IGNORED

Pipe Dream Show

Quinn07
Note: This thread is 2631 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

The little respect I had for him was completely gone when he told his friend / caddie to leave him alone during his final round at Q school.  This is the same guy that volunteered to caddie for him, helped pay his entrance fee to Q school and drove him 6 hours to compete.  If you can treat someone that cold who is there for you in that way, then you are scum.  It also shows how miserable he is and make me question what reallyu did happen between him and his ex.

What is worse is that he didn't "tell" his friend-caddie-financial backer.. He wrote him a f__ing note.  That is about the least mature thing I've seen a 50+ year old man do.  Be a man and tell him in person.  Then when he decided to WD, whether it was hernia related or not, he expected that guy to take him to the hospital.

What a total prick.  Get a JOB, you loser.

This show is ridiculous. They should rename this show. This guy is a jerk off and has never been accountable for his life and seemed to be okay being homeless. Each show they show him getting some sort of new break fall his way. This is a manipulated show that is not reality.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

I think it's one of those deals where it already happened a year or 2 ago and they are just recreating it for tv. I've noticed a couple things that give me that impression... 1. That Hollywood shrink would never see him for free. 2. He had on a brand new pair of puma's in last episode which a homeless person couldn't afford. 3. For a guy that only carries a back pack he seems to have a ton of clothes. 4. Nobody get this amount of breaks to get their life in order in this short of time. 5. Either his hair is extremely greasy or he puts gel in it every day which is possible but I find it odd.

I'm not saying it's not real I think it's just past events being condensed into a story for television.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I cant agrue with that he did alot for him and to kick a professional caddie to the curb and blaming it in him was very wrong the caddie was im sure even paying for his dinner. In golf you have to take accountability for your poor play you cant play it on someone else thats just the easy way out. That is why he played so poor in the final round he didnt have his caddie with him. He has alot of problems to fix before he can think of trying to qualify for the champions tour and even with a clear head i dont think he is good enough but time will tell.

How many spots from Champions Q school are there?  I always thought 2-4 approx as opposed to 50 for the PGA (25 N-Wide, 25 Q school) The game we are seeing from this guy is not even close to the game one needs to make it onto the Champions Tour from Q School. It's a universe away.

But at the same time, it's t.v....it's fake...it's a t.v. show.

Top 5 are fully exempt

Low 12 have conditional status

Low 30 can qualify into each tourney

If he worked on his game significantly over the next year and got a new attitude, I think he could make top 30. I don't think his Q-school attempt this year is representative of his ability. The day he shot 77, he still left a lot out there (pretty good for someone who's homeless, without practice and injured (physically and mentally)). Not a lot of people on this thread realize that the California qualifier was at a very difficult course, those who made it to the next stage only needed to average 76 per round or better. Other regional qualifiers required average scores of 72-74.

Could he string together 4 round of 75 at Bayonet next year? I think so.

2010 top 30 required a total score of 2 under...

In the Bag

Cobra Amp Cell Pro Black Tie 7M3 Stiff  |  LS Hybrid Kurokage Stiff  |
 Nickent 4DX KBS Hybrid Stiff 3,4  | Cobra S3 Pro 5-PW Project X 5.5  |
 Scratch 53*, 59*  |  Odyssey Backstryke  |  Srixon Z Star

Well i guess he is now living with a guy that offered him a space on his property a good size and he is going to start teaching locals the fundamentals of golf. That honestly sounds more realistic to me then actually playing on tour.

i agree for not playing the guy can definetly swing the club but i think like you said he changes his attitude he doesnt have a shot. I mean alot of the successful teachers couldnt handle the pro level or didnt do w ell like Butch Harmon. So he could still be a good teacher.

• 2 weeks later...

Originally Posted by jmanbooyaa

This show is ridiculous. They should rename this show. This guy is a jerk off and has never been accountable for his life and seemed to be okay being homeless. Each show they show him getting some sort of new break fall his way. This is a manipulated show that is not reality.

Couldn't have summed it up any better!

Tonights episode has Mark balling out of of control dropping 5 g's on a new RV!!!!  The telling point that this show is scripted was when John was telling Mark about the former house owner wheels and deals RVs.  So we supposedly see Mark give him a call and set a time up.  They do some editing to make us feel its the very next day and RV dealer guy comes rolling in to the house.  It would have been believable if only for the fact that Mark and John were dressed in the same clothes, sitting in the same spots as the "PREVIOUS DAY" when Mark was flipping though the RV guide in the kitchen.

It's really too easy to spot how scripted reality shows are these days.

The show's name tells you everything you need to know.

Pipe Dream

Ever since we were little kids, Walt Disney has been telling us to "follow our dreams", and sadly, too many people have gone through life doing just that.  It sounds nice, but the reality is that dreaming about something is no substitute for the hard work necessary to turn dreams into reality.

At 54, Mark Burk is the poster-boy for this disconnect.  He 'dreams' of simply making it to the Champions Tour, as if that will solve all of his problems.  The problem with this is that he has allowed his 'dream' to simply consume his entire life, to the detriment of his ability to actually support himself.  Most people with far-fetched 'dreams' are able to at least remain gainfully employed while they pursue - or at least pretend to pursue - their 'dreams'.  Burk can't - or won't - take any responsibility for his situation.

Perhaps he was railroaded by the legal system.  I had a friend in college who was almost indicted for raping a girl, who it turned out was simply looking for an excuse for why she was flunking out of school.  There was no physical evidence, and the case was tossed out by the grand jury, but not until his money for college had been plowed into legal fees to defend himself against a completely baseless charge.  However, based on how I've seen him treat his caddie/financier, I have my doubts.

All things considered, I'd rather watch Rush Limbaugh actually work at becoming a better golfer than watch Mark Burk 'dream' about making it onto the Champions Tour.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by bwdial

The show's name tells you everything you need to know.

Pipe Dream

Ever since we were little kids, Walt Disney has been telling us to "follow our dreams", and sadly, too many people have gone through life doing just that.  It sounds nice, but the reality is that dreaming about something is no substitute for the hard work necessary to turn dreams into reality.

At 54, Mark Burk is the poster-boy for this disconnect.  He 'dreams' of simply making it to the Champions Tour, as if that will solve all of his problems.  The problem with this is that he has allowed his 'dream' to simply consume his entire life, to the detriment of his ability to actually support himself.  Most people with far-fetched 'dreams' are able to at least remain gainfully employed while they pursue - or at least pretend to pursue - their 'dreams'.  Burk can't - or won't - take any responsibility for his situation.

Perhaps he was railroaded by the legal system.  I had a friend in college who was almost indicted for raping a girl, who it turned out was simply looking for an excuse for why she was flunking out of school.  There was no physical evidence, and the case was tossed out by the grand jury, but not until his money for college had been plowed into legal fees to defend himself against a completely baseless charge.  However, based on how I've seen him treat his caddie/financier, I have my doubts.

All things considered, I'd rather watch Rush Limbaugh actually work at becoming a better golfer than watch Mark Burk 'dream' about making it onto the Champions Tour.

Very true... not to get off subject but I had a buddy in college almost get nailed for rape. Long story short last night of our freshman year we all go out he meets a girl they go back to his room. Next morning she leaves gets back to her room and her parents were waiting for her I guess they must have really pressured her so she said she was raped. Girl presses charges my buddy goes to a lawyer who says did you wear protection he said yes the lawyer told him to say he never touched her. It never even went to court after the rape kit came back negative.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

For the first few episodes I was really interested in it because I thought it would be a good developmental story.  When he went to Q school I completely lost all respect for this guy.  Throwing clubs and when asked about saying, "It happens, WTF are you gonna do about it" did it for me.  I actually hope he doesn't make it because he has been handed shit all his life and doesn't know how to do anything for himself.  Burk is a straight up tool!

taylormade.gifR11S 9* Driver Aldila RIP Phenom 60 R Flex

taylormade.gifRBZ 3W 15* Matrix Ozik XCon-5 R Flex
taylormade.gif'11 Rescue Hybrids 3 (18*), 4 (21*) Aldila RIP 65 HB R Flex
taylormade.gifR11 5-PW KBS Steel R Flex | taylormade.gifTP XFT 52* 56* 60* KBS Steel

cameron.gif California Coronado 35" | ogio.gif Grom Black Plaid Bag |  Penta TP

the one thing he is great at ..is riding that damn bike with his golf bag on!!!!   If it were me that bag would hit a wheel and I would be ass over tincups...ride on Mark!!

Driver Wishon 919THI 4 Wood Pure Fit w Accuflex

Ping Rapture hybrid Irons Wishon 770 CFE with Apollo Humps regular Gripmaster rubber grips 4-aw Wedges Ping MB 56 Ping Eye 2 Lob &nbsp ;Mentor Quad putter gripmaster gator grip

Bantam chipper leather grip

I'm not sure his status right now (ie. legal situation, golf status, etc), but during the taping of the show you would think he would try and tone down his temper tantrumps.  It doesn't bode well for his court case (being it was for physical abuse) nor for possible golf sponsorship opportunities down the road.

I have noticed that his "gear" from clubs to apparel to hats, appear newer and nicer each episode.

Regarding the guy who put up the $5k that owns the purse company.  Was he a former tour player as well? or just a friend from Mark's past?

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

Agree with up above, this show is just too manipulated. Especially when the cameras are already staged in a building or office where he is headed so you can see him come in. Plus the guy just seems like a tool.

Wonder if anyone would watch my show if I had a camera follow me everywhere I went, every day, all day, and I staged little dramatic episodes now and then to keep it half-way interesting?  They could even watch me on the golf course shooting 80 and talk about how I dream to one day play on tour.  LOL !!!!!!!  Then watch me go to sleep....then watch me and my wife have a little tiff...then make up....then get up the next day....

Anyone, doing ANYTHING can be a star now days.  I can just hear that deep-voiced narrator now!!!!..... "Meet Jay....a common working man.  But this working man has a dream...and not just any dream...but a dream to play GOLF!!!!!!!

pppppff!!!!

hahahahahahahahahhahaha    sorry.

I haven't seen an episode yet but was looking forward to the marathon on saturday. now, I don't know if I want to watch it since everyone seems to hate the guy and the show. don't want to waste my saturday.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

The guy is a jerk, that's for sure.  The only reason that I watch it is because it's local... in fact, the course he was playing the Pepsi Tour Event at (Terra Lago) is my home course.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2631 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!