IGNORED

Insanity vs. P90X

Yukari
Note: This thread is 4655 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Yukari

Quote:

Originally Posted by TN94z

I told you man.  Almost everyone I know that actually tracked what they were eating on Fitday were really amazed. Most people have no idea what kind and how many calories they take in during a day.

Yup, you were right!  I was taking in about 5,000 to 6,000 calories a day.  That's why I was not losing any fat.  Thank goodness I was working out as much as I did so I wasn't gaining any weight either.

Wow!!  That's the kind of calories that Olympic swimmers take in...or Jay Cutler (Mr.Olympia).  I wish I could eat like that and not gain fat

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari View Post
Abs are all diet. You can't target train and for most men if they have any fat that is where they have it. If you eat like that I don't care what you do (unless your a freak with a ultra fast metabolism). You seem plenty active enough. I've seen a diet guy and this is where I got my info. Here's his website: Wiefit.com Your good protein is too low, not eating enough throughout the day. If you want to see my diet I posted it on another thread. It was 2200 calories and I lost 5% fat in 3 months. Search for it and it should be pretty easy to find.

Thanks, Leftygolfer. I found your diet post: http://thesandtrap.com/forum/threads...ht=#post557605 I will give it a try (or something similar to it). I knew it had to be my diet, as I am very active and I have some what of the six-pack definition, but nothing like those guys you see on TV doing Insanity or P90X. I will try it for a month and will let you know.

No problem.  I'm not sure if that is enough calories or not.  He actually increased my calorie intake to around 2500.  When I was following the diet I didn't feel hungry or starved.  I felt good.

The biggest thing for me has always been eating breakfast.  I lost most of my wieght on my own and just counting calories.  I'd write down everything I ate and added up my calories.  I'd eat 2 eggs 2 pieces of bacon 1 piece of toast every day.  I did that for a year.  I'd say my average calorie intake was 1600 or so.  I was competing in a weight loss competition.  I just got skinny looking.  Now I'm trying to get thicker in the right places.  It has worked well for the most part.

Brian

I tell ya, watching what you eat is a lot harder than golf!  The temptation is tremendous.

Usually, my buddies and I get together on Fridays around 4 or 5 PM for a few beer.  Today, I told my buddies I gave up alcohol cold turkey and didn't touch a drink.  I am hoping this gets a little easier as time passes (just like leaning a new golf swing )

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Personally, I prefer P90X to Insanity. P90X requires that you buy some equipment though, so it's more expensive of a program to be following. You need a pull-up bar and some dumb bells to get started. Also, my body responds a lot more to weight lifting than cardio. Last winter and spring, I counted calories and did all the right things with my diet. I did P90X along with this diet, but I only did the weight training workouts. I didn't do Kempo or Cardio X at all. I didn't do any additional cardio (I stuck with Plyo X though). I ended up losing close to 40 lbs. which for me is a lot, since I only started at 195 lbs. (I'm 6 feet tall).

Don't get me wrong -- cardio is great. But I personally enjoy weights more, and along with a healthy nutritional plan, you can really slim the waist doing this.

I would do more cardio (because I do enjoy it), but my knees have always had problems, so I tend to avoid too much cardio, even on an elliptical, which reduces impact.

I also was pounding creatine post-workout regularly. That is an excellent supplement to be using. I didn't get "fat" or "bulky" at all either. In fact, I somehow managed to slim my waist with it. I looked skinny and lean more than anything. Weird how that works.

The progression of my weight loss was this:

November 2009: 195 lbs.

May 2010: 169 lbs.

I stopped working out due to an injury at this time, and I also stopped doing my strict eating program. By August 2010, after three months of no exercise, I was down to 156 lbs. All that was muscle weight that I had lost, but damn did I look skinny. I don't think that happens when you stop doing cardio. It does with weight lifting though.

I haven't lifted still since May, but I'm going to start again soon (using P90X). Right now I'm 166. It's an out of shape 166, but it's still only 166.

Like I always say though, one size doesn't necessarily fit all. But, this was my experience with P90X and dieting, which were two things I never did before November 2009.

Constantine

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Personally, I prefer P90X to Insanity. P90X requires that you buy some equipment though, so it's more expensive of a program to be following. You need a pull-up bar and some dumb bells to get started. Also, my body responds a lot more to weight lifting than cardio. Last winter and spring, I counted calories and did all the right things with my diet. I did P90X along with this diet, but I only did the weight training workouts. I didn't do Kempo or Cardio X at all. I didn't do any additional cardio (I stuck with Plyo X though). I ended up losing close to 40 lbs. which for me is a lot, since I only started at 195 lbs. (I'm 6 feet tall).

Don't get me wrong -- cardio is great. But I personally enjoy weights more, and along with a healthy nutritional plan, you can really slim the waist doing this.

I would do more cardio (because I do enjoy it), but my knees have always had problems, so I tend to avoid too much cardio, even on an elliptical, which reduces impact.

I also was pounding creatine post-workout regularly. That is an excellent supplement to be using. I didn't get "fat" or "bulky" at all either. In fact, I somehow managed to slim my waist with it. I looked skinny and lean more than anything. Weird how that works.

I stopped working out due to an injury at this time, and I also stopped doing my strict eating program. By August 2010, after three months of no exercise, I was down to 156 lbs. All that was muscle weight that I had lost, but damn did I look skinny. I don't think that happens when you stop doing cardio. It does with weight lifting though.

I haven't lifted still since May, but I'm going to start again soon (using P90X). Right now I'm 166. It's an out of shape 166, but it's still only 166.

Like I always say though, one size doesn't necessarily fit all. But, this was my experience with P90X and dieting, which were two things I never did before November 2009.

Interesting how taking creatine helped in you weight loss.  There are lots of studies on how some compounds can increase lean body mass increase while reducing fat.  At first, I thought all these diet pills were junk and that only exercise burned fat.  It turns out some of these diet pills actually do work.  I've read many research articles showing that some plant extracts promote lean mass body increase (i.e., muscle, bone density, etc.) similar to working out while reducing fat.  These are actual scientific journal articles not just "paid" advertisements disguised as a scientific paper.

Don

Yea but i am not a big fan of putting something like that in my body. I love cooking, huge fan of it, can;t help it really, mom was never that good. So i cooked alot, just have a nack for it. So i wont say i eat everything as close as it came from the earth. I love steak, i know this one restaurant that might turn any vegetarian around to a carnivore, the best damn steaks known to man, whoo.. besides that, i do each foods with the least amount of strange names on the ingredients list. If its hard to pronounce i tend to stay away from it. I also cut out all breads, and majority of processed foods. One of my favorite phrases, Keep It Simple Stupid. Thats my dogma for eating.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by Yukari

Quote:

Interesting how taking creatine helped in you weight loss.  There are lots of studies on how some compounds can increase lean body mass increase while reducing fat.  At first, I thought all these diet pills were junk and that only exercise burned fat.  It turns out some of these diet pills actually do work.  I've read many research articles showing that some plant extracts promote lean mass body increase (i.e., muscle, bone density, etc.) similar to working out while reducing fat.  These are actual scientific journal articles not just "paid" advertisements disguised as a scientific paper.

Creatine isn't a diet supplement. I can't vouch for any of those products.

I used one serving of creatine post-workout. It helps increase your muscle gains over the long term. For example, if you work out 5 times a week and take creatine after each workout, in about three months, you might have 10-15% more muscle mass than you would had you not taken it. The gains are really only seen over the long term.

And studies have shown over decades that creatine is the best legal supplement out there. There have never been any negative effects for anyone who has taken it.

The majority of my weight loss likely came from two places: 1) My diet was 90% healthy. I really only had a cheat day once every two weeks over a period of six months. And 2) I busted my ass in the gym. Well, my living room. But with P90X, your living room becomes your gym.

Originally Posted by saevel25

Yea but i am not a big fan of putting something like that in my body. I love cooking, huge fan of it, can;t help it really, mom was never that good. So i cooked alot, just have a nack for it. So i wont say i eat everything as close as it came from the earth. I love steak, i know this one restaurant that might turn any vegetarian around to a carnivore, the best damn steaks known to man, whoo.. besides that, i do each foods with the least amount of strange names on the ingredients list. If its hard to pronounce i tend to stay away from it. I also cut out all breads, and majority of processed foods. One of my favorite phrases, Keep It Simple Stupid. Thats my dogma for eating.

Something like what? Creatine?

Constantine

Well any sort of protein mix and yes creatine. I don't need something that helps water get into my muscles faster to get them to repair quicker. I don't need protein suppliments that are not regulated by the FDA, which have shown to have trace elements and other compounds that could be harmful.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Well any sort of protein mix and yes creatine. I don't need something that helps water get into my muscles faster to get them to repair quicker. I don't need protein suppliments that are not regulated by the FDA, which have shown to have trace elements and other compounds that could be harmful.

I'm not sure what protein supplements you are referring to. But that's fair enough. Everyone's responsible for doing their own serious research if they're going to put something in their body. That goes beyond message board tips.

Constantine

I used to take Creatine during the summer.  For me I really didn't see what some see.  I've heard people talk about how amazing it was and I didn't see it.  I looked a little fuller but I didn't feel any stronger.

I take and love protein shakes.  I think it has helped me build muscle and save time.  I like the more expensive as it is isolate so 90% + pure protein.  To me it really reminds me of dehydrated milk.  Don't forget to rinse out the shaker, it gets stinky quick as it is dairy and egg based.

Brian

I love cooking, huge fan of it, can;t help it really, mom was never that good. So i cooked alot, just have a nack for it. So i wont say i eat everything as close as it came from the earth. I love steak, i know this one restaurant that might turn any vegetarian around to a carnivore, the best damn steaks known to man, whoo.. besides that, i do each foods with the least amount of strange names on the ingredients list. If its hard to pronounce i tend to stay away from it. I also cut out all breads, and majority of processed foods. One of my favorite phrases, Keep It Simple Stupid. Thats my dogma for eating.

If you love cooking, then you would love to get into nutrition/counting calories. I cooked basically everything I ate. I love cooking as well and it became a great challenge to be able to cook healthy meals that were delicious. I started off doing very simpleton recipes in November and by May I was a pretty adept amateur cook who knew a lot of healthy, delicious recipes. Once I had established a go-to recipe list of meals I knew I really enjoyed, the nutrition plan wasn't as hard as it could have been.

I did a lot of bulk cooking in the evening and packaged everything else up for the next day. It's helpful to have a cooler in your car full of solid options when you're out and about. After two months of calorie counting with a scale, I was finally able to eye ball portions on my own. So the next four months were fairly habitual.

I haven't eaten "clean" (as they say) for months now. Now I'm having fun with cooking with reckless abandon. It's good though to have both perspectives just in case you need to cook a meal for someone who is watching what they eat.

PS- I had maybe two steaks over that six month period. You can still eat them on a diet if you just account for them calorie wise. It's your total calorie total at the end of the day that matters, not necessarily what you are eating. Eating healthy certainly helps though, and healthier foods are more filling.

Constantine

It's all diet I was all about keeping fit, having abs not much with being real muscular but just fit. The unfortunate part is the dieting starts to wear on you after awhile I mean if you're young it's nothing but when I hit about 27 things got a lot harder. Now I just do p90x and run try to keep up my diet as much as possible but I've definitely strayed a lot from it. The one thing that shocked me was I cut down on beer and started drinking vodka on the rocks lost 4 pounds from that alone.  I miss those 18 to 25 years where you could kind of keep your diet and just work out enough to stay in great shape. If you keep up what you're doing with a better diet you will get abs pretty quick. I have a good friend who keeps a very strict diet and just runs never lifts weights he's had a 6 pack as long as I've known him. He is always amped up though so I think he's got a pretty high metabolism because he does like the sauce a lot.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I talked to an owner of www.t-nation.com and discussed my diet and exercise to get a hardcore six-pack abs.

And like most of the people on this forum, he said 80% is about what you put in to your body that counts more than exercise.  Basically, he said I should watch what I eat and cut out processed food, especially bread based food like muffins, donuts, pizza, etc.  They are my favorite food!!!

So I have started watching what I eat last week, and already I lost 2 lbs in one week!!!  I can see a better definition on my abs!

But I must admit, this change to healthier diet is a lot harder than I thought!  I hope I can make this change permanently.

Don

The key for me was learning about different foods and recipes so I had tons of healthy options at the ready whenever I was hungry. If you're eating the same healthy things over and over again, it gets really boring really fast. Expand your knowledge of healthy foods and how to prepare them, and you'll increase your probability of sticking with it for the long term.

Constantine

6-pack abs are overrated and extremely tough to keep, not worth the hassel in my book.

I am good with portions i cook, its going out to eat, i really got back into eating fast food, and gorging myself to much... Got to stop that...

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

6-pack abs are overrated and extremely tough to keep, not worth the hassel in my book.

I am good with portions i cook, its going out to eat, i really got back into eating fast food, and gorging myself to much... Got to stop that...

yea for the abs you have to run to loose weight in your stomach because you can do all the sit ups you want but your 6 pack ab muscles will be under the fat and not visible

As you said, you were taking in too many calories, but keep in mind that it's not just how many calories you're taking in, it's also what kind of calories you're taking in. Try and get vegetables into your diet, the more the better, and some good fats too [avocado, almonds, etc]

It's your total calorie total at the end of the day that matters, not necessarily what you are eating.

Be careful giving this statement as advice though.  This can easily be taken out of context. You need your macros to be on track as well, like your fats, protein, and carbs.  So just saying that you calorie total at the end of the day is what matters is not necessarily true.  You need your ratios to be correct as well.

And many people don't realize that not everyone can have the "rock hard 6 pack abs." Some people just don't have the genetics for it, IMO.  I have seen some of my friends who are lean and work their abs a lot still not have the magazine abs.  The "rock hard 6 pack abs" that you see are normally someone that has leaned down for the commercial shoot or picture shoot and then will go back to their regular weight afterward.  It is very hard for someone to walk around at a very low % bodyfat unless you are an ectomorph that can't gain.

I'm not saying eveyone can't have visible abs....but when I hear the term "rock hard abs", I think of bodybuilders.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Note: This thread is 4655 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!