Sign in to follow this  
TaylorMadeTaylor

Chopping down the superfast

Note: This thread is 3507 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

14 posts / 1891 viewsLast Reply

I have a Burner Superfast and just got back from the range, and I love it but I feel like I will love it even more if the shaft wasn't grossly long. I was thinking about trimming it from 46.5" to 45" but I am afraid that the swingweight is going to become too light. Any thoughts?

I have a Burner Superfast and just got back from the range, and I love it but I feel like I will love it even more if the shaft wasn't grossly long. I was thinking about trimming it from 46.5" to 45" but I am afraid that the swingweight is going to become too light. Any thoughts?

dono about the swing weight, but the shaft will stiffen up a bit most likely.

How tall are you?

46.5 is very long, but the club was engineered around a longer shaft. I'd consider adding weight inside the hosel if you are taking off more than .25 inches.

I went down the cutting down the shaft road myself with my 09 Burner. Tried adding lead tape, etc. But in the end, I just bought a new shaft that was 45'' to begin with.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

dono about the swing weight, but the shaft will stiffen up a bit most likely.

I was under the impression that if it is cut from the butt end that it would not effect the stiffness... am I wrong?

Cutting from the butt end doesn't stiffen the shaft. Cutting 1 1/2" off will decrease the swing weight by 9 pts(3 pts for 1/2") To offset this you would have to put 9-4" strips of 1/2" lead tape on the head(4" of 1/2" lead tape equals 1 swing weight pt)

Cutting from the butt end doesn't stiffen the shaft. Cutting 1 1/2" off will decrease the swing weight by 9 pts(3 pts for 1/2") To offset this you would have to put 9-4" strips of 1/2" lead tape on the head(4" of 1/2" lead tape equals 1 swing weight pt)

Forgive me if I am wrong, but wouldn't cutting the shaft at the butt end move the balance point of the club toward the head? If so, adding lead tape to the head would only worsen the imbalance.

Cutting a shaft does indeed stiffen it! Don't be fooled! Try this little experiment:

1. Get a toothpick
2. Break it in half
3. Grab one of it's halves and break it in half
4. Now grab one of it's halves and break it in half

You should be seeing that the toothpick is becoming more and more difficult to break or even bend. Same theory goes for when you cut a shaft down, regardless of how much you take away from it.

Cutting a shaft does indeed stiffen it! Don't be fooled! Try this little experiment:

Cutting from the butt end stiffens the shaft by a minute amount. Your toothpick theory/analogy means nothing.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but wouldn't cutting the shaft at the butt end move the balance point of the club toward the head? If so, adding lead tape to the head would only worsen the imbalance.

Agree... seems to me more weight would need to be added to the butt end of the club to make up for what was cut off if the balance was to be preserved.

It won't stiffen it near as much as cutting it from the head end would. But yes, it still minimally stiffens it up. Probably nothing the average golfer could notice.

Cutting from the butt end stiffens the shaft by a minute amount. Your toothpick theory/analogy means nothing.

No, it doesn't mean nothing, it means exactly what I said. It will indeed stiffen your shaft, even if it is a "minute" amount. This being said, the OP wants to cut off an inch and a half, which in turn, would have a greater effect than a "minute" amount on the stiffness of the club.

I will swim against the tide on this one. Major OEM's spend millions on R & D, on shaft and head combinations, and all too often, amateurs will attempt to fix a swing flaw by "re-engineering" their equipment, which may not have been suited to them in the first place. Not saying that some people don't benefit from aftermarket shafts, but most just read about the newest, hot shaft on tour, and assume it will work for them.

It won't stiffen it near as much as cutting it from the head end would. But yes, it still minimally stiffens it up. Probably nothing the average golfer could notice.

Exactly...now before you cut it...grip down and play with it for a month.

Note: This thread is 3507 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!