IGNORED

Does doing 30 pushups a day impact your upper body strength a lot?

lefty18
Note: This thread is 3472 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Gotta agree, push-ups are great because the simple exercise you do (since you can do it on your floor in front of the TV without making a big fuss) is better than the elaborate training regimen you don't get around to doing.

I would say to directly answer the OP, it probably won't impact your upper body strength "a lot" in an absolute sense, although if you find doing 30 push-ups to be difficult now, then it might make a big difference for you.  I'd expect that after a couple weeks, 30 push-ups is going to seem like a warm-up.  It's small enough that you're not going to hurt yourself doing it every day.  Nothing wrong with that.

I'd also suggest, while you're at it, adding a similar number of crunches to the daily workout.  Depending on your fitness level, you should be able to reach a point where you can do push-ups and crunches at that level in 15 minutes or so.  For both push-ups and crunches, you should either read around or, better, talk to someone who's experienced just to get the technique right.  They're both easy, but like was said above, many people use poor form that can be hard on your back.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Originally Posted by CassinoNorth

Do the 100 pushup challenge if anything

http://hundredpushups.com/

this is probably the best idea for "push ups"

But as others have stated. Forearms, Lats, Legs and Core are probably 100x more important.

2010 Victory Red Staff Bag or Nike 2011 Performance Stand bag
Driver: Titleist 910 D3 with Diamana Whiteboard 83X (44")
3 Wood: SQ2 15° w/ Diamana Blueboard 83X (43")
5 Wood: SQ2 19° w/ Diamana Redboard 83X (42")
Irons + Wedges Nike Victory Red Pros 3-PW 52 56

Do some pushups or whatever.  If my workouts only consisted of 30 pushups a day, man, what an easy life.  I could have done twice that many in the time it took me to write this.  It's not going to build swing speed, but it will help your arms hang in balance for your back workouts.  You need the front side of your body to be strong if the back side is strong.  The back side is used more in the golf swing.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

If you want to work out, do the entire body.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Push-ups are great at building the muscles of your chest, arms, front deltoids and back. And to some extent the abs.

Different variations of the classic push-up can place more of a focus on certain muscle groups. Performing push-ups with your hands closer together places more emphasis on your triceps. Performing push-ups with your feet elevated on a bench will place more emphasis on your core muscles for stabilization.

Quite possibly the easiest and best single exercise you can do.  There is a reason athletes, military, and law enforcement have been doing them forever.  I suggest three sets each time you work out.  Start at 10, move to 12 a week later, etc, etc.  I do three sets of 35 each day.  Pretty week, considering I used to pump out 100 in two minutes with minimal effort.  But at 36, I'm getting old and lazy.

CARBITE Putter

There great because if you maintain your form your basically doing a plank as well, so your working out your core to.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

What I haven't read about yet is doing one-armed swings with your left arm only (a Johnny Miller thing), assuming you're right handed. One respondent mentioned front-back balance, but right-left balance is important, too.

Gary Player mentioned on a Golf Channel Academy show a few years ago that forearms, abs, and legs are the most important muscles for a golfer.

Core is important, Quads, Hamstrings, Gluts, Lower Back, Abs, and Lats are all bit players in the golf swing. Forearms are good because they help in grip pressure and ability to get through heavy rough.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 3 years later...

Definately but you need to push yourself. at least 60 but also sit ups, squats and related forms of exercise and if possible stay away from weights. You dont need to pay for the gym yet it gives better results. You still retain flexibility, speed and endureance. It increases blood circulation and mental strength and helps you sleep

I believe it all starts with the core. Push ups are great for building strength, but the core is where it's at. I do 60 seconds each side or side planks where I lay on my side push up with an extended arm and hold it there for 60 seconds...

"Innovative Golf Grip device can take your Game to the Next Level"

Authorized Distributor of BanditGrip - www.BanditGrip.com

GET A GRIP @ www.BANDITGRIP.COM

Definately but you need to push yourself. at least 60 but also sit ups, squats and related forms of exercise and if possible stay away from weights. You dont need to pay for the gym yet it gives better results. You still retain flexibility, speed and endureance. It increases blood circulation and mental strength and helps you sleep

Doing pushups is lifting weights, your own weight.  Lifting weights increases flexibility:

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20100604/resistance-training-improves-flexibility-too

OP - if you are doing nothing, and you think you'd like to start with 30 pushups a day then

GO FOR IT

(it is a start, it is 'enough', it is the right exercise for now if that's what you are willing or able to do)

if you can do more or mix it up later?  go for it

you might like the feel and the results and start doing all that other stuff too at some point

Whatever it takes for you to commit to that first step.............

Bill - 

Muscle confusion is a total myth, Its like a plecibo, it keeps things fresh and non boring, keeps you working at your max. Your muscles will break down and repaire them selves under stress no matter what. But they do get use to weight, so you got to increase weights. Just like the spot reduction is a myth, you can't loose fat in one specific area, the body uses fat uniformily over the body. People hit the wall because they don't adjust there weights, there nutrition, or don't rest properly.

Spot on.

Muscle confusion is garbage...want your muscles to keep growing, the weight needs to keep growing. That's it.

And spot reduction...ugh...

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Muscle confusion is garbage...

I agree with this.  a contraction is a contraction.

P90X is a good program - super setting with the goals to consistently push your personal bests based on physical bio feedback is always a good method for lifting.   (and then mix in a variety of other types of workouts)

Changing up the exercises to keep me engaged in the process is just a good idea

it doesn't need some silly name to make it more palatable.

Trying to sell me a bunch of silly supplements is off putting too.

but the basic workout philosophy is a winner once you strip the silly marketing stuff away

spot reduction is possible......with surgery - it's invasive, unhealthy and temporary....but possible

Bill - 

I did a workout for quite a while that was only sit ups (and quite simple).

I did the workout every other day and did only one set but added one sit up every time and wrote it down. Started out with 25.

When I finally stopped that routine (for some reason) I was up to 789 sit ups. Still have a pad I kept track of them on. ;-)

I've thought about using that routine again and maybe adding push ups this time. I think I would have to slightly adjust the rate of increase to one added sit up per workout and one added push up per every other workout because I don't that increases in my push up capability could keep pace with my increases in sit up capability.

I agree with this.  a contraction is a contraction.

P90X is a good program - super setting with the goals to consistently push your personal bests based on physical bio feedback is always a good method for lifting.   (and then mix in a variety of other types of workouts)

Changing up the exercises to keep me engaged in the process is just a good idea

it doesn't need some silly name to make it more palatable.

Trying to sell me a bunch of silly supplements is off putting too.

Yep. Only supplement I use is protein powder. You don't need anything else. You can get absolutely shredded with a good diet and exercise program.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Note: This thread is 3472 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!