IGNORED

Rory McIlroy Topic (Was "Overrated")

senorchipotle

I don't know how you can say he is overrated. Maybe you didn't just watch him dominate the U.S. Open or lead the Masters by 4 strokes after 54 holes?  Sure he couldn't close the door on the Masters like Tiger did in some of his early majors but Rory doesn't have the cocky arrogance of Tiger, I don't think he was raised that way but he will get better at closing... as he just showed.

In 7/10 majors as a pro he was top 20, 5 of those are top 10 and 1 of them is now a win and its only going to get better in the foreseeable future. In Tiger's first 10 majors as a pro he went 8/10 top 20s 5 of them being top 10 and 1 win, kind of similar. Maybe he isn't better than Tiger and Tiger did better outside of majors during the start of his career, but it is still early.

:whistle:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by BunkerBuster

Rory has class. Something Tiger Woods has never had.

You sound very bitter.  You must have been dating the Perkins waitress Tiger played hide the salami with...

For one thing, he just blew away the field at a US Open. Though it wasn't the toughest set up due to the midwest rain, but still, to win by that much, its insane. 2nd, he has one of the greatest swings in recent history. I think he has a better swing than tiger had when Tiger first came out. Now he's gotten his putting down with Stockon, and he has a good short game. I think he has the tools to win 5-7 more majors, and win 2-3 tourniments a year. He might not be that fiery as tiger was, but the kid walks with confidence, he didn't back down to the pressure after the Masters. I think he's primed to start being in the top 5 of the world for the next decade. I don't think anyone will be tiger, hell even now, Tiger isn't jack. I doubt Tiger will beat jacks record in major wins.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have this feeling that if Rory had been American, after this victory we would not talk about him being overrated but instead about him being the new golf legend...

My prediction is Rory Mcilroy will be the next Rory Mcilroy.

He won't get close to Jack's record. That may not ever be broken because fields are so deep now. That's just common sense.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I don't see how you can say he's overrated at this point; he just became the youngest winner of the US Open since Bobby Jones 88 years ago and could have won the previous 3 as well. Maybe  by overrated you meant having far-reaching expectations for his career? But, given what he's already accomplished at this point in his career, it's almost impossible to overrate him.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Originally Posted by Elvisliveson

I don't see how you can say he's overrated at this point; he just became the youngest winner of the US Open since Bobby Jones 88 years ago and could have won the previous 3 as well. Maybe  by overrated you meant having far-reaching expectations for his career? But, given what he's already accomplished at this point in his career, it's almost impossible to overrate him.

Not sure if you noticed, but this thread was actually started in 2010 and ressurected after this win.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by shades9323

Not sure if you noticed, but this thread was actually started in 2010 and ressurected after this win.

True.  I'm sure even Jack had a few detractors in 1961.  It's nearly impossible to project a player's legacy at the onset of one's career.  Resurrect this thread in 2015 to check in on his Majors win total - let's see if his trending towards Jack's 6 Majors win total at the 5-year mark.

If they ever had a rule where you had a play a balanced schedule, a lot of player's records would look different.

Originally Posted by Kieran123

My prediction is Rory Mcilroy will be the next Rory Mcilroy.

He won't get close to Jack's record. That may not ever be broken because fields are so deep now. That's just common sense.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

As long as he doesn't change his swing, or his attitude, I'm predicting him winning 7 or 8. But any number higher than 5 would be great considering the incredible young talent that is overflowing in the world of golf.

Originally Posted by bigbertha19

So many optimistic sports bloggers out there are saying he's filling Tiger's shoes...take www.seatgeek.com/blog/mcilroy-us-open-champion for one (check out the hilarious picture of Rory)--the "McIlroy Era" seems a bit premature.  Most of these 'bandwagoners' don't actually know anything about golf. Sure, the kid has a beautiful swing and there's something about the confidence he has on the course. Still, remember how he blew up at the masters. He's not consistent enough yet to be the kind of dominating golfer Tiger has been. Doesn't mean I wouldn't love to see it, though!

Not everyone can be Jack or Seve or Tiger and win out of the gate (well almost out of the gate). Some guys like Watson, Faldo, Price, etc lose a couple in spectacular fashion before they hit their stride. Not saying Rory's going to win as many majors as Faldo or Watson, but at this point we can say he's proven wrong anyone who made a direct comparison between McIlroy and Fowler - for now anyway.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I think after this win, and the way in which he won, he now Smells blood....

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I thought Rory turned pro in 2007 (thus making the 5-year mark next year)?

Originally Posted by NI4NI

True.  I'm sure even Jack had a few detractors in 1961.  It's nearly impossible to project a player's legacy at the onset of one's career.  Resurrect this thread in 2015 to check in on his Majors win total - let's see if his trending towards Jack's 6 Majors win total at the 5-year mark.

Originally Posted by BunkerBuster

Seems he keeps the ball out of the fairway and into the rough a lot. Works for him though.

Are you any relation to Hennie Bogan?

• Upvote 1

Quote:

Seems he keeps the ball out of the fairway and into the rough a lot. Works for him though.

He hit 64% fairways this week (ranked tied for 26th) according to the US Open website which admittedly isn't great but also isn't awful, at an average of 310 yards. Only 6 players who made the cut (Garrigus, Woodland, Johnson, Quiros, Bubba and Westwood) averaged further. I think when you hit it that far and leave yourself a wedge at the green, whether you're coming out of rough or the fairway, you stand a good chance. All these stats speak for themselves. 83% FIR for the week. That is obscene iron play over 72 holes.

As a lifetime Ohioan, I guess we in the Midwest just Annexed the Mid-Atlantic subregion of the East Coast. Awesome! Crab Cakes for everybody!

Originally Posted by saevel25

For one thing, he just blew away the field at a US Open. Though it wasn't the toughest set up due to the midwest rain...

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.