:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by Kieran123

I think what made it funny was the fact it was so far form being true

\start thread

This is more funny.

PAAHAHAHAHA. Seriously, you cannot honestly believe that???

Tiger has totally lost his mind. And with such a fragile game like golf, it will just get worse.

I give it a few years before he is racking up lines with charlie sheen wondering where it all went wrong

Superlight 3.5 Bag
TM Superfast Driver
TM Superfast 3 Wood

Cleveland Hybore Hybrid
X-24 4-SW Irons
Ping Tour 54 - 62 WedgesOriginal Anser Putter Pro V1

Originally Posted by deasy55

^^

It's funny because it's true

I disagree. It's SAD because it's true.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Come on guys, the kid is barely out of short pants.  He destroyed everything at the US Open - records, the course and the rest of the field.  He certainly has the talent, without question.  Why are his drive and ambition brought into question?  I don't understand that one at all.  What indicators (on a golf course under playing conditions) has he given that he can't be bothered winning?  Naivety from some posters, and I think he'll win a lot more than 3 or 4 majors....

Driver  Superfast 9.5 Aldila NV 65 stiff

Hybrid  Launcher Hybrid 20.5 Fujikura Stiff

Irons  Eye 2 2 iron  X-20 Tour Project X 3-PW 

Wedges  Vokey 52* & 56*  60*

Putter  20-20a 

It's evident the 24-hour news cycle and relentless media/sports complex has left golf fans with the attention span of tweens watching MTV.  How else to explain the rash of "overrated" comments about Rory McIlroy from posters on this forum?

All the kid (he is 22 after all!) has done in the past year is destroy th field to win a US Open, lead the Masters for 3 rds (and 9 holes), play 3 terrific rounds of golf (including a 63) at the Old Course in an Open Championship and miss a playoff at the PGA Championship at Whistling Straits by 1 stroke...and his reward is to be called overrated???

Golf is a fickle game, so it's impossible to say how many or what else Rory will win, but c'mon people!  How can a person rightly look at his game, his accomplishments, and suggest he is overrated unless they are reacting to the brainless and monotonous comparisons to Tiger, Jack, and the greatest, most accomplished players to ever have played the game?

I understand ESPN and Golf Channel have to fill air time, if what you really take from Congressional CC is that McIlroy is overrated, then I want some of what you're smoking.

Oh, and one other thing:  Villegas????  Really?????

Ping i15 9.0 (UST Mamiya S)

Cobra X-Speed 4+ Wood (Aldila S)

Cobra Baffler 3-Hybrid (19)

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro (4-GW) KBS Tour S

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Never Compromise Gambler (34")

This thread was started last year on the 6th of November. It was still a silly thread at that time though due to his top 3 finishes in the previous 2 majors.

Originally Posted by carrx

It's evident the 24-hour news cycle and relentless media/sports complex has left golf fans with the attention span of tweens watching MTV.  How else to explain the rash of "overrated" comments about Rory McIlroy from posters on this forum?

All the kid (he is 22 after all!) has done in the past year is destroy th field to win a US Open, lead the Masters for 3 rds (and 9 holes), play 3 terrific rounds of golf (including a 63) at the Old Course in an Open Championship and miss a playoff at the PGA Championship at Whistling Straits by 1 stroke...and his reward is to be called overrated???

Golf is a fickle game, so it's impossible to say how many or what else Rory will win, but c'mon people!  How can a person rightly look at his game, his accomplishments, and suggest he is overrated unless they are reacting to the brainless and monotonous comparisons to Tiger, Jack, and the greatest, most accomplished players to ever have played the game?

I understand ESPN and Golf Channel have to fill air time, if what you really take from Congressional CC is that McIlroy is overrated, then I want some of what you're smoking.

Oh, and one other thing:  Villegas????  Really?????

once again i'll repeat that i dont think everybody realises this thread was started agesssssssssssss ago, i dont think anyone thinks he's overrated now

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

Rory is very good, to be able to display that kind of performance during the master and winning the open takes great skills and determination. I think he will be as good as tiger. Let hope tiger will be back to form soon, the battle between tiger and rory will be very nice to watch!

• 1 year later...

Long time lurker, first time poster. I was looking through some old threads and this one is a goldmine!!!

Originally Posted by senorchipotle

He hasn't shown me that fire you need to be a multiple major winner.

This one was after the 2011 US Open:

Originally Posted by soloredd

He's not going to win majors by 8 strokes again.

Originally Posted by senorchipotle

I think Rory will be the next Lee Westwood

I absolutely think he can blow out the competition at the majors. If he gets hot putting, and hitting greens, its game over, no one, maybe tiger if he got a hot streak could compete. The problem is i don't think he's got that all absorbing drive like Tiger did. Golf was tiger's life, he eat drank slept golf, period. Rory, he wants to balance his life with golf. Which is ok for him, if Rory has his game on, i think no on on the planet right now can compete with him. I just think Rory's B game is everyone else's A game. Look at his US open win, the guy bellow him played out of his mind, Jason Day, didn't come close. If Rory didn't blow up on the Master's he was going to win by near double digits.

Also, he's winning tournaments in a time were the competition is very tough. More athletes, better technology, just knowledge of the game is so high right now. If Tiger had to play week in and week out against these people in the early 2000's, sorry but he probably looses 4 majors off his record. There would be a handful of people in contention against him. These players today, are brazen competitors who would not have wilted at the mere presence of tiger woods.

Is Rory, Tiger woods level back in early 2000, no, no one will because you got to be Tiger, you have to be that into golf. If Tiger's game from early 2000's was a 100, then Rory would be 95. But if Rory had the obsession Tiger has, Rory's cieling is higher than Tigers. I think if Rory applied himself, had no life outside of golf, ate drank slept golf, he would be near a 105-110. I think he has that much talent. To me Rory's swing is like when Jack came out, its obscene. Tiger's swing is manufactured through hard work and derived on stringent mechanics. Rory's is just so natural. To me, if you take a Natural swing and apply the workmanship of someone like Tiger. Tiger has to work hard to be at his top form. Tiger isn't some great talent. He has Talent, but he doesn't have Rory Talent. Tiger worked harder than anyone. But if you take Tiger's work ethic and put it to Rory's ability, no one would touch him. But Rory is laid back, enjoy life, play golf. He doesn't want to waste life, which is his choice.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I always thought Rory was just a tad over hyped.   UNTIL I watched what he did in the final round last sunday at Dubai - coming from behind, birdieing the last 5 holes to win.    especially after that fantastic birdie on a long par 3 on 17 which put him in the lead & going into #18 when he had it won & all he had to do was par the hole - he pulled the driver and laid it out there 336 yards, and set himself up for a typical Rory birdie opportunity (which he made to win by 2).    He has one gear - and isn't afraid to use it all the time .    The guy exudes confidence - he knows what he is capable of and goes about his business.    All this being ill for the entire tournament.    Watching him this year made me a believer - he is the real deal & the sky's the limit (I just hope he doesn't blow it with an equipment change, but if anybody can adapt, he can).

• Upvote 1

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Rickie Fowler and Michelle Wie are golfers I consider over hyped, Rory has earned his place in the list of the top golfers on tour today and potentially if he continues to play well, of all time.

Joe Paradiso

hi, Rory is all that!!!  i am no big fan but his potential must be reminding all the hall of fame legends of someone they seen looking back at them in the mirror. The boy grew up playing in some of the funkiest weather conditions in golf and conquered the handicap system. I have listened to him speak and i think his processes are bang on the money mentally. Will he keep the drive? does he want to be the best of all time?. Only time will tell. One other thing,  if either he or tiger can beat jack' records then it will be an astonishing feat because of all the distractions and pitfalls of modern life. Best of luck to them both.

yeah, rory is something special.  im not sure theres really anyone can challenge him when he is on.  at Kiawah last year, when he got up and down after his tee shot got stuck in that tree, i knew it was over.  he is so good when he is on.  however his bad rounds are pretty bad, just as bad as anyone elses.

Colin P.

Originally Posted by JBradshaw

Long time lurker, first time poster. I was looking through some old threads and this one is a goldmine!!!

This one was after the 2011 US Open:

Ahhh you beat me to it, and yes this thread is a goldmine! LOL

Rory is a beast

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

I always thought Rory was just a tad over hyped.   UNTIL I watched what he did in the final round last sunday at Dubai - coming from behind, birdieing the last 5 holes to win.    especially after that fantastic birdie on a long par 3 on 17 which put him in the lead & going into #18 when he had it won & all he had to do was par the hole - he pulled the driver and laid it out there 336 yards, and set himself up for a typical Rory birdie opportunity (which he made to win by 2).    He has one gear - and isn't afraid to use it [U]all the time[/U].    The guy exudes confidence - he knows what he is capable of and goes about his business.    All this being ill for the entire tournament.    Watching him this year made me a believer - he is the real deal & the sky's the limit (I just hope he doesn't blow it with an equipment change, but if anybody can adapt, he can).

Just now? He's been working his way steadily up the OWGR for some years now. Winning majors early, reaching the #1 spot. You don't get there by being overrated. Of course, those who compare him to Tiger might have been a bit too enthusiastic.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Is Rory overrated? Is he a match for Tiger?

If you compare their careers to date you will see many records set by Tiger have since fallen to Rory, youngest to do x, youngest to achieve y. More recently Rory's World number 1 status also bears up similarly, including the gap he's building between himself and the current world #2.

To date I'd say Rory shades it BUT will he match Tiger's achievements over the next few years? Who knows but if I was having a bet on it I'd say "no." Tiger was awesome when at his very best, although I don't subscribe to the hype that he had no competition. He had several very good golfers chasing him.

I also believe that there is still life in Tiger's game, and that Tiger and Rory may well have some serious battles in the next few years.

We'll he match Tiger in Majors, Wins, no. But does that mean he was as good as tiger, that's a different story. Because Tiger played in a day were only one other person really worked out as hard as he or practiced as hard as he did, Vijay. Even tiger said it himself, it was him and Vijay in the weight room. Now its a ton of golfers in the weight rooms. There is more athletic golfer's, there are more golfer's who are not scared of Tiger, because Tiger isn't this sudden shock to the golf world.

Really Majority of tiger's wins could be attributed to the fear factor, and basically he was a one of a kind golfer who added athletics into golf. Now we majority of the top players work out just like tiger, and are athletic. We can see that in the power advantage on the course.

Rory has a much stiffer test than Tiger did. I think if Rory wins half as many majors and Tournaments as Tiger did in the next ten years, it will be close to what Tiger has done.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping: