IGNORED

Sean Foley's new DVD

Note: This thread is 4250 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

What a friggin' joke:

Quote:
Dear valued customer,
We are writing to provide you with an update on the
shipping status of your NEXT GENERATION order.
As we mentioned in our previous communication, we had
encountered an unexpected delay from our manufacturer.
On Friday, our manufacturer informed us that our shipment
would be received in Toronto today and that we would be
in a position to fulfill our orders immediately.
Today, our manufacturer, an American company with plants
around the globe informed us that our product was
manufactured on schedule at their German Blu-Ray facility
on Thursday evening and that due to the severe weather
delaying travel in Europe our product has not arrived
at our fulfillment facility in Toronto, Canada.
We deeply regret this development and are doing what we
can to get your order to you as quickly as possible.
We understand that many of our customers bought
THE NEXT GENERATION as a Christmas gift. The fact that
we are on a timeline that could delay a Christmas arrival
is disappointing to say the least.
Again, we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.
Best regards,
Project 10 Productions Inc.

At this point they should be refunding the entire shipping cost. What a low-rent operation.

Love the manual line wrapping (derrr), the bizarre blame shifting (who cares if it's an American company? And technically, Peru is in the Americas, as is Canada...).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The company is reversing Foley's 5% rule.  It's now 95% somebody else or something else and 5% Next Generation.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

As I was reading this thread last night, I heard his name said on the TV. I had the Golf channel on and they just happened to have an episode with Sean Foley with tips for Low, medium and high handicappers. So I sat and watched as they discussed the DVD coming out (thinking it's been delayed..blah blah) and all his tips. He had good tips for all handicaps but it wasn't anything I haven't already read or heard! Especially after reading Mike and Andy's " stack and tilt " book.

It was refreshing to see these concepts going main stream and not be talked down upon.

Originally Posted by J_Bone

As I was reading this thread last night, I heard his name said on the TV. I had the Golf channel on and they just happened to have an episode with Sean Foley with tips for Low, medium and high handicappers. So I sat and watched as they discussed the DVD coming out (thinking it's been delayed..blah blah) and all his tips. He had good tips for all handicaps but it wasn't anything I haven't already read or heard! Especially after reading Mike and Andy's "stack and tilt" book.

It was refreshing to see these concepts going main stream and not be talked down upon.

It's the Tiger effect. Without him under Foley's tutelage, he'd likely still be considered a tool by the SandTrap regulars.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Bone

As I was reading this thread last night, I heard his name said on the TV. I had the Golf channel on and they just happened to have an episode with Sean Foley with tips for Low, medium and high handicappers. So I sat and watched as they discussed the DVD coming out (thinking it's been delayed..blah blah) and all his tips. He had good tips for all handicaps but it wasn't anything I haven't already read or heard! Especially after reading Mike and Andy's "stack and tilt" book.

It's the Tiger effect. Without him under Foley's tutelage, he'd likely still be considered a tool by the SandTrap regulars.

I dont know. Before Tiger, Foley was still highly regarded because of hunter mahan, rose etc. I knew that he was pretty popular on tour before Tiger woods, Now hes even more popular. I started hearing alot about foley when Rose won and then when Mahan won.

I just think it's funny to hear people say how great Foley is and then say in the same breath that S&T; sucks...

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I bought it and finally received it after the "pre-order"...

I've been toying with going to a more SaT swing and I've really liked the way Sean explains things, so I dove in and bought the DVD.

Here are the lessons on the DVD:

1. Ball flight
  2. The reaction position (Foley for posture); two drills for reinforcement
  3. The take away; two drills for reinforcement
  4. The top of the swing; one drill for reinforcement
  5. The downswing; two drills for reinforcement
  6. Impact; two drills for reinforcement
  7. Exit strategy (Foley for follow-through)
  8. 15 various other drills ranging from putting to ball striking

Overall I thought the DVD was good. I could have used a lesson on grip, wrist position, and where the club should be at the top. His theory on ball flight was different from what I was taught and I'm not sure I buy his theory after playing racquet sports... Being he's so into biomechanics, I'm also surprised that he didn't have some exercises in here.

All and all it's a decent video, nothing earth shattering. After watching it I bought The Stack and Tilt Swing: The Definitive Guide to the Swing That Is Remaking Golf on Amazon to get more details on the swing. I hope there's info in there about how the grip should be different for this particular swing, and more information on the left wrist.

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

I just think it's funny to hear people say how great Foley is and then say in the same breath that S&T; sucks...

Maybe I missed someone saying that on the thread. This is for the DVD... You can talk about how crappy the "pre-order" was or you opinion about the DVD. If you want to spit hyperbole and go rabble rousing on something that has been hashed on this board 9000 times, go start your own thread.

Originally Posted by The Gill

Overall I thought the DVD was good. I could have used a lesson on grip, wrist position, and where the club should be at the top. His theory on ball flight was different from what I was taught and I'm not sure I buy his theory after playing racquet sports... Being he's so into biomechanics, I'm also surprised that he didn't have some exercises in here.

All and all it's a decent video, nothing earth shattering. After watching it I bought The Stack and Tilt Swing: The Definitive Guide to the Swing That Is Remaking Golf on Amazon to get more details on the swing. I hope there's info in there about how the grip should be different for this particular swing, and more information on the left wrist.

Mike and Andy don't consider the grip to be a fundamental, so you really aren't going to get much. They talk shortly about what a decent grip should look like, but they don't put much stress on it.

• Administrator

His theory on ball flight was different from what I was taught and I'm not sure I buy his theory after playing racquet sports...

http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws

Also, what you think you know from racket sports is probably wrong. I know I looked into it for racketball a few years ago and the numbers were slightly more path oriented but it's still mostly the "face" that affects the ball's initial starting direction.

Also, this isn't a "theory" at all. It's fact.

Originally Posted by The Gill

All and all it's a decent video, nothing earth shattering. After watching it I bought The Stack and Tilt Swing: The Definitive Guide to the Swing That Is Remaking Golf on Amazon to get more details on the swing. I hope there's info in there about how the grip should be different for this particular swing, and more information on the left wrist.

As Brian said, it's unlikely. We change someone's grip or their left wrist at the top if and only if it's causing a problem. WIth 90% of the people we teach, and that Mike and Andy teach (roughly), no change or only a little change is needed.

You can grip it all sorts of ways - as proven by the pros - and still hit the ball first, with power, and control the curve.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Interesting article. I'm surprised that path is only 15% determined by face angle in a full swing. It seems with how much a golf ball deforms it would be much higher and I assumed it to be in contact with the face much longer than the .000045 seconds you cited... Interesting stuff. It would be interesting to see the test conditions and data. I wonder what balls and clubs were used and how much of of an impact that makes...

It seems when putting a lot of umph on a tennis or ping-ping forehand the racquet/bat almost feels pointed at the ground... federer.jpg

It's bizarre to think all these years of hitting draws my subconcience was opening the face for me and even weirder to think I've been closing it down on fades...

While I agree anyone can hit it with nearly any grip, it's highly related to what the left wrist and forearms do. You can have an overly weak grip with a super bowed left wrist or a overly strong grip with break down of the wrist. I also agree that it's highly personalized, I'd just like the theory on the "optimum" As I stated before, I like the way Foley explains things and he seems knowledgeable in biomechanics. As such, I would have really liked to have heard Foley's take on it..

I don't have that golf physics book. If face angle is has 85% of the context of direction, what reason does it give for draws flying lower? A delofted open face? And a high fade is a open but lofted face? What is the science behind that?

• Administrator

Interesting article. I'm surprised that path is only 15% determined by face angle in a full swing. It seems with how much a golf ball deforms it would be much higher and I assumed it to be in contact with the face much longer than the .000045 seconds you cited... Interesting stuff. It would be interesting to see the test conditions and data. I wonder what balls and clubs were used and how much of of an impact that makes...

Please, simply look it up. What things "seem" like to you has been proven wrong. The test conditions and data are all readily obvious, and go back as far as The Physics of Golf in Jorgensen's book (look up the D-Plane stuff). These aren't made up, and there's almost no point in "discussing" what's fact because, unlike opinion, there aren't two sides to it.

85% is about as low as it goes, too. The lower the speed, the more stuff gets in the way of the ball and the clubface (like rough), etc. the more likely the ball is to take off more perpendicular to the face.

As for racket sports, I didn't say it was 85%, just that it was more face than path. I know from hitting a forehand topspin shot that the racket needs to be pointing at least close to horizontal to the ground (i.e. face is perpendicular to the ground). If I swing up 30 degrees, the ball still comes off pretty flat - maybe 5-10 degrees. Also, fwiw, I looked at racketball, and obviously racket tension, ball compression, ball and string material, racket speed, etc. can have effects.

It's bizarre to think all these years of hitting draws my subconcience was opening the face for me and even weirder to think I've been closing it down on fades...

Nobody said that you were hitting them "properly" and from a neutral alignment. You might have been hitting pull-draws and/or push-fades. If I had to hit a ball that curved to my left for a million dollars, I'm closing the crap out of the face. But that's not exactly a shot that comes in handy from the fairway on a par four.

While I agree anyone can hit it with nearly any grip, it's highly related to what the left wrist and forearms do. You can have an overly weak grip with a super bowed left wrist or a overly strong grip with break down of the wrist. I also agree that it's highly personalized, I'd just like the theory on the "optimum" As I stated before, I like the way Foley explains things and he seems knowledgeable in biomechanics. As such, I would have really liked to have heard Foley's take on it..

I get what you're saying, but they're not as closely linked as you seem to think, and if your handicap index is accurate, it's likely not high on your list of priorities. Maybe it is - I could be completely wrong about it, and your grip could be messing all sorts of things up for you - but it's highly unlikely.

I'm glad you liked Foley's video. It's a lot of (and I mean a lot ) of the same stuff I teach... but I'm trying to be helpful in suggesting that the grip is probably not high on the list and you've got a lot of work to do before it is likely the next highest priority item.

I don't have that golf physics book. If face angle is has 85% of the context of direction, what reason does it give for draws flying lower? A delofted open face? And a high fade is a open but lofted face? What is the science behind that?

Pull-draws fly lower. So do pull-fades. Push-draws fly higher. Too many variables here, so I'll say this:

- With the same amount of forward shaft lean, an open clubface relative to your stance (we're assuming a neutral stance here) has more loft. Thus, in Foley's system and in Stack and Tilt, the stock shot is a push-draw, which goes higher than a pull-draw or a pull-fade or a straight pull.

If you want to line up well to the right of the target and hit a pull-draw, it'll go lower. If you hit fades by keeping the handle back and adding loft to the club, even a properly hit push-draw might go a bit lower, but 99% of the time it's going a good bit farther, too, and with a lot more compression.

It seems when putting a lot of umph on a tennis or ping-ping forehand the racquet/bat almost feels pointed at the ground...

If you are unsure about the ball flight laws, this video is really all the convincing you could ever need. It convinced me. There is really no denying it.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Jamo- I'm genuinely thankful you're trying to help me understand this. I actually just got done watching this after reading a post on GolfWRX. My misunderstanding with what Sean had to convey was with me confusing the path line and the target line. This video cleared a lot up.

Note: This thread is 4250 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!