IGNORED

Master "New Forum" Bugs, Problems, Feature Requests, Etc.

iacas
Note: This thread is 4791 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Originally Posted by jamo

I don't know about anyone else, but I've seen a huge increase in speed today. My normal website speed test is if I find myself navigating away from a page when it loads, it's slow, which this site has been since the change. Today, however, that has not been the case.

I do think it's gotten a little faster. It's still quite slow, and I'm going to keep asking that the speed be taken up a notch.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Feature request: The ability to change between the BBC and the Rich Text editors on the spot. Usually on forums there is the option to switch between the various editors when you're actually writing a post, but we can't do that here. (Would be nice for formatting multiple quotes in a reply, etc.) Bug: Check the "My Regular Courses" list in my signature and note that it says there are 3 items. Then click to [url=http://thesandtrap.com/lists/display/view/id/28218]view the list[/url] and note that there are only 2 items. I added an item in the beginning (days ago) and promptly removed it, so I'm guessing that's responsible for the extra. [quote name="iacas" url="/forum/thread/42763/master-new-forum-bugs-problems-feature-requests-etc#post_561548"]You can't, but I can. Did you miss the part where you typed in "Adams" and didn't select from the "Adams" that already existed?[/quote] Actually, no. I found the item in the database of existing but not added items and it was already labeled under Adams Golf. See below to continue this thought... Thanks for cleaning up after me. [quote name="iacas"]If you can reproduce that let me know. We'll look into it. I've noticed some oddness too but I have different controls so it's tough for me to see exactly the same things. [/quote] I saw it too here and there. I didn't see it the first couple days but when I made my last post in this thread I was seeing it for every post I made that day. Just a little "Please wait..." box. I'm guessing the server was just running slow or something. [quote="iacas"]I assume you mean editing the info in your lists... Again, we pull product details from an online retailer, so we get what they give us. Golf is unique in that so much of our equipment is customized - even drivers are available in several degrees, for example - and I agree it would be nice to be able to customize our equipment or at least have the listed equipment be more general.

For now, tell me what equipment is too specific and I can look to tweak the titles.[/quote] That was actually kind of my point, it would be nice if users could edit all the fields of an item they create from a pre-existing item before the process is finalized. Rather than take all the info for that item and save it as the info the user wanted input, just give the user the normal page to supply the details for an item and pre-populate it with the data that came from the pre-existing item. Right now it's just take the entire pre-existing item or leave it, and it seems like a shame to re-create all the profile info for an item just because one of the fields was incorrect. Thanks for being so responsive. :-)

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Pardon me if this is in the wrong thread, but I did notice something about the rotating display at the main site. Ron's newest article, Hoping, Praying for Tiger to be Tiger, is the most recent article on the site, but my article, Five Stories From the World of Golf, the second newest article on the site, appears to be the default highlighted article. In essence, it starts at the 2nd newest, then goes to the 3rd, the 4th...and last is the newest article.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Pardon me if this is in the wrong thread, but I did notice something about the rotating display at the main site. Ron's newest article, Hoping, Praying for Tiger to be Tiger, is the most recent article on the site, but my article, Five Stories From the World of Golf, the second newest article on the site, appears to be the default highlighted article. In essence, it starts at the 2nd newest, then goes to the 3rd, the 4th...and last is the newest article.

Ah, interesting. It looks like the newest article starts on the left, then the second newest, etc, but the article that's highlighted is always just the middle one. They'dd need to start the rotation on the last article in order to get the first one as the default highlighted article, which may not be a bad idea.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

• Administrator

Originally Posted by B-Con

Feature request: The ability to change between the BBC and the Rich Text editors on the spot. Usually on forums there is the option to switch between the various editors when you're actually writing a post, but we can't do that here. (Would be nice for formatting multiple quotes in a reply, etc.)

I agree that would be nice. I've filed this as a feature request.

Originally Posted by B-Con

Bug: Check the "My Regular Courses" list in my signature and note that it says there are 3 items. Then click to view the list and note that there are only 2 items. I added an item in the beginning (days ago) and promptly removed it, so I'm guessing that's responsible for the extra.

Looks like a definite bug to me. I'll file this. I expect this will be taken care of sooner than the feature request(s), largely because it's easier. :-)

Originally Posted by B-Con

That was actually kind of my point, it would be nice if users could edit all the fields of an item they create from a pre-existing item before the process is finalized. Rather than take all the info for that item and save it as the info the user wanted input, just give the user the normal page to supply the details for an item and pre-populate it with the data that came from the pre-existing item. Right now it's just take the entire pre-existing item or leave it, and it seems like a shame to re-create all the profile info for an item just because one of the fields was incorrect.

I don't think that's going to change. A product is a product. If you want to speak to the customization or whatnot of the "generic" product that you have listed, "edit" the item and put the specs in your "Notes" field. See my list and look at the notes on my driver, for example.

Originally Posted by jamo

I can confirm that I see that and I'll file the bug.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Following up on my note about the site being awfully slow, which I think a few others have noticed. I'm finding it to be much better today. Not sure if there's been an adjustment on the back end or what, but it's moving pretty nicely now.

Driver: Nike Covert Tour | 3W: Callaway X Hot Pro | Irons: Mizuno JPX-800 Pro X100 SS | Wedges: Vokey SM 54-08, Vokey Raw 60-12 | Putter (of the week): Arnold Palmer "The Original" 33"

Do you have a tutorial on how to use the Lists function? I was trying to upgrade my Signature area for the new system, but I can't figure our how the Lists works.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I don't think that's going to change. A product is a product. If you want to speak to the customization or whatnot of the "generic" product that you have listed, "edit" the item and put the specs in your "Notes" field. See my list and look at the notes on my driver, for example.

I agree with that, but I'm talking about something else. My concern is when adding equipment that will be seen in master "Equipment" tab. Let me be more specific. (I promise to drop the subject once I feel that I've properly communicated the problem.) From what I've observed, there are two lists of products. One list contains all the stuff we see under the "Equipment" tab. The other list is seems to be a mass conglomeration of items from many different product lists and its contents seem to only be visible when we're creating a new item. When creating a new item that will be visible under the "equipment" tab we are asked to search this database of existing (but otherwise not visible) equipment first. If we do not find the item we are hoping to create, then we create its profile from scratch. However, if we do find the item then we can select it and add it. The problem is that when we select an item from this list it does not necessary (and in my experience, it rarely does) fit into what the already-existing visible list looks like. Example: I want to add an Adams fairway wood to the equipment list. It does not exist in our existing equipment database under the "Equipment" section, so I try to add it. I first search for the product on the first page of "Add item" process and see that it exists in this "non-visible" list, but it has the wrong manufacturer. It says "Adams Golf", not just "Adams". I can either add this item as-is or I can create the item entry from scratch. If I do the later, I have to re-do a lot of the work that was already correct in the pre-existing item (and what's more, I can't even see all that information before adding it). But if I use the pre-existing item I use the wrong manufacturer name and I can't change it, thus our "Equipment" inventory is messed up. Example: I want to add a Ping putter to the equipment list. It does not exist in our existing equipment database under the "Equipment" section, so I try to add it. I first search for the product on the first page of "Add item" process and see that it exists in this "non-visible" list, but its title contains the dexterity and shaft length, which we do not do include in the profile. So I either have to create the putter's profile from scratch or I select the item with the wrong title and the "Equipment" inventory contains another item that doesn't follow our title standards. So if I could select the pre-existing item from this non-visible backend database in step one, then in the next step [i]edit[/i] the information and create a [i]new[/i] item that was just pre-populated by the information from the existing item, I could take advantage of all the information that was pre-populated. Right now we have our visible "Equipment" list and an item can either come from manual entry or from adding something found in the backend database. I'm suggesting we allow the option to add new items manually but pre-populate the information from an item in the backend database. Without the ability to do this, the backend database that we search through before adding an item is hard to use because almost all the items that are on it are mis-labled in some way and the more of them that get added, the less uniform and organized the visible equipment section will be. If we are to use it, we [i]need[/i] to be able to correct the wrong information before adding it. Personally, that seems like the entire point of having this mass database, to allow users to morph items from that into items on our official list. Sorry if I was unclear before. This is all about adding items to the Equipment category, it has nothing to do with personal lists.

Do you have a tutorial on how to use the Lists function? I was trying to upgrade my Signature area for the new system, but I can't figure our how the Lists works.

I haven't seen one, so I [url=http://thesandtrap.com/forum/thread/42848/using-lists-on-huddler-a-tutorial#post_562339]wrote one here[/url].

• Administrator

I see what you mean now about the "two lists." The second "hidden" list which is poorly constructed seems to come from a secondary source of information we don't use or something.

http://thesandtrap.com/products/ping-i15-driver

I saw this when I created the Ping i15 Driver. It should show up at some point as a product (it takes a few minutes). It wasn't in our products database, and when I typed the name I wanted I was given a whole bunch of crappy choices as alternatives - they all had lofts, shaft combos, etc. in them.

I'll ask what's going on with this, but in the meantime, here are your choices:

1. Add the item manually as a new item with the right name. For example, "Ping G15 Driver" and not "Ping G15 Driver 9* Graphite TFC 149 Stiff G-15 LEFT".
  2. Add one of the existing items and then tell me about it so that I can rename it, replace the image, and put in a better description.

I think you might have missed the fact that you can do option #1.

• Administrator

BTW, one of the annoyances I'm facing has to do with stupid products that differ only by having 4-PW or 3-PW or 5-PW or those combinations PLUS steel shafts instead of graphite (or graphite instead of steel), or individual irons.

For example, look at how many products we have for "Callaway X-24 HOT". Currently, there are six (below). How many of those are actually appropriate? One. There should be one product called "Callaway X-24 HOT Iron Set." Instead, there are six, which means I have to rename one and delete the other five. Callaway and TaylorMade are some of the worst for this type of stuff.

Callaway X-24 HOT Individual Iron with Graphite Shaft

Callaway X-24 HOT Individual Iron The Callaway X-24 HOT is new from the makers of the No.1 irons in...

Callaway X-24 HOT Iron Set 4-PW, SW with Graphite Shaft

Callaway X-24 HOT Iron Set 4-SW with Graphite Shafts The Callaway X-24 HOT Iron Set 4-SW with...

Callaway X-24 HOT Iron Set 4-PW, AW with Graphite Shafts

Callaway X-24 HOT Iron Set 4-AW with Graphite Shafts The Callaway X-24 HOT Iron Set 4-AW with...

Callaway X-24 HOT Iron Set 4-PW, SW with Steel Shafts

Callaway X-24 HOT Iron Set 4-SW with Steel Shafts The Callaway X-24 HOT Iron Set 4-SW with Steel...

Callaway X-24 HOT Individual Iron with Steel Shaft

Callaway X-24 HOT Individual Iron with Steel Shaft The Callaway X-24 HOT Iron is new from the...

Callaway X-24 HOT Iron Set 4-PW, AW with Steel Shaft

Callaway X-24 HOT Iron Set 4-AW with Steel Shafts The Callaway X-24 HOT Iron Set 4-AW with Steel...

Agreed about the weird/superfluous choices. It definitely seems like it's pulling from a database that includes a retailer who sells used goods, right? I've got a lot of older equipment (didn't realize it until i started my lists), so I was finding the "secondary" database to have a lot of these. My guess is it will be difficult to have people editing the product though because that defeats the purpose of a database that pulls in reviews, etc. The "plainer" the better, and then you can put your shafts as another item. So ideally you'd have your iron set without mention of shafts. Then select Dynamic Gold or Project X, etc. Same with grips, it's easy enough to put them into the list separate, which would also let people review their grips, shafts, etc., especially with how many times we see threads asking "which grips are perfect without a glove in the humidity" etc.

Driver: Nike Covert Tour | 3W: Callaway X Hot Pro | Irons: Mizuno JPX-800 Pro X100 SS | Wedges: Vokey SM 54-08, Vokey Raw 60-12 | Putter (of the week): Arnold Palmer "The Original" 33"

• Administrator

That's the problem with using the data feed of retailers. They want to provide an accurate description of one particular product, and that doesn't really suit our needs.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

I miss the user blogs. They were fun to read. Any chance huddler can add that feature sometime down the road?

Perhaps. But I'm not going to request them, because they're really not all that different from a forum thread except for the fact that less people read someone's blog. Know what I mean? :-)

The content is still there in the Locker Room, and you can create threads there like they're blog posts if you'd like. Or read them there.

Plus, Huddler lets you "subscribe to" or "follow" individuals, so you can see what they're up to across the whole site. That's cooler than following their blog.

About the only thing that I think is lost is that "blogs" have a certain kind of encouragement to them that's not really there when they become "start a forum thread."

Since creating my lists, I've edited them but they still show up in my signature as the old one. I've tried redoing my signature but the old one still comes up with all the old clubs and pictures.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

• Administrator

Originally Posted by DaSportsGuy

Since creating my lists, I've edited them but they still show up in my signature as the old one. I've tried redoing my signature but the old one still comes up with all the old clubs and pictures.

I haven't seen that. I've added items to my list and within a few minutes it's there. You currently (right now) don't have anything in your signature - no lists, no text.

Note: This thread is 4791 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!