IGNORED

Average Drive Carry Distance

Big Don
Note: This thread is 3592 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 members have voted

1. 1. How Far Do You Carry Your Drive?

• Less than 200 yards
    • 200-225 Yards
    • 225-250 Yards
    • 250-275 Yards
    • Over 275 Yards

How far do you carry a drive on average?

Taylormade r7 460
Callaway X 3 Wood
Callaway X 5 Wood
Callaway X 7 Wood
Callaway X Hybrid (24*)TaylorMade r7 Irons (5-PW)Mizuno MP-R Series Wedges (52,58 degrees)Ping G2 Anser Putter

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My average carry is 245-250. Total distance is usually around the 260-270 depending on conditions and course played. I do occasionally get those 300 yard total drives but they seem less these days as I get older. I'm not long but 84.3% fairways hit isn't bad either.

Mike

Titleist 915 D-2 9,5*

Titleist 915F 15*

Titleist 915H 18*

Mizuno MP-4 3-PW

Mizuno MP 54* & 60*

Yes Pippi Putter

I may have PGA yards, but not PGA accuracy or I wouldnt be typing right now and I would be on your TV.

You da man, I wish I was young again and could entertain ideas about 285!

Right now it's topping out at about 250 with roll bringing it to 275. I can get my swing speed up to 120 but on the course naturally lay off for accuracy to about 105-110. My problem is leg strength, i don't have any, so i've started a conditioning program for the lower body which will no doubt result in more yards. Maybe i've got a 300 yd drive in my bag still

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

I just returned from competing in the Pinnacle Exceptional Driver Championship in Laughlin NV. I hit several drives over 320 and the grid was uphill so not a lot of roll.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I recently decided i wanted to know how much my average carry of 215-220 at age 25 would have translated to in todays world 25 years later? I averaged 235 with roll then about 10 yards more than now, and was considered average to a little above then. I took my orignial Persiminon driver, 43 inch metal shaft, some old DT wound balls. Some modern 3 piece balls as well, to the range. Based on my experiment I am guessing that I have lost about 35yards but that technology has given me back 25. I was unable to consistently carry my old driver and balls over 200, average was between 185 and 190.. With the new balls it was even worse, except for 3 high spin balls? I could not get modern balls airborne with my old equipment. This is about 15 percent farther now for modern balls and clubs. Significant but not the huge difference I expected.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

About a year ago I went on a nostalgia kick and bought the best persimmon clubs available off of ebay, confident that I could hit them equal to my G2.

You know the persimmon club manufacturers advertise that in strict tests there is little discernable difference in carry and total distance . . . so i went to the range with 4 hi-quality persimmon drivers and went home with my tail between my legs totally disillusioned and haven't hit them since. I struggled to carry them 200 which was shocking to me . . . how did I ever hit one 300yds when i was young?

There is no doubt that the newer technology provides much greater carry, but i wonder if we have maxed out or is there something on the horizon which will bump it forward again?

The new clubs allow older players to keep up their distances and still feel as if they are capable of playing like they did when they were young, kind of an illusion though, father time has not been conquered, it only seems that way.

2009 Burner R
5W R7 R

how far do i carry my average drive...depends on how much battery life is in the cart....usually to 105 yards out of the green....which means a BOMB on the par 5's...like 400-440 baby...yeahya...

if there are people watching and i cant carry it up...usually 80% is good for 260 carry maybe 65....my all out and i get lucky and catch it....270-275 and with roll they turn out to be generally 275ish is the number....my bombs...290 tops....with a gail force wind and 300 feet of elevation change, with solid cart path contact...WHO KNOWS I could be the longest guy on the planet...

• 3 weeks later...

Over in england, the ball doesnt travel very far in the air unlike in the US , so im looking forward to playing a few rounds over there sometime to see how far i drive compared to the pros here in england recently i have hit drives with carry of about 280-290 but then again, its ok having all the length off the tee but my accuracy lets me down a lot of the time hence my handicap only being around the 8 mark, but im stil only 19, weigh about 150lbs and play ALL of my shots cross handed scary stuff!

Bubba Watson

In the Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910d3 9.5* Stiff Projext X-7A3 Rescue: Taylor Made Burner TP 20* X-stiff 3 Iron: Titleist AP2 Projext X Rifle Irons: Titleist 710mb NS PRO 105T Stiff Wedges Cleveland CG12 60* Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56.07 Cleveland CG14 52* Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio 2.5 (2008) Ball: Titleist Pro-V1

My carry is about 270 with depending on the firmness of the fairway 10-20 yards roll. Yesterday I hit a 315 yrd drive during twilight (lil damper air) I was very happy with that....and the fairway was firm and a lil down hill. Furthest drive of mine to date is 343 on a flat hole with regular firmness fairway. BUT that was once. and the win was about 7-8 MPH....that was when I had the NIKE ignite

FYI: last year 06' on the pga tour Jason gore had a drive of 427 !!!!!!! http://www.pgatour.com/stats/leaders/r/2006/159
Thats out of control.
Stuart appleby is right behind him with 426 yrds

ONE DAY

hahaha

I wish

B.Nichols
10.2 HCP
Playing for 1.5 years on a once a week basis.

SasQuatch 9.5 SasQuatch 3 wood 15*755 Irons 3-PW +1 Inch 2* upright Vokey 52*Vokey Spin Milled 56* 10 Bounce CG10 60* XG9 ( Phil Replica)TP Black

If you look on the holes at which those drives were done, they were all at the 12th at kapalua plantation course, home to to mercedes championships, if you can hit it to about 300 then the last lot is all severely downhill and can easill travel a further 100+ yards so not too of a WOW factor for me, lucas glover consecutively over three days hit it 400+ on that hole this year and the other 395 so its easily done to be honest, look at the highest drives that were not on that 12th hole, they will be around the 400 mark roughly, on the last is all severerly down hill on that 18th and in 2004, davis love III hit it 476 off the tee with exceptional amount of roll which bears down towards the left and hes not the biggest hitter, as its only a winners tournament, watch the drievs of J.B. Holmes on the 12th and 18th, and even other holes!

Bubba Watson

In the Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910d3 9.5* Stiff Projext X-7A3 Rescue: Taylor Made Burner TP 20* X-stiff 3 Iron: Titleist AP2 Projext X Rifle Irons: Titleist 710mb NS PRO 105T Stiff Wedges Cleveland CG12 60* Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56.07 Cleveland CG14 52* Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio 2.5 (2008) Ball: Titleist Pro-V1

• 1 month later...
250-260. I have a lower ball flight, so I get some decent roll...but I'm usually hovering at or a bit higher than 250.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I thought I hit about 275 until I got my Sky Caddy and actually started measuring my drives. It's really only about 235-245. 300 yard drives are a thing of the past now that I carry that thing around.

I thought I hit about 275 until I got my Sky Caddy and actually started measuring my drives. It's really only about 235-245. 300 yard drives are a thing of the past now that I carry that thing around.

LOL, you got religion, you're carrying the 'gospel' around with you now, you've found the truth! Yea, it is humbling just a bit but at least when you do really catch one you will know exactly how far it went!

2009 Burner R
5W R7 R

I'm a ranger, and we have a 259yrd par four that most of the big hitters don't reach,they brag about how far they hit the ball but week after week they come up short. Yes we have some that get their once in awhile but mostly short with and excuse.As these are league players I get to see them every week.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

Note: This thread is 3592 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!