IGNORED

Learning To Golf - Practice Week 8

newtogolf
Note: This thread is 4962 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After my last round I had a list of things I needed to work on in the following order; putting, tee shots with woods, more consistently striking the ball to improve dispersion.

Putting: Painful, I found a practice green and continued to have difficulty with distance. I seem to read the greens and line my putts up correctly but distance is a problem. The Rossa Corza Ghost may be the right putter for some, but I can't get a feel for it. I've ordered a pre-owned SC Studio Style Newport 2 putter which is a blade and based on the reviews I've read will hopefully be easier to control distances with.

Tee Shots - Despite my experience at the range, I couldn't hit my driver straight during my round. I was a bit more consistent with the 3 wood, but I didn't have much confidence swinging anything off the tee boxes. I need to work on my driver and fairway woods because I can tell my swing is not the same as my irons. I find myself overswinging and not following through the same way. I also notice that repeated practice with my long woods throws off my iron swing. I'm planning on having my instructor work with me on the long woods tomorrow if it doesn't rain so we can figure out what my issues are.

Dispersion: While most of my iron hits were good, they were inconsistent, mostly in terms of distance. Some 8i hits went longer than my 5i. I have decent control over direction, but I'm not striking the ball the same which is causing different lofts and distance. It's hard to pick the right club when you don't have consistent distances with them. Something else to figure out with the instructor.

I'm intrigued by all that I'm reading about S&T;, mostly in the simplicity of the swing which would seem to result in more consistent hitting. I don't think my current instructor teaches it, at least he's never brought it up and doesn't have me utilizing any of the key elements of the pattern. I bought the book and have started to read it, maybe try it out to see how it feels this weekend at the range.

I am trying to get a swing engrained into my muscle memory since the season is ending shortly and I will have 3-4 months of layoff until the spring. I don't want to start over so I'm hoping that I can find an indoor range that I can at least hit some balls at once a week. This game is frustrating.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4962 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!