IGNORED

John Daly forgets his putter down under...

TheGeekGolfer
Note: This thread is 4831 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How do you

'forget your putter' ...
Daly’s putter appeared to be part of the issue—he forgot his new putter in his hotel room at the resort. His girlfriend failed to arrive with it from their room before Daly teed off.

He shot an 83 and missed the cut after shooting a 71 on Thursday. I don't know why...for some reason I keep rooting for the guy. Maybe I like rooting for the underdog? Maybe I see a bit of me in him?

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

So did he play with 13 clubs? If so I wonder what club he putted with.

WITB:

• Driver: Titleist TSR3 8.0 A3, Badazz 60g S
  • Hybrid: Cobra Baffler 17*
  • Irons: T200 P-4
  • Wedges: Callaway X Forged 48*,56*,60*
  • Putter: Ping Anser Milled 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The course did not have a pro shop? Usually there are tons of putters laying around from various (sponsor) companies hoping one of them would pick one up and use it. Strange.

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

So did he play with 13 clubs? If so I wonder what club he putted with.

He had a putter, just not the one he wanted.

Had a big sooky hissy fit and hardly tried at all, which is what he does when he knows he is going to miss a cut, barely breaking his stride to putt. I think we need to get over this jerk for once and for all. Wayne Grady put it very well. "John Daly needs golf. Golf doesn't need John Daly."

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Surely he could have used a different putter?

He could've used a different putter, he just decided he wanted a particular one. And don't call him Shirley!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I always want to seem him make a return to form and then he does something like this.

5 tour wins in probably a 25 year career doesn't sound like there was ever much of a form to return to.

Take a list of all your favorite golfers and see how many have won two majors like JD. That will better frame things for you.

I don't believe the majority think about "two majors" when John Daly is mentioned.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I don't believe the majority think about "two majors" when John Daly is mentioned.

My first thoughts of JD: Booze, Gambling, Drama, Bad pants.

But I can't help but pull for the guy. He is golf's little bastard child.

Yeah, I agree. That was my whole point. He deserves far more respect than many give him. Personal stuff is personal stuff. He has his short comings. As golfers, we should acknowledge his accomplishments and two majors is one hell of an accomplishment. Let the tabloids and pseudo fans have the booze and divorce discussion. JD is good for the game of golf in my opinion. I am biased though. My first golf club was a Wilson Killer Whale driver. Grip it and rip it was the name of the game. JD is the reason I got interested in golf. I doubt I am alone. This is what John Daly does for golf. An image from the Viking Classic in early October. Big gallery for a guy that didn't even make the cut. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...love-john-daly -Dan

I don't care for him but when he won his PGA he was a great player and if he maintained that form he'd been the best player on the planet. He could putt with anyone, hit it way past them, and had a great short game. He took an opportunity to be a hall of fame golfer and flushed it down the toliet. I'd like to be that talented at something and don't feel sorry for him one bit. Hell, he still gets to play golf for a living.

Brian

I wouldn't expect anyone to feel sorry for him. I know I don't. I think you touched on the source of great animosity for JD. Folks are jealous of his talents and abilities. Most people say what they would have done with such an opportunity and see his efforts squandered. I get that. But I also contend that there is a great deal of projection associated with this. Any way you cut it, he is a fan favorite, won two majors, and plays a game for a living. Squandered means different things to different people I guess. I think he is quite a success myself. Granted, I am glad he is not married to my sister. Ha ha...

-Dan

If I have his success in business that he had in golf I think I'll be ok. I just don't think I'd waste it away he did. He wasted his wealth gambling and getting married too many times. Granted, it is alot easier to say what you would or wouldn't do with money when you don't have it. Maybe I'd be in Vegas with 3 call girls and a pile of drugs if I had the fortunes he had at different points in his life.

Brian

Take a list of all your favorite golfers and see how many have won two majors like JD. That will better frame things for you.

He has a handful of wins (yes, including two majors) but he also has years and years of really bad golf. Three top tens in Majors in his 20 plus year career. I'm curious if there are any other two time major winners who have missed as many cuts as him. My point is that terms like "comeback" and "return to form" seem a little strange in his case given that good golf has been such an anomaly throughout his career.

He has a handful of wins (yes, including two majors) but he also has years and years of really bad golf. Three top tens in Majors in his 20 plus year career. I'm curious if there are any other two time major winners who have missed as many cuts as him.

He's also the only person to win two or more majors to not play on a Ryder Cup team, other than those that aren't eligible for said team (e.g., Vijay Singh, Ernie Els).

On the other hand, only 6 players have won two or more majors before their 30th birthday, and he's one of them.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I think you touched on the source of great animosity for JD. Folks are jealous of his talents and abilities. Most people say what they would have done with such an opportunity and see his efforts squandered. I get that. But I also contend that there is a great deal of projection associated with this. Any way you cut it, he is a fan favorite

The source of people's animosity towards JD is that they are jealous of his talents and abilities? Or that he pissed away that talent and ability? Whatever. The source of people's animosity towards JD is the fact that he behaves like a buffoon on and off the course. Maybe this article will provide some perspective on what an embarrassment and a train wreck JD is...... http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35671943/ns/sports-golf/ Also take a read of the one first hand reader comment to this other article: http://www.linkslifegolf.com/2009/01...he-common-man/ As you can see a picture of JD emerges that makes him an embarrassment to the tour. Has he turned his life around? Perhaps, but considering his most recent lawsuit of the Honda Classic and the children's charity associated with the tournament leads me to believe otherwise.

In my Mizuno Aerolite IV Stand Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910D2 (9.5°, RIP Alpha 70S)
Wood: Titleist 910F (15°, RIP Alpha 70S)

Irons: Mizuno MP-68 Irons (3 - PW, C-Taper S+), Mizuno MP-33 2 Iron (C-Taper S+)

Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled (56.11 - Bent to 54°, 60.07 Tour Chrome, C-Taper S+ DSS)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (34")

Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x

GPS: Garmin Approach g5

Most useful training aids (for me) that I use: Tour Striker Pro 7 Iron, Swingyde, Tour Sticks alignment sticks, Dave Pelz Putting Tutor

Note: This thread is 4831 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!