IGNORED

My Swing (RIduffer)

RIduffer

This is my first time videoing and uploading swings, so I will try to get better camera angles in the future. I started golfing 4 years ago, and currently play off a 10 handicap. I have been hooking the driver a bit lately, and my iron play is inconsistent (contact and direction issues). Any suggestions appreciated.

PW FO

7i DTL (thin)

Driver FO

Driver DTL

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Adams Idea Tech hybrid 19*
Titleist DCI 981 irons
Ping iwedge 56*, 52*Carbite Putter

You make good contact and look very comfortable with your swing.

Here's what I see
Address: Grip looks great. Ball is back in your stance in both videos, especially the 7 iron. Ball should be between the middle of your stance and the front foot for most 7 iron shots.
Backswing: I really like your shoulder turn and how well you keep your arms connected. Try turning your hips more--try to get your belt buckle facing the camera on the DTL view.
Forwardswing: Try getting your hips further forward and extend your back and arms more into impact. Try hitting some balls while primarily focusing on really pushing off the ground with both feet as much as you can and extending your spine and arms into impact.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

You make good contact and look very comfortable with your swing.

Thank you for the reply uttexas. Everything you mentioned makes sense. A couple of the better players at my club have mentioned that my hip turn looks restricted (when I asked for their advice). The ball-position and lack of extension in the follow-through I can definitely see now that you pointed it out (my arms look like they are collapsing against my body).

Out of curiosity, is the lack of extension why my finish looks so funny? It almost looks like I'm posing the finish (as an afterthought). I will work on these things and post some new video (hopefully better quality) soon. Thanks again.

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Titleist DCI 981 irons

Out of curiosity, is the lack of extension why my finish looks so funny? It almost looks like I'm posing the finish (as an afterthought).

Yes, it is. You are swing your hands and arms too vertical in the follow through. You said you hook and that's most likely the cause.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Here's a slowmo of Kenny Perry. I chose KP as an example due to similar body habitus and swing characteristics (KP also sets up with a strong grip and his head toward his rear foot--he also could improve his hip turn)---but notice how well KP gets his left hip forward and extends his legs, lower spine, and arms into impact.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Yeah, I see what you mean. BTW, another Kenny Perry thing I do is keep the right foot down pretty long through impact. Not intentional, must be a fat-guy thing .

Thanks for taking the time to find and upload that video.

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Titleist DCI 981 irons

I really like your swing.

If you are having trouble with thinning, I would go with what the above post said.

Following through longer will keep you down on the ball longer. Looks like you pop up a bit at the end and if you pop up early, you will top or thin the shot. Staying in form throughout the whole swing would be ideal but I really like what you have going for you.

Driver - Taylor Made 09 Burner.
3 Wood - Callaway Diablo.
Hybrid Irons - Adams A30S
Wedges - 52* Titleist Vokey Spin Milled. 56*, 60* Taylormade Rac.
Putter - Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1.

BREATHE!

Your finish looks like you're holding your breathe because you are so tight. Have you tried an easier, more controlled finish?

I like to think the swing really starts accelerating a few inches after the transition begins, gaining speed to the ball and peaking just slightly after and quickly dissapating (sic?), allowing you to maintain a controlled, extended finish.

• 4 years later...
I've been Playing Golf for: 5 years My current handicap index or average score is: 7.5 My typical ball flight is: fade with irons The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: thin contact [rule] [VIDEO]https://youtu.be/3k6dpp-iFeQ[/VIDEO]

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Titleist DCI 981 irons

Gotta keep the turning rates going throughout the entire backswing. Notice how the hips stop turning from about 9 seconds in but the arms keep moving and the right arm over-flexes. This makes it hard to get the arms down fast enough on the downswing and leads to thin shots. I'd like to see that right hip keep moving all the way to the top of the backswing. Also couldn't hurt to spend some time with a tee or glove in your right arm pit to help sequence the pivot with the arms.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Mvmac thank you very much for your reply. I have fought this flying right elbow overswing deal since I started golfing. It feels like I need to make this move in order to square up the club face and get enough power.

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Titleist DCI 981 irons

Welcome back @RIduffer ere you went to.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

@boogielicious thank you. Been busy with work, life, etc. Time to get my priorities straight and work on the golf game!

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Titleist DCI 981 irons

@mvmac , I see that if I keep turning the right hip, my arms move deeper rather than lifting. Makes sense now. I will work at it, and record some swings. Thanks!

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Titleist DCI 981 irons

[Video]http://youtu.be/NT9gFJW1Bag[/video] Started off trying to keep hips turning but I felt like I was really over swinging, so I said maybe I need to work on keeping the pressure points (armpits) for a bit. My right arm is still losing pressure at the top of the swing, but my arms did feel more in sync with my body and I had a lot of solid contact. I hate the look of my finish. Seems like there is no extension, and a lot of chicken wing action.

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Titleist DCI 981 irons

I have been using V1 to analyze my swings. When I overlay my swing with pros, a few things really jump out: 1) The club head gets way inside on my takeaway/backswing 2) I am lifting arms at end of backswing (as mvmac noted) 3) In the finish, my arms go hard left across my body (no extension, chicky wingy).

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Titleist DCI 981 irons

I have been using V1 to analyze my swings. When I overlay my swing with pros, a few things really jump out: 1) The club head gets way inside on my takeaway/backswing 2) I am lifting arms at end of backswing (as mvmac noted) 3) In the finish, my arms go hard left across my body (no extension, chicky wingy).

The camera angle is a little too far right, but you are not that far to the inside, the last image on the other hand needs some work.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler