of young talent worth watching, and that's what I plan to do: watch, not prognosticate.  It's like watching a movie with my kids, they always want to know what's going to happen now when all they have to do is watch and find out!

In my  bag: 

Diablo Octane Tour 9.5, 18  -  6DT 19 (3I Hybrid) - 

Diablo Forged Irons 5-PW -  Tom Watson wedges 52,56,60 - 64 (generic) 

D.A.R.T. Belly Putter

B330-RX Balls

i think a lot of people are not realising that this is an old thread

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

Interesting. I thought if a thread about an Ulsterman (someone from Northern Ireland, for those playing at home) were to get nasty, it'd be on sectarian grounds. Sadly however, it's no suprise to see good ole' timey, thiny-veiled racist blasts can come up in our American discourse. I love how, a few posts later, you clarified with the "Gangsta Talk" and "bust a cap in your a$$" references. Enlightened.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

The whole argument on the BBC is nothing to do with sectarianism. It was a kinda half joke that got out of hand. Technically speaking Rory ( and all ni golfers) play for ireland as a whole. As the Irish golf union take care of both the north and south. The comment was "even if he's got a uk passport he still plays golf for ireland) Some folk took it a bit to heart. It's a bit like Andy Murray. english when he wins and Scottish when he loses.