IGNORED

Wedge help please

Note: This thread is 3718 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've got 2 Cleveland cg12 wedges. Fathers day gift 2 yrs ago. Well I never actually liked them. They feel light and clicky at impact. Kinda hard to explain. Anyways a buddy of mine was chipping today and I notice he has older Cleveland wedges (real old actually) I ask to try them out and immediately notice how much heavier and solid they felt. They cut thru the turf clean and ball contact like butter. I dont know if its the head or shaft or both but I'm pulling the trigger right away on new wedges. BUT, they dont make them anymore. So what new wedges have the same heavy solid feel at impact. I dont think they'll let me hit a bunch at my local golf shop. If they do then no problem. If I spend 2 or 3 bills on new wedges I wanna love 'em. Anyways what are the denser heavier feeling wedges? The Vokeys look nice but will they feel as solid as forged? All input appreciated, thanks

If you didn't know already Cleveland wedges are not forged either. Don't pay too much attention to forged and cast, most people wouldn't be able to tell anyways. Heavier feelings in my opinion would be Mizuno's and Nike's. Cleveland's CG12's I think are one of the nicest looking and feeling wedges out there FWIW.

Vokeys are notorious for being heavy.

Guess it's a person to person thing because I find the Vokeys lighter than the Mizunos.

I've been playing the Callaway X Forged wedges and really like them... I find them to be pretty heavy (in a good way).

Agreed. Think the heavier shafts in the Cally X-forged and Nike wedges play a factor in the heavier feel.

Vokey's are heavy...ish compared to the field

i think when deciding on a wedge, deciding on a bounce that fits you is just as important too
i am a digger, so a higher bounce wedge suits me better - 14* on my 56 and 10* on my 60
with such a high bounce on a LW, i still have no problem opening the face a little if a need to...but 60 is usually plenty enough

as well what shape of head you like
if you like a certain wedge but it doesnt feel heavy enough for you, lead tape will do the trick

i have a cleveland wedge, 2 nike wedges and a vokey, the vokey is the heavyest out of them but i really like my nike sv wedge but its all a personal thing! You need to go someplace where they will let you test them so you dont waste any cash!

Man I guess Vokeys being heavy is not up for debate, guess I'm the only one that thinks they are on the lighter end. Maybe I am so accustomed to their weight after playing two seasons with them. I tested the 52, 56, and 60 Mizuno MP-T wedges but after the trial runs they felt head heavy and the feel was a bit dead to me. I'm very confused about my conception of Vokey's now.

I think your buddy is playing the classic 588s. You can find them some in real good shape if you look. There are guys on tour that still have these in their bags. They were a tour staple for a long time.

I've been playing the Callaway X Forged wedges and really like them... I find them to be pretty heavy (in a good way).

I second. These wedges are amazing. Spin is incredible with my 60*.. I've had it for a year and can still spin back a 30 yard shot 3 feet or so. Anyways, they are heavy compared to my Vokey and Z TP, so maybe they will fit you perfectly. Definately try them out. Mack Daddy grooves are stoooopid.

Nope they are cast from soft carbon steel.

Yes. Since the CG10 model, Cleveland has used CMM process for the steel in its wedge heads, and subsequent iron sets. CMM process suspends "microscopic carbon spheres" in the steel, with the goal - according to promo material - of producing both softer feel and more solid clubhead. For details:

http://www.clevelandgolf.com/US_cmm.html BTW, I played an X Forged 56.14 sand wedge until I picked up the 54 + 58 this fall. Am trying to see if the CG14s will work as a "team" in short game. May still use the XForged if I'm facing really fluffy sand.
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think your buddy is playing the classic 588s. You can find them some in real good shape if you look. There are guys on tour that still have these in their bags. They were a tour staple for a long time.

I bought a really nice Cleveland RTG 588 56 on 3balls.com..It was in really good shape

Note: This thread is 3718 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!