IGNORED

Are shorter putters better?

q7w
Note:Β This thread is 4835 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
I'm just saying that I see many more people putting with the toe off the ground than the other way around.

Some people need to get their hands away from their body.

I picked up a 33" Ray Cook (Billy Baroo IV) from ebay and like it. REALLY like it. Confused, I took my other putters and setup comortably in front of a full length mirror. I consistently grip my 35 inch putters mid-way on the grip, so I guess I've been choking down to about 33-34" anyway. Go figure.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Some people need to get their hands away from their body.

Same here... I've always used 35" putters and realized recently that I choked way down on it... so it got cut down... It feels a little different now, but I like it.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment:Β 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5Β°) Β· PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15Β° and 21Β°)Β Β· PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22Β°, 25Β°, and 28Β°) Β· PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) Β·Β Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50Β°, 55Β°, 60Β°) Β·Β Edel Classic BladeΒ Putter (32") Β· Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour Β· Pinned Prism RangefinderΒ Β· Star Grips Β· Flightscope Mevo Β· TRUE Linkswear Shoes Β·Β Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
AnalyzrΒ Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Where did you read this? I see a lot of 33, 34, and 35" putters for sale. Mostly 34s and never 36 or higher (unless you count belly putters). How could 35 be the average?!?

Sorry, I didn't see your reply until now. The actual wording used in one article is "putters for men are mostly sold in 35” and 34” standard lengths."

http://www.ralphmaltby.com/14
Length Length equally affects both distance control and directional control of the putt and is very important regarding consistency in putting. The correct putter length depends on the type putting stroke you use. The most popular putting stroke today is when the golfer is slightly bent over at the waist and the knees slightly bent until the eyes are directly over the ball. The stance is square to the putt line and both arms are hanging down vertically and directly under the shoulders. The ball is approximately positioned out from the left heel. The stroke is a pendulum motion using the shoulders as a pivot point and causing the putter head to go slightly inside on the back stroke to square at impact to slightly inside on the follow through. Putter length is measured and fitted with the golfer in this position. Putters for men are mostly sold in 35” and 34” standard lengths (a few 33” exist). Womens’ putters are standard at 33”. Both men and women golfers will almost always fit into shorter lengths than those offered as standard. The average seems to be about 33” for men. The average length putter used on the PGA tour is 33” to 33 ½” for men. Women will usually fit into 31” to 32 ½” lengths. When fitting putters, length should always be the first fitting variable determined.

http://www.peakperformancegolfswing....ength-and-lie/
Q: What is the biggest mistake that golfers make when buying putters? Answer: β€œLength. This is the biggest issue people tend to neglect. My research shows me that the average length of a putter that golfers should use is 33 Β½ inches. Yet many people are buying 35 or even 36 inch putters.”

Plus plenty of others.......

http://www.puttingzone.com/MyTips/lengthlie.html http://www.thegolfchannel.com/equipm...fitting-25245/ I don't take any of this as gospel, but you asked where I read it at. I also found this and though it was interesting:

1. Height
2. Length - Wrist To Ground
3. Lie
4. Loft
5. Swing Weight

I have 3 Scotty , Futura Phantom Mallet ( 34" ) / Studio Stainless 2.5 ( 35" ) / California Monterey ( 34" )

I put best from the Monterey which i changed the grip to Baby T and adjusted the lie to 68deg from 71deg.

Cutting the 35" to 34" change the swing weight from D2 to C9 which make the putter feels too light , so best is to buy the right length OTS and adjust the lie and loft. That will maintain the swing weight.

Getting a SCOTTY also a "show off" to many people ! lol !
What I Play:
913D3 9.5Β°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff Β "C3" | 910F 15Β°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19Β°, Β Diamana Kai'li for TitleistΒ 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight
Β 

• 1 month later...

I'm getting this putter on Monday

I'm going for the 33"

OD2100_im_____0_gsi.jpg

The Odyssey ProType PT 82 Limited Edition Putter is a limited edition putter and only 2,500 will be available in the U.S. A multi-layer insert has been fine-tuned to enhance sound, responsiveness, resiliency and consistency while the inner core is 19.6% firmer to enhance the feel. It is also 92% stiffer for better resiliency, leading to consistent distance control. The face surface has been roughened to enhance the sound at impact with softer golf balls and increase friction to promote forward roll. The sleek blade has a single sightline that runs from the face to the back flange and subtly aids with alignment for better accuracy. A milled Tungsten insert has been placed behind the face to ensure precise weight and feel to meet the exacting demands of Phil Mickelson for premium performance.

It's $350US though, but I deserve it, lol

taylormade.gif - Taylor Made R11 Driver, 9*
taylormade.gif - Burner 2.0" 4-AW Steel
vokey.gif - Vokey 56*, 60*, 64*
odyssey.gif - Odyssey ProType PT 82

titleist.gif - Pro-V1Β  taylormade.gif - TMX Stand Bag

When discussing traditional putters (not belly, etc), I think length depends on your putting technique.

If you go less upright to the ground, then a shorter putter of 32-33 would seem to fit.

If you go more upright, than a longer putter of 34-35 inches would be the better fit.

Personally, I lean towards more of the more upright, Zach Johnson style (patobriengolf.com), and use a 35 inch putter -- and have putted well in that manner.

There is no right or wrong - it depends on technique.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

I never realized how a long putter is affecting my game

I just tested out my 35" and in my back-swing I hot the ground, not very good

I know everyone is different, but I think the point of putting is to have a nice smooth pendulum swing. I know that's obvious. But I've been golfing for years and I just really figured this out. And I'm really good at putting. But with this length change I think I'm only going to get better

Possibly this thread been asking the wrong question. A better question might be, "Is your putter the proper length to match your stance and your putting style?"

Focus, connect and follow through!

• CompletedΒ KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking Academy:Β Fitting, Assembly & RepairΒ School (2012)

Driver:Β  :touredge:Β EXSΒ 10.5Β°, weights neutralΒ  Β ||Β Β FWs:Β Β :callaway:Β RogueΒ 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball: Β image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.pngΒ QStar Tour - DivideΒ  ||Β Β Bag: :sunmountain:Β Three 5 stand bag

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Possibly this thread been asking the wrong question. A better question might be, "Is your putter the proper length to match your stance and your putting style?"

yea, that's a better title

I tried to edit the title but I can't

I think people get the point, with all the great input from everyone

I bend most of the way over and have my right index finger on the steel on my 35" putter with my arms very bent.Β  Bending over all the way feels better on my back than a normal posture because i am not partially holding it up at all.

It must somewhat depend on putting style, if you go for Stan Utley's method then you're looking at 35-36" monsters, my SC is 35" suits me and my style just fine, have tried everything down to 32 and never liked anything better than 35.

In my bag:Driver: 910D2, 10.25˚, Aldila RIP, Fairway: 904F, 15˚, YS-6FW+ Stiff, Hybrid: Titleist 910H, Irons: S-58, 4-PW, DG S300, Wedges: Wishon 52˚, 56˚, Putter: Odyssey Black series i 1

kind of off topic but I didn't want to start another thread

I better be getting my putter I ordered

the website says it was shipped, and my credit card was charged even before it was shipped. Even though they say it won't be charged until it ships.

Now My credit card is showing the roughly the amount I put on there to cover the putter

I'm phoning them on Monday (golfsmith.com)

I will be so disappointed if I don't get it. I check their site and there are no more LH 33"

someone say a prayer for me to the golf purchasing gods?, lol

there are only 2500 of these baby's madeΒ  :(

" Are shorter putters better?"

could be debated all day long, but..... Β  shorter putts are better, no debating that!!!

Driver :Β ping.gifG15 10.5* Serrano Stiff
3W:Β callaway.gifΒ RAZR 15*
Hybrids : adams.gifΒ A7 19*
4- PW : mizuno.gifΒ MP - 63
Wedges : vokey.gif50*, 54*, 60*Putter:Β cameron.gifΒ Scotty Newport 2.5Bag: sunmountain.gifΒ 2011 SunMountain C-130

Sometimes the "better" feel you seem to experience just comes from a dramatic change. I circulate between 4 putters throughout a typical season and the change usually breeds some immediate improvement. I always attributed the gain to my tendency to focus a little more while holding a less familiar stick.

I'm 5'10" with a somewhat positive ape factor (length of arms relative to height, and I play a 34" putter, though I could easily go to 33" I think. My theory of putting is to swing from the shoulders and try to keep the rest of the arm pretty still, so I want my elbows less bent so I want to be reaching a bit for my putter, as opposed to holding it in closer. This gives me a more relaxed feel and that works for me. So I think people should aim for as short a putter as they can use and feel relaxed.

But that's based on what works for me. Your mileage may vary.

Note:Β This thread is 4835 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!