IGNORED

What Was Your Score on Your First Round? (Or Best Guess)

halcon
Note: This thread is 758 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

31 members have voted

1. 1. What was your score on your first round?

• 130 or more
    • 120~129
    • 110~119
    • 100~109
    • 90~99
    • 80~89
    • 79 or less

1st 18 holes round. I played on my own (and had a gap to the group behind so I had time to complete every hole) and kept the score pretty much by the rules. 158 on a par 72 (CR 70.9 slope 130). Hard work but the baseline now set! Had a great day however (8th hole in attached photo).

3D53C494-2C2D-45E8-B3A8-9261E9C2B336.jpeg

Edited by Mophdmlw
Correct typos, add photo

• iacas changed the title to What Was Your Score on Your First Round? (Or Best Guess)

We've had a couple of these types of threads over the years. First time I played I was terrible and shot over 100. I immediately went to my father who was scratch at the time, and he helped me. I spent a few weeks on the range until I could make consistent contact, and I never shot over 100 again. I was breaking 90 later that year.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My first round ever? 130.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

First 9 after 2 days of a beginners course I shot 57 on a par 30. I played my first 18 holes on a full length course around six months later and shot 95.

Ive actually never shot over 100.😄

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I don't have to "remember" much.  It was today.  9-hole, par 3 course for noobs.  Shot one under "double par" (53) -- BEST ROUND OF MY LIFE! 😆

But I had lots of fun... and that's the point.  The scores will improve... So, I'm not worried about that.

FirstRoundEver9.9.2021.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

:tmade: Stealth HD Driver :tmade: M4 3w :tmade: Stealth+ Rescue Hybrid 2

:tmade: P790 2i UDI :tmade: P790 3i-PW :tmade: MG3 52° AW ...56° CUTTER Wedge

...and a lefty L.A.B. B2 putter. :-)

I don't remember what my first score was.   But I do know now that whenever I complain to my wife about not playing well, she remarks "I remember when you couldn't break a hundred!"

So, now when I shoot worse than I think I should have and she asks how it went, I simply say "great!"  🙂

• Like 1

I think that was back in 1978.  I have no recollection whatsoever, can't even venture a guess.

27 minutes ago, HankBlue said:

Well, I don't have to "remember" much.  It was today.  9-hole, par 3 course for noobs.  Shot one under "double par" (53) -- BEST ROUND OF MY LIFE! 😆

But I had lots of fun... and that's the point.  The scores will improve... So, I'm not worried about that.

FirstRoundEver9.9.2021.jpg

It looks like you got better as the round went on, that is a big plus.  What course was that?

• Like 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Bushwood  😉 Golf Course in Northville, Michigan.

My tale of woe:  Hit 7 really good... landed near the green, upside fringe, chipped... in and out (up/down)... rolled to the other side fringe.  Would've been a birdie but, instead, I was further away than my first chip shot. 😆

15 minutes ago, HankBlue said:

Bushwood  😉 Golf Course in Northville, Michigan.

My tale of woe:  Hit 7 really good... landed near the green, upside fringe, chipped... in and out (up/down)... rolled to the other side fringe.  Would've been a birdie but, instead, I was further away than my first chip shot. 😆

One thing you need to remember, Golf will always humble you. But then you will get that great shot that makes you eager to come back.

you are not far from me, maybe get together some time for a round.

• Like 1

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

26 minutes ago, StuM said:

One thing you need to remember, Golf will always humble you. But then you will get that great shot that makes you eager to come back.

you are not far from me, maybe get together some time for a round.

I've seen plenty in life to humble me -- I don't need golf for that.  And I've been knocked down so many times, I've lost count.  But I keep getting back up... to do a'maize-ing things, including being an alum of YOUR favorite school to hate...  I'm not quite ready to play for the pride of my school.  But, hopefully, soon.  Here's a pic of my golf bag, for your enjoyment. 😆 

golf bag.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, HankBlue said:

including being an alum of YOUR favorite school to hate..

How could I hate UM? They have  helped us with 17 wins in the last 20 games.  Go Harbaugh!

• Funny 1

Stuart M.

130+ back in 2003 playing with a co-worker who dragged me out at a local cow patch that is an outlet development now. I had been to the range only once before that and remember coming away with blisters on both my hands..😄

It was love after the first date. Other than my wife and kids, my strongest commitment to anything yet! Kinda proud of myself and honestly proud of all y'all lifetimers too..:beer:

Vishal S.

I really don't remember since it was around 35 years ago.  I would reckon somewhere around a 100 or so but this was in the days before electronic devices and scorecards, which means unless my parents have saved the scorecard, I will never know.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I can't remember what I shot in my first round. I know it was a 9 hole round in 1993 on a Tuesday. 

I had just started a new job. It was my second day. A Tuesday morning, and a colleague came up to me and said "We have a Tuesday Night Golf League and I signed you up for it." 
"I don't have clubs." 
"Run out and buy some on lunch." 
"Okay." 

I bought a dozen balls and a boxed set of clubs. They were a set of Knight Centauri's. I can't really recall if the set came with a bag and a putter or if I bought those separately. Either way, that evening I played 9 holes. I don't remember my score, but it wasn't good. The nachos and beer after the round were delicious. I do remember that. 

Edited by ChetlovesMer
spelling

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I was supporting a data center in Tallahassee, Fl two weeks out of every six weeks and it was a road trip for me.  The customer didn’t want us onsite unless there was trouble, so boredom was an issue, and I would ride around looking for things to do.

Late one afternoon I saw a golf course and decided to play the next day knowing nothing about the game. That night I look up how to hold a golf club on the internet. The next day I went to the course, rented clubs, and played.   

I called my boss when I was finished, he being a very good and addicted golfer. He asked what I shot and I told him it was a 56 or 57. He was astounded and I don’t think he believed me until I told him it was a 9-hole par 3 course.

I’ve been addicted since I played that game.

I'm going to guess that it was something in the 80s on a short little executive course called Rollandia. Truth be told, it wasn't much more than a pitch-and-putt. There were two holes you could hit a wood on. Greens were perfect, flat pancakes.  Put it this way. The place shared the property with "The Magic Castle".

Lots of worm-burners, but at least we didn't have that far to go.

Edited by mcanadiens

I don''t remember, but I am sure it was a LOT. Only went to a driving range once in my life before my first round.  My eldest brother, 9 years my sr, took me to a now closed course in Bellaire MI, in 1977 or so.. I sucked but was smitten by the game. 7 years later I was pretty darn good and stayed that way for a decade and a half when injuries from other sports and work made my handicap climb precipitously. When I hit double digits, I quit for 20 years till my kid took up the game. Golfing with the kid tat 12:45, this will be interesting, playing off L Huron with 10-20 mph winds gusting to 30mph in the forecast for this afternoon. I like playing in the wind.

On 9/9/2021 at 11:27 PM, StuM said:

How could I hate UM? They have  helped us with 17 wins in the last 20 games.  Go Harbaugh!

Sorry for the delayed response... but "life happens." 🙂

Well, we NEVER lost a football game to the Buckeyes while I was in school. 🙄*

And NONE of our long winning streak (Where have you gone Earl Bruce?) was VACATED (2010) due to cheating. 😜

And how is Maurice Clarett?  Has he learned how to read yet? 😆 

[*Full disclosure: we also never beat Notre Dame 😒 ]

Edited by HankBlue

Note: This thread is 758 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!