IGNORED

Average Drive Carry Distance

Big Don
Note: This thread is 3615 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 members have voted

1. 1. How Far Do You Carry Your Drive?

• Less than 200 yards
    • 200-225 Yards
    • 225-250 Yards
    • 250-275 Yards
    • Over 275 Yards

I carry just at 225 although the poll is a little generous in my humble opinion. Lumping me in with the people carrying it 250 is a nice stroke to my ego.

As for the 300 yard guy - more power to you. My partner in a golf league a few years back hit it 300, a real 300 yards. Not like my 235-240 is 260! He was so good that we were penalized an extra stroke every nine holes in his match.

I honestly hit one 300 yards - once. It landed on a sprinkler head, kicked left onto the cart path and rolled another 30 yards. We had a wedge in on that hole. It was awesome, I wish it was always that easy!

In my Callaway Warbird X stand bag:

Callaway FT-5 , regular flex
3 Wood, TaylorMade Burner 2007, regular Flex
Hybrid, Warrior Golf 19 degreeHybrid, Callaway X 3H 21 degreeIrons - Callaway X-18 4-PWSW Cleveland CG 12 60 degree, AW Cleveland CG 12 54 degree Putter - Odyssey White Hot #2Ball -...

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I honestly have no idea.
At the range 275-300
On the little crappy muni course I play 275-288 'driveable par4s'
On many normal courses 235'ish of carry sometimes 250 yards of carry.
On one hole on one course that requires a 250 yard carry over water to reach the fairway or a 9 iron tee shot layup on a par five, 240 ish with one that made it over and rolled back into the water after hitting the edge. Lame!

I don't have a gps and I've played so many courses that I realize why people struggle with this. I've had drives that seemed impossibly long and impossibly short according to the markers on the course. I'm like wait so I hit that drive 340 yards?!? and wait so that awesome drive went 200 yards?

Anyway I'm an optimist so yea I drive it 300 no problem. Just don't ask me or anyone about to play the 250 yards of carry over water that question, they will lose all their balls trying to prove they weren't lying.

I know for a fact that carry is around 285. Shoot, roll we're looking at another 10+ yards. I would love to have consistent 300+ drives. I just don't have that endurance yet.

In my bag

907 D2 Driver
904 F2 3 & 5 Wood
ZM Forged 4-9 Irons wedges 52 Spin Milled 48, 56, 60 Newport 2 putter 35"

I'd like to see everyone that thinks they carry the ball 275+ play this hole. :)

it would be a lay up for me

... even though if we were playing for fun i would definatly give it a whirl

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

^ If the distance between the two marked points is 282 yards (845 feet), then it looks like a 75% of the distance is all you would need for a carry over that lake, which would be 211 yards. If the 845 feet is measuring from the tee to the back of the lake, that's another story. If, however, it's only 211 yards to carry the water, I'd cut that dogleg every time! Here's a 240-260 yard carry that's tough for me to clear but possible on a good day with the driver.

I aim for the fairway in front of the bunkers. If I don't pull or slice, I'm good! That's about 40% of the time.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

That line is obviously from the tee to the fairway I'm not sure what you are saying. This thread was about hitting driver wasn't it?

The line has a start and a stop and a distance - I assumed the distance was measured between the two marked endpoints. Is that not the case? Is the distance from the tee endpoint to the edge of the lake? What I am saying is that if the distance between the two marked points is 282 yards, then it's quite a bit less to carry the water.

That picture is the 18th at San Geronimo in Northern California.

Its a par five, the water is front of the tee box. The green is at the top of the picture. It wouldn't have made sense otherwise. Yes if you don't want to lay up with an mid/short iron you have to carry from the Tee box to past the lake.

You are looking at it backwards I think. The play is the start or tee box and the stop sign is the end or fairway.

You are looking at it backwards I think. The play is the start or tee box and the stop sign is the end or fairway.

Time to lay up!

• 4 years later...

If the true average driver shot off the tee, of amateur male golfer is 200 yards (total distance?)...

with proper golf balls?

that amateur needs some lessons, IMO...

Could be some big mishits slices hooks and bottom of the clubface hits in that average mixture? Those kind of mishits totally rob your shots distance. Massive spin, and low impact on the clubface, short altitude ball, short distance, high spin...

Unless were talking about seniors, disabled golfers, women, children etc...

I'm slightly above average in strength levels - compared to other 20 year males in my country. And I can hit a range ball 275 carry at my best shots.

(and yes, when I was at my local range  hacking those balls, I was hitting longest it seemed, or second longest)

I was hitting range balls in a fricking storm out to 250 yards carry. Sure, it was 5e wasted money on range balls but still :-P

IM NOT SAYING IM THE BEST golfer I need lessons myself. BUT I'd rather try to learn to drive the ball better so I have some more chances at par4-5 holes.

If the true average driver shot off the tee, of amateur male golfer is 200 yards (total distance?)...

with proper golf balls?

that amateur needs some lessons, IMO...

Could be some big mishits slices hooks and bottom of the clubface hits in that average mixture? Those kind of mishits totally rob your shots distance. Massive spin, and low impact on the clubface, short altitude ball, short distance, high spin...

Unless were talking about seniors, disabled golfers, women, children etc...

I'm slightly above average in strength levels - compared to other 20 year males in my country. And I can hit a range ball 275 carry at my best shots.

(and yes, when I was at my local range  hacking those balls, I was hitting longest it seemed, or second longest)

I was hitting range balls in a fricking storm out to 250 yards carry. Sure, it was 5e wasted money on range balls but still

IM NOT SAYING IM THE BEST golfer I need lessons myself. BUT I'd rather try to learn to drive the ball better so I have some more chances at par4-5 holes.

That's exactly what average is supposed to be but not many people who do that around here like to include those shots even though they hit it. If they were to even take 20 swings and throw out the worst and best it still would be a lot lower than what some here want to believe. It's the same as taking a mulligan every other hole just count them. I know the argument will be well I'm not counting those because I didn't hit the ball like I normally can or usually will, but then I say when will that happen because those are your normal ones if they happen often enough to not want to count them then they must happen an awful lot.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Note: This thread is 3615 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!