IGNORED

Pipe Dream Show

Quinn07
Note: This thread is 2658 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Mac62

Quote:

Originally Posted by iPutt

Am I the only one that thinks the whole idea of him getting "kicked to the curb in 10 minutes" is a little far fetched and that something is missing?

That was my first thought as well.  The whole thing about the police giving him ten minutes to pack, then dropping him off somewhere in the city is a bunch of BS.  When the cops show up on a domestic violence call, you either get arrested or you don't get arrested.  If they have no probable cause to arrest you, they can't force you into a squad car and drop you off in the middle of nowhere against your will - that's called kidnapping and false imprisonment.  If that had been the case, this show wouldn't be happening because he'd be a multi-millionaire living in a mansion from the proceeds of the resulting lawsuit against the city, instead of a homeless man living "in the pipes".

Actually if she was the owner of the house, which it sounds like she was, the cops will remove him and he is lucky they gave him ten minuites.  This happens more often than you think, an aquaintance of mine had a large fight with his live in girl friend, she refused to leave even though it was his house.  Cops came in gave her a few minutes to collect her things and took her to a friends house.

To me the guy seems to be an excuse maker.  I would've, should've, could've, but this happened or this person prevented me from doing it.  One of the lines in the show, a guy telss him that he has become comfortable with the homeless lifestyle.  I know lots of college golfers that lived out of their car, when trying to make it on the mini-tours.  This guy is a whiner and an exuse maker.  He said that his putting let him down in his previous attempts at Q-School, lets see how much he gets in the groove putting in a tube.

BTW - His swing did not look all that good either.

Well see....

A couple of things about the Pipe Dream.

I think they are really embellishing his former life, from what it sounded like he tried to hack it on a few mini tours and never really got anywhere.  So riches to rags doesn’t really apply. It sounded more like he was a loner living at his gf house before he was kicked out.

Also, dude get a job. Simply put - there are plenty of people who work for a living at try and make it on tour at the same time. Why wouldn't he get a job at a golf course, driving range, pro shop.  Something golf related that would earn you some cash and allow you to play/practice for free. Ok I get the economy is crap and those jobs are still hard to come by - but I live in an area with maybe half of the golf courses in CA, that are only open in the winter - and I still see ads every summer for golf course help.

His buddy gave him a cell phone - great idea.  How is he supposed to charge it.

I think the idea of this show had a lot of potential - I just think they picked the wrong character.

One a side note - I think a great idea of a TV show on the golf channel would be something similar to the show "hoarding",  But basically focusing on people like myself who are addicted to golf - buying excessive clubs, and basically rotating their life around it.  Even though they will never be on tour or make a living playing golf.

• Upvote 2

In my Titleist Premium Stand Bag

909D3 8.5 VS Proto 70 X
909 f2 13.5 V2 75 x
G10 15 Degree Grafalloy Red X MP-32 3-pw X100 Vokey Spin 52, 56 SS Newport 2 Pro V1

I thought the show was at least an improvement over a lot of the other programming TGC puts on.  Decent storyline, but in the back of my mind I keep thinking the guy really is a scumbag.  Either way I'm interested to see how it plays out.  Even if he doesn't make the Champions tour, which is a virtual certainty, he may get his life back together.

yeah i watched it last night......it was just ok, butliek many others have said, there are gaps in the story

no family or friends to take him in while he got his feet back under him?

his friend that was on the show last night - wouldnt help him out? gives him a $500 phone and $250 bluetooth (as mentioned above, how does he charge it??)

buy him lunch, give hime some crap he doesnt need ane let him to continue to live on the streets???

IMO this guy is dealing w some mental / psychologocal (sp..sorry) issues

He is feeling sorry for himself and is maybe too embarassed to ask for help

as they said last night, he has a better chance at lightening striking him than making the champions tour

BUT............

that being said, it does make you think about how good we all do have it

it could all end tomorrow and you could have nothing

be glad for what you have - a roof over your head, money to feed your family and pay the bills and still have the opportunity to GOLF and spend money on this crazy a$$ sport

"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

• Administrator
Like others, I don't know how you go from being on top to instantly being homeless. It just doesn't happen. He had no money and no personal bank accounts? He just had a sugar momma?

He's 54. He ain't making the Champions Tour.

Get a job at a golf course. The guy basically paid you to clean clubs - why wouldn't he hire you at minimum wage? Wal-Mart would hire you. Go be a greeter or something.

His life was not "taken" from him. Maybe the lady is nuts and made stuff up, but see #1.

Again, he has no chance. to make the Tour. Or any Tour for that matter. Not at 54 and his lifestyle.

Why did that one swing - he took a good rip at it from what I could tell - only go 60 yards? If they edited it, why make him look like he took a full swing and hit the ball only 60 yards?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

Why did that one swing - he took a good rip at it from what I could tell - only go 60 yards? If they edited it, why make him look like he took a full swing and hit the ball only 60 yards?

That's just typical Golf Channel and their terrible editing.

Originally Posted by iSlice Left

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

That's just typical Golf Channel and their terrible editing.

Maybe his 60 yard stripe was the only shot worth showing??

To add to what everyone else has already said, I think the couple friends he has are pretty shallow or aren't "true" friends if they haven't offered to house him for a short period of time after he was apparantely "dropped off on the curb."  Like really?  My buddy is a pro at a HUGE GC here in Toronto.  If he was dropped off on the curb like this guy, myself or any of my 10 other friends in our circle would be there to help him out for some sort of period of time with a place to stay.  This guy either was a d*ck which reduced the amount of friends he has or has some sort of issue mentally that is preventing him from being smart enough to find a minimum wage job that'll keep his head above water.  Actually, doesn't palm springs have the largest amount of golf courses in a region than any other place in North America?  If so, this DUDE can't find a job (with his apparant golf resume) shagging balls or something??  What a joke.

I will however continue to watch because I do find it equally ridiculous and interesting all at the same time.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

• Administrator

Originally Posted by walk18

How is 54 too old for the Champions tour? Isn't the minimum age 50?

Meaning if he hasn't made it by now he's got no chance.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Lots of haters here. I hope none of you have to go through depression and hard times, but I would sure like to be there if you do. Never judge a man.....well you know.

The 1 thing that stands out in my mind after watching it TWICE was the look of utter disbelief on the ladies' face at the range when he asked for a small bucket.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

I don't think people are being haters, it's just that there are a lot of unanswered questions and holes in the story.

There are holes, but do you read the conclusions being drawn?

-Landon

Originally Posted by LBlack14

Quote:

I don't think people are being haters, it's just that there are a lot of unanswered questions and holes in the story.

The conclusions are being drawn because of how he / and the show have presented his earlier life.  They made two thing clear (or at least portrayed):

1 - He was successful (I highly doubt it if he's dropped off at a street corner and is automatically homeless)

2 - His ex-girlfriend was footing the bill for everything while he tried to make it on the tour.

It's not like his story is severely tragic where he had a family, lost them and went into some depression and his life spiraled out of control.  He was a "pro" golfer trying to make it.  Found a chick with lots of money, she probably had enough supporting him, got rid of him and now he's suddenly homeless.   I doubt it's a coincidence that there aren't a line up of people waiting to help him out.  There also comes a time in ones life where they need to evaluate and take a serious look at where they are and their surroundings.  If I all of a sudden became homeless I know 100% that there would be people to help me along the way.  Both Mark and the GC have shown that this was clearly not the case.

I don't blame people for making judgements because the show hasn't shown us anything different.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

I watched the first episode this morning to see whether or not I would watch it at all or possibly watch it with my son. I decided on the latter. My son is a good kid who has life eaaaaaaaaaaassssy. We are blessed by the fact that I have an excellent job and he lives what I would consider a fantastic life for a kid. He is also addicted to golf and pretty darn good at it. We play at the club I live at all the time and it is great sharing a hobby with him. I try to make both of my kids understand how much God has blessed us. We take them to feed the homeless, they work with us on fundraisers for different charities etc. I think by watching this show he can learn some valuable lessons like how fragile life is, not to take things for granted, work hard and work smart to get where you want, etc. I do believe that we have nowhere even close to the real story here, but I can tell you as well that I know someone who was living with a girl, an argument escalated, and the police were involved and he had to leave even though he did not have anywhere to go. Some friends and family took him in for periods at a time, but who knows if this guy had that opportunity. We did learn that his mother passed away, not sure about other family. Maybe it will be addressed in future episodes.

Lots of haters here. I hope none of you have to go through depression and hard times, but I would sure like to be there if you do. Never judge a man.....well you know.

The 1 thing that stands out in my mind after watching it TWICE was the look of utter disbelief on the ladies' face at the range when he asked for a small bucket.

Agreed on the shot about the lady at the range.

Otherwise, if he doesn't want to be judged....well, then don't go on TV.  If pointing out that the story being told is that he had a girlfriend paying for everything while he played golf then call me a hater.  If pointing out that he doesn't seem interested in getting a job then call me a hater.  If pointing out that the protrayal of him on TV has huge unanswered questions then call me a hater.

You really telling us not to judge then state you would like to be there if we fall on hard times?  Spare me.

For the dude in the story....it's quite simple.  Get a J O B adn quit whining about everyting done to you adn do for yourself.

In the bag:
Cleveland Launcher 9.5º Driver
Cleveland 4W 17º
Mizuno MX Hybrid 20ºMizuno MX-200's 4 - GCleveland G10 56º SWOddysey 2ball with line Putter

Quote:
The golfer who won tournaments all around the world and coached A-list celebrities found himself homeless and living in abandoned construction pipes in Palm Springs after a romantic relationship went awry.

The only way you end up homeless from a relationship going awry is if your relationship was with a crack pipe. That's really where they got "Pipe Dream" title from. C'mon. I've had PLENTY relationships go "awry" and the only time I slept outside was on camping trips.

I had a chick who bankrupted me and screwed my credit up. I stayed at my moms ONE NIGHT while I waited to move into another place. I hope it's good but I'm expecting B.S.

He didn't have a single friend or family member with a basement for a few weeks or something?

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

Originally Posted by Quinn07

Quote:

Quote:

The conclusions are being drawn because of how he / and the show have presented his earlier life.  They made two thing clear (or at least portrayed):

1 - He was successful (I highly doubt it if he's dropped off at a street corner and is automatically homeless)

2 - His ex-girlfriend was footing the bill for everything while he tried to make it on the tour.

It's not like his story is severely tragic where he had a family, lost them and went into some depression and his life spiraled out of control.  He was a "pro" golfer trying to make it.  Found a chick with lots of money, she probably had enough supporting him, got rid of him and now he's suddenly homeless.   I doubt it's a coincidence that there aren't a line up of people waiting to help him out.  There also comes a time in ones life where they need to evaluate and take a serious look at where they are and their surroundings.  If I all of a sudden became homeless I know 100% that there would be people to help me along the way.  Both Mark and the GC have shown that this was clearly not the case.

I don't blame people for making judgements because the show hasn't shown us anything different.

You may be surprised. I've been in the golf business since 1988 and from December 2008 until March 2010 was unemployed for 14ish months. I tried in and out of the golf biz and know many MANY friends and aquaintences (spell check sucks here amongst other things) in position to help me out job wise and NOT ONE even offered. Granted I never asked, but still......

-Landon

Note: This thread is 2658 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!