IGNORED

Rory McIlroy Topic (Was "Overrated")

senorchipotle

16 hours ago, Shorty said:

Rugby League (not Rugby, that means Rugby Union) isn't really like American Football, but it is a faster and tougher game and some of the players only wear very light padding. Most wear none. Do not mistake "Rugby" for Rugby League.

My point is that if you think he's talking about tackling and you look up Rugby you'll see Rugby Union, which is a running and passing game. They don't tackle like in League. I'm not making a comment about American Football. I love it. 

I think at least 8 out of these 10 hits would have killed me instantly. The 'game' is def a remnant of an ancient ethos. Right up there with bare-knuckle boxing. 

On topic.. Rory is a proper superstar. Just a solid human all around. For a an elite level performer that requires compartmentalization to get there and even more difficult stay there he is surprisingly grounded, honest and vulnerable. 

And 'overrated'?? Please.      

Edited by GolfLug
  • Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

49 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

Sometimes I wonder if the announcers over patronize golfers? J Nantz seems to have this action down pat. To me, this may generate some dislike for individuals? Also, being very competitive as I am, he being from Ireland and the Ryder Cup competition, may also have it's influence. 

They all do. It’s a virus. They do it with young golfers all the time. They can’t help themselves. A new/young player places I the top 10 or even pulls out a miracle win and it’s immediately ‘ keep your eyes on this one…he’ll be on many leaderboards.’ No. They won’t.

• Thumbs Up 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

11 hours ago, measureoffsetinnm said:

What are the injury rates like compared to American football?

I don't think there are many Rugby League players at the top level who escape without knee and shoulder problems  after they retire.

1 hour ago, Billy Z said:

he being from Ireland and the Ryder Cup competition, may also have it's influence. 

Not to be pedantic, but he's not from Ireland. He's from Norther Ireland. Big difference.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

41 minutes ago, Shorty said:

I don't think there are many Rugby League players at the top level who escape without knee and shoulder problems  after they retire.

Not to be pedantic, but he's not from Ireland. He's from Norther Ireland. Big difference.

Thank you @Shorty, I already knew that, but didn't think it was necessary for the context of my post. But thank you for critiquing me again.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

6 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

... and lions vs. Christians...

Sorry J, that reference didn't ring a bell..

Vishal S.

2 hours ago, Shorty said:

Yeah can't say I'm surprised by that.

Also as I understood it from watching Shane Lowry win at Portrush that the concepts of being from Ireland the island and Ireland the country are separate things? Obviously Portrush is in Northern Ireland but the announcers were still acting as if it was special that someone from Ireland won the Open while it was being held there.

On 5/13/2021 at 7:33 PM, Shorty said:

Half the people in Northern Ireland would disagree hugely with you that tbere is a difference at all so correcting a guy on the net for it is IMO wrong, also Rory had opted to play for Ireland in the Olympics because he has a choice of either UK or Ireland so you are as much wrong as you are right

On 5/13/2021 at 2:33 PM, Shorty said:

OT: FWIW. In the three years I played, we had very few injuries as compared to American Football at our college. When you tackle with your own body, without pads, you learn to do it correctly.

Rory is in good form and I hope he really contends in the PGA and US Open.

• Informative 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

57 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Rory is in good form and I hope he really contends in the PGA and US Open.

but not the Ryder Cup! ;-)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

2 hours ago, Nail said:

Half the people in Northern Ireland would disagree hugely with you that tbere is a difference at all so correcting a guy on the net for it is IMO wrong, also Rory had opted to play for Ireland in the Olympics because he has a choice of either UK or Ireland so you are as much wrong as you are right

Also some things actually are based on the physical rather than political geography - I remember the commentator during the 2019 Open specifically saying Rory and Shane Lowry played in Irish Amateur competitions together for that reason.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don’t, or have never thought Rory was overrated. I do agree with @boogieliciouswhen Rory is in good form, that he contends in the PGA and U.S. Open.  A lot of him trending in these majors is: Rory plays in the U.S. much more than Europe in recent years. So he is used to these Stadium golf courses and the lightning quick, undulating, greens. His higher ball flight holds some of the ledges better than others.

I am a firm believer that Rory is more at peace with himself now that he has a family. It’s just a thought.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

6 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

I am a firm believer that Rory is more at peace with himself now that he has a family. It’s just a thought

Definitely something that could help him keep golf competitions in perspective.

• 5 months later...

It has been a while friends. Rory grabs his 20th PGA tour win against a solid field at the CJ cup. 

Rory: "The last few months I was trying to be someone else to try to get better, and I sorta realized that being me is enough and being me, I can do things like this."

image.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

• 1 year later...

Long time no update, Rory is the first player to win three Fed Ex Cup titles.

image.png

Rory defends his CJ Cup title at a completely different course. Ascends back to #1 in the world. 

image.png

Oh, missed his RBC win as well. 

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Joel Holden

2 hours ago, golfdu said:

Jack Nicklaus' time between his 17th and 18th major was shorter than Rory's last major and now.

Cool, Phil won his first major at 34 years old. Rory is 33.

Joel Holden