IGNORED

Flaring of the feet at address

Note: This thread is 4909 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've wondered about this too. I keep my feet pretty much perpendicular to the target line, maybe my front foot is flared a few degrees, but never the 30˚ you see advocated a lot. When I try flaring the front feet generally I feel it it encourages me to lose my spine tilt and over-rotate my hips and especially my shoulders, leading to an OTT move and a pull or slice. Of course, that could just be because of other swing faults I have, but I've wondered what the reason behind the front foot flare is.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I flare my front foot maybe 20 degrees or so. The reason?? I've heard it presets your hips a little open so you don't have to turn as hard to have them open at impact. Its not something I think to much about now. It is just confortable to me. I honestly think it has very little impact on the effectiveness of my move and just something I picked up years ago from Pelz's Short game bible when I was working on my wedges and it stuck.

Brian

The front foot out allows you to turn through just a bit easier than if it is square. I just started flaring the back foot out a smidge to allow a better hip turn, which helps the overall turn. When you get a little older or you are not that flexible it can assist in getting to the correct position.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

So as a guy who's very flexible for a guy, should this basically not matter one way or the other until I'm older and getting stiff?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

I am a big believer in having evidence or reason to why you think a certain way. This goes for your beliefs in politics, religion, etc as well as golf. So when it comes to the swing I always like to wonder why I do something or to figure out why a top instructor says this is the best way to swing.

For me I notice that my stance tends to be more balanced and I stay off my toes when my feet are flared. Additionally, it does feel like it helps make a good rotation in both the back swing and the actual swing.

Take note that I write feel as I have not seen a video comparison between perpendicular feet and flared feet Mike :)

• Administrator
Flared feet help to turn your knees out and to allow your hips to turn more effectively in the backswing and to push your knee (and thus hip) forward on the downswing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

So as a guy who's very flexible for a guy, should this basically not matter one way or the other until I'm older and getting stiff?

Well, I found that by not flaring the back foot, I was inadvertently restricting my turn...if it is not a problem then don't fix it...some people can get away with the back foot square...I would still flare the front though to help you get through the ball.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

A former teacher of mine, phil ritson, used to term it "duck feet" He advocated flaring both feet. The front foot flare is to allow better follow through and the rear foot flare is to allow better shoulder turn. I still do this although minimally.

I see people doing it, some advocate it, but why?

I used to flare both feet, but now flare just the front foot. I have the back foot square - it lessens chance I will overswing on backswing.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 4909 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!