IGNORED

Courses That Require Carts

Comeback
Note: This thread is 4290 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In my experience, a group of relatively fit, decent golfers can walk as fast or faster than the same group riding.

The only time it's faster in a cart is when I'm playing by myself on days when my back is hurting (2 back surgeries in the past), and the course is empty.

I can walk my regular home course in right around 2:10-2:20 IF I don't get held up by others. I mostly walk but will take a cart if I can get around without being held up and I'm short on time. If I use a cart I can play 18 holes in 1:50 IF I don't have to wait for people.

I do play another course, Sedona Golf Resort, that is the toughest course to walk I've ever seen. Sometimes nearly 1/2 mile from green to tee (13 to 14). AND the course is 9 holes out to the top of the mountain and then 9 holes back down again. No returning to the club house until all 18 holes are played (no 9 hole rounds). They have a cart lady with snacks and drinks. You will see her maybe twice in 18 holes. I use a cart on that course.

Seven Canyons, Sedona is the same......way too long between green/tee to walk, carts only. Just to get from the parking lot to the proshop and driving range is nearly 3/4 mile. They keep the carts at the parking lot. Someone sees you drive up and washes and loads your clubs onto the cart for you.....you drive your cart to the proshop/range.......someone unloads/washes (again) your clubs from the cart out to the range.......while on the range they clean each club when they see you put it back in the bag......then wash (a third time) and load your clubs back on the cart when they see you are done at the range.....then you finally get to drive 3/4 mile back to the first tee!!! No walking for me on this course!! They pamper the hell out of you. I've never washed my clubs that many times in one day : ) Little boxes on every hole just after the tees.......damp hand towels to wipe your face : ) OH....then they meet you in the parking lot....wash (for a fourth time) and load your clubs back into your car.

Driver Callaway Diablo Edge --- Custom Sonartec 3, 5 and 7 woods made +1" stiff shafts --- Irons 5-L Ping G10 +1" 4.5* upright reg shafts --- ---Putter Tiger Shark

Here's my exerience in a nutshell;

If they are that stupid then you are wrong, they would probably be even slower if they were forced to walk. By the same token, if that was me and any of my friends in front of you, we could play the same number of shots and you'd never catch us if we didn't have to wait on the slow walkers in front of us. As usual you only seem to be able to describe a worst case scenario.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think most of the people who are encouraging requiring walking make exceptions for those that

That's an awesome policy. I myself am a big fan of walking, but I realize not everybody can.

"I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game. It is called an eraser." -Arnold Palmer
MY 'WEAPONS OF GRASS DESTRUCTION'
DRIVER: 2009 Launcher (10.5*)
WOOD: X FWY #3 (15*)
HYBRIDS: IDEA iWood #3 (17*) and #4 (21*)IRONS: 4DX CB 5-SWPUTTERS: PAL and White Hot XG #1BALLS: ...

If they are that stupid then you are wrong, they would probably be even slower if they were forced to walk. By the same token, if that was me and any of my friends in front of you, we could play the same number of shots and you'd never catch us if we didn't have to wait on the slow walkers in front of us. As usual you only seem to be able to describe a worst case scenario.

I'm sure you're super fast. Probably nowhere near as fast as you think you are, but I get what you're saying. As far as worst case scenarios, go, I wish I hadn't described an actual round I was forced to witness (from the other cart).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• 1 year later...

i always walk and still will when im playing with someone. but this week i get my drivers permit so ill be riding when i play by myself for the lone reason that i can play faster. on weekdays i would love to walk but i cant after school because my dad is my only ride and he has to go to work at night.

In bag(15 years old on budget):

Driver- Taylor Made Burner 09

3 Wood- Dunlop Loco

3 Hybrid- Walter Hagen AWX

4,5 Hybrid- Nicklaus Polarity

6-SW- Nicklaus Polarity Irons

Putter- Top Flite

Balls- Callaway War Bird

I can see the point being made. For me, I ride mostly because I'm lazy about it. I typically play alone, or with my 4 year old tagging along (not playing), and riding is absolutely faster. When it comes to having two people in a cart, you're absolutely right. More often than not, you've got two people who need to go in two different directions. When I find myself in that situation, I typically pull the club I need (or two if in question, or AW/putter, etc) and walk towards my ball while my partner goes to theirs and hits. I'll either get picked up when they're done, or we'll hook back up as we move along. I'm very cognizant of those behind me, so I do the little things to make sure I'm playing appropriately. That said, I definitely intend to walk more. I certainly walk the local par 3, I'm not that lazy. :-D The same place has a 9 hole that I like, and I'm considering joining, that I should be walking instead of riding.

Driver: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 10.5* Woods: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 3w 15*, 5w 18* Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 Rescue -- 4h 21* Irons: TaylorMade Burner Plus -- 5-AW Wedges: TaylorMade RAC -- 56.12, 60.07 Putter: TaylorMade Spider Ghost -- 35" Ball: It's complicated.

My old home course used to have no golf cars. The course looked so much better but it was a municipal course and despite being an easy walk some people could not do it due to being handicapped so they pretty much had to bring them in.

913 D2 8.5* with V2 66g stiff shaft

910F 14.25 with Diamana stiff shaft

i20 17, 20, and 23 hybrid 

AP2 712 5-PW with Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

54 and 60

D66

Tournament Edition 1600

I usually ride a cart unless I'm playing an executive course when I might, occasionally, walk.  But I've got chemotherapy-induced foot neuropathy (parasthesia) so walking a regular course is risky or downright impossible.  I tried walking Torrey Pines once but it was a mistake, even tho' my Sun Mountain has a drop-down stool feature (very cool).  I'm sure that, without the foot problem, I'd be walking much more.  Cart riders often don't realize that walking can be just as fast as riding, since you head straight for your ball all the time.  I find that I'm much more ready to play my next shot when I've walked to it, rather than riding.

But even if they don't have a handicap like me, I wouldn't force people to walk.  Some would just be waaaay too slow on foot, yet we still want these people on the course (unless they're way too slow even in carts).  Carts have an important place but they need to be used properly.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

the problem is that two riders sharing one cart can only go to one ball at a time, unless both players somehow manage to hit every tee shot next to each other.  walkers will go straight to their ball.   IMHO its almost always faster.  carts are faster when its two good golfers who know what theyre doing, but for normal muni hackers (like me) its slower because youre chasing balls left and right all over creation.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am a bit overweight so my goal is to walk the course as much as I can this year.....my only exception usually is how hot it is out...I am very fair skinned and on a real hot and sunny day, I probably would be burnt to a crisp halfway thru the front 9....although, I do have SPF70 sunscreen.....I just find the cart (with a roof) allows me some protection and a nice breeze as I cruise along.

Even when I do take a cart with somebody, for the most part we will always try and drop the person off to their ball and drive to theres...and then just meet up...

Our place doesn't require carts, but I take them most of the time. When carts are restricted to the  paths after wet weather, however, that's when I bag a short set and walk. Sometimes, i just play with people who want to walk, and that's ok, too.  If I play with a full set, I use a pull cart.  I can't stand those carry bags with the retractable legs that keep trying to stab me.  Some folks love them, but not I.

Taylormade RocketBallz.....13° tour spoon;  Ping G15.....17° fairway wood;  Callaway RAZR X Blk.....24° fairway wood;

Epon AF-901....19° driving iron;  Wishon 870Ti....5-8 irons (1° weak), 9-iron (2° weak); Nakashima SuperSpin.....52, 58, 64° wedges;

Lovett Tour Standard.....sand iron; Louisville HB.....putter.

I really enjoy the carts.  For me, its all part of the experience of playing a round.

I find the cart to be relaxing and if I am having a few bad shots it helps get my mind off of it completely.  I guess I am just a little kid at heart.

Driver:    SLDR TP 9.5* (Tour AD DI 6S)

Wood:   Jetspeed 3W (Aldilia RIP Alpha) & SLDR 5W (Diamana Kai'li)

Hybrids: Rescue 11 3H (18*) & Rescue 11 4H (21*)

Irons:     Rocketbladez Tour 4-PW

Wedge:   ATV 52* & 58*

Putter:   Bettinardi Signature 6

I thought the title of this thread meant something else entirely. Last year I played Hanover CC (Dartmouth) with a buddy and we walked it for the first time ever. It's like playing golf in the Himalayas! Of course, it was about 99 degrees and 99% humidity too, but geez, We swore we'd never play that course again without a cart. On the other hand, a couple weeks ago I was talking to a little slip of a woman and she said she walks Hanover CC all the time...

• 2 months later...

I only use a cart when:

-I play with my dad, who had a recent knee replacement, and is also dealing with cancer (he is winning). My brother, sister, and I bought him a Cart for fathers day because of this.

-If its on a day of one of my morning runs, and im playing more than one round, I will take out the cart for the second round.

-If the course requires it.

When I am walking, I take my push cart. No way im carrying 50 pounds on my back, because I do understand the permanent damage it can cause to the spine over time. I work with people on preventing back injuries in sports, and trust me, I know many think carrying a bag is good exercise. Yes, it will strengthen your back muscles, but it can be very hard on disks, and allow them to bulge or rupture more easily due to certain movements we make when walking which should NEVER be done with a load on your back. Of course, if your carrying 4-5 clubs and a sleeve of balls in a sunday bag, you have very little to worry about. Im talking about those who carry a full bag of clubs, with all of their gear. I always play with 14 clubs. I'll explain more later on how and why a heavy bag can affect your bag if anyone shows interest in knowing. (watch full time caddies, and you will see the good ones do things the same way, to spread the load evenly, but even they end up with back problems over time. I am a HUGE proponent of proper back care.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I mean, I know a course has to make money. But why can't someone pay the green fee in which the price of the cart was included choose to walk after paying the higher amount? It just makes no sense.

I wonder why our country is so obese.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Note: This thread is 4290 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!