IGNORED

What Was Your Score on Your First Round? (Or Best Guess)

halcon
Note: This thread is 759 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

31 members have voted

1. 1. What was your score on your first round?

• 130 or more
    • 120~129
    • 110~119
    • 100~109
    • 90~99
    • 80~89
    • 79 or less

It was many years ago, and I wasn't sure how to keep score, so I don't have a number, but I'm pretty sure I ran out of golf balls before I finished 18.

:tmade: 09 Burner
:cobra: Speed LD F 3 wood
:cobra: Baffler 20 degree hybrid
:cobra: Baffler TWS 23 hy
:ping: G15 5-UW
:snake_eyes: 56 deg SW 
:snake_eyes: 60 - 12 wedge  
:scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2

I have been playing a year so my first round was not to long ago. I shot like a 127 I think. I held on to my cards and compared them for the first few months I played. I am shooting in the mid 90's now; however, I remember staying just over 100 for the Longest time. 103 to 106. I am glad those days are over. I hope to stay below 90 this year. I am a real addict. I know I hit over 1000 balls today while at work. I am a paramedic and moved out to the north end of the county when I started playing golf because it is Much slower with fewer calls. I hit balls for 5 straight hours today. I would not quit until I hit every ball at least within ten yard of where I was aiming. I really cant see how anyone can break 100 their first time out. Playing by the rules.

What's in my bag
SQ driver 9.5 degree
VR Irons 4-AW
White Ice #1
3 hybrid pro v1

• 6 years later...

My first paid round was a 40 something on a 9 hole,  par 3 course. 

My first 18 hole round was under a 100. Although  I don't remember the actual number, I do remember being quite pleased that I did break 100 my first time out. I also remember I had some 100 plus rounds after that. :whistle:

Fast foreward 45+/- years, and I shot a 101 earlier this year in very high winds. Winds strong enough to move balls on the green. :~(

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Some good stories in this thread.

It was like 5 or 6 years ago and I still have the card.  I threw down a 114.

Man that was a terrible round.  I did hit the practice range a lot and was able to break 100 that first year.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

I shot 120 on an easy course. I didn't have a driver so I used someone else's, didn't know how to hit it (still kind of don't :8)). I remember straight up shanking a greenside chip, too, and I'm sure there were lots of fat shots and tops.

I also was the only one in the group to hit the green on an uphill par 3 with a waste area/hazard all in front. In fact, I hit it inside 4'. Then I 3-putt for bogey.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I was 6 or 7 years old the first time I played a full 18 holes with my dad, not sure if we played by the proper rules but I remember that I shot 121 (Probably with a few mulligans).  I think I still have that 20+ year old scorecard somewhere in my parents basement, I was pretty proud of myself from what I can remember.

What is ESC for a first-time golfer? That's what I shot.

The approach that made sense for me was: just get familiar with how things work on a course first. Learn etiquette, hit balls from various positions, use mulligans and don't sweat the rules too much. Once I got familiar with the sport to some degree and had some passable knowledge of the rules, I started to keep score. My guess is that it was in the 100-110 range. 

Looking back, even those scores were a joke anyway. I didn't really know the rules. I've learned a lot since joining here. The scores were vanity scores with the way I would drop for lost balls, roll the ball once in a while for what I thought was an "unfair" lie in the fairway, etc.  I was just playing for fun and the learning experience, so I wasn't gonna "play it down" or anything.

I would think that almost by definition, anyone's first round score is invalid since they likely don't know enough about golf for the score to be done in accordance with ROG. Or maybe I'm just being picky here and this is just about how the score was generally.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I thought it was 108, as a lefty, but I put the max because I started as a righty and I'm sure I wasn't that good. 

I doubt anyone shot 88 the first time picking up a club.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

4 years ago. I ran out of fingers after the 1st hole!!

Its was "at least" 120 and im being conservative. Im still not great these days but usually in the 90's

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

• 3 years later...

This was the fourth time I played round of golf and very first time I kept a score. I got 115, double par limit,  good bad or ugly? 
This was also first time I played with this neighbor and his friend, thanks to them who don’t mind a newbie like myself. The course, canyon lake CA, is pretty short course 6000 yds but with some narrow fairway and quite a bit of elevation.

My observation

The first few rounds was when my friend, who got me into golf game, showed me around of what I would see in golf course and also showed me different stroke/shot and different clubs.

First off, good stuffs, I got a few chances of birdie, two of them were short par 3 (150-160 yds) 5-iron hit on the green, a few straight driver 200+yds landed on fairway. Only got 1 par out of 18 holes, mostly double bogies and a few double par. Lost only 2 balls, got into bunker only 3 times (2 were successfully rescued in first strokes) and only 2 second hit from the tee. 

The bad, ugly and need a lot of improvement. Got 4-5 drop penalties 2 lost ball, the rest were in the rough and behind brushes. Never got 1 putt into the holes mostly 2 putts and a few 3 putts. And quite a bit (4-5) of hit the ground shots.

My observation. I need a lot of consistency, I got a few good shots while my neighbor’s friend (score 85) got only a few bad shots. Better judgment, instead of easily chipping (less than 30yds with clearly view to the flag, I pitched and end up either short or way over. Aiming, I only got the ball landed where I want it a few times, a few 15-25 feet off and a lot of not even close 😢😢😢. And clubs selection, I got a few shorts shot to the green (80-100yds). I hope this will improve the more I play. I enjoyed the game and company, I say it way better than when I had no idea what to do and what clubs to use.😁😁😁.

A few shots I got on video  (short and missed aim, too bad I didn’t get any of lucky shots)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure I know my first score, since my first few times on a regulation course, I was playing twilight after work when all I owned was a 5W, some irons and wedges, and a putter.  I don't think I finished 18 any day that summer.  At some point I had the courage to go play on a weekend and probably shot around where you are.

A few things I think are good going forward:

* You pick up after a while.  I assume that's what your "double par limit" is.  When you're learning, there's no sense frustrating yourself;  get out, have fun. 

* You got out of a bunker in one shot two out of three times.  Assuming that's indicative, your sand game is in better shape than some friends of mine who have been playing longer than you.

Congrats on that par.    I hope you keep playing, keep improving, and keep enjoying the game and that we keep hearing from you around here.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Debbie Evans.  😁

• Funny 2
  • Informative 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

5 hours ago, David in FL said:

Debbie Evans.  😁

Hopefully your wife doesn't read that.

I honestly have no clue what my first scoring round was, given I was around 12 and that was over 30 years ago.

Watching your swing video, for someone who has only played their fourth round, you either have a natural athletic aptitude or have been practicing a lot before going out on the course.

I understand the double par limit, especially if you are playing with others, but over time you will need to play and count every shot.  I find it really focuses my game to do so.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I've mentioned my story as a "Range Rat" for a year before- Dad would go and play and he would leave me at the range to learn the game. It worked- the first round was a 98 (13yo). And beat him by 6. I think later on he was annoyed AND proud at the same time. I never shot over 100, and he never did beat me. 4 years later I could shoot par maybe once a month with those original Northwestern Chi Chi Rodriguez Blades (half set- 1,3,5W's, 3,5,7,9, putter) I started with. 

That's how you learn to center it and play all those in between shots. Learn on a half set of butter knives.

Note: This thread is 759 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!