IGNORED

Question for low handicappers who play/played with high handicappers

Tugglife2
Note: This thread is 4838 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Number one is play fast...people often apologize for not playing well...don't apologize, just hit the ball already.  I prefer to play with people, as long as they know the etiquette of ready golf.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Fast play? I thought golf was played at pace that is right for you. Not all solid players play fast do they?

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

When I say "fast play"....I mean really....."ready golf".  Don't be talking on the cell when its your turn, don't spend 10 minutes looking for a ball you found on the last hole after you just hit it back into the woods,  don't be sitting in the cart drinking a beer when I just finished my shot and its your turn,  don't stand in the middle of the green and look back down the fairway pointing to all your strokes as you count as people are waiting to hit to the green, etc.  Be READY to play, then feel free to take your time.  I don't care if you take 5 practice swings as long as you are ready to do that when its your turn.  And this goes for ALL golfers no matter what the hcp.

I don't care what peoples hcp are when we are playing......just be ready.  I play all the time with people who easily shoot a 10 on a few holes in each 18.....thats 8 strokes to my 2 before we reach the green.

Driver Callaway Diablo Edge --- Custom Sonartec 3, 5 and 7 woods made +1" stiff shafts --- Irons 5-L Ping G10 +1" 4.5* upright reg shafts --- ---Putter Tiger Shark

It drives me crazy to play with high handicappers... I know I may sound like a jerk but I am a fast player and when the guy is hitting the ball sideways  it tends to get me out of my game. However, if they are my friends and we are going to just go play and drink beer then I will have fun with it...

Thanks for that explanation 596. That makes perfect sense. That would drive me nuts and I am good for a few bad holes per round. Also I choose not to play certain courses at certain time because I know my golf limitations and I would never want to ruin another golfers day. BUT that goes for the ahole who thinks he is in a tourny on a public course that is actually a beginner course and wants some kind of special treatment because they are a decent player. Can't stand those types. We all start somewhere and as long as I am outside playing golf and having fun and NOT holding up play than let it go.

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

Not gonna lie, playing tree-lined/wooded courses with high handicappers can kind of suck.  I don't want to have to look for golf balls and/or wait on every hole.  Almost anything else (e.g. taking a shot or two more per hole) is fine.

Jman, I don't think you should limit yourself from playing certain courses at certain times because of your handicap. Statistically they are way more 18 and up handicappers than singles and as long as you're good company, playing at a good pace and have fun you wouldn't ruin anyone's day.

I'm one summer away from being a single handicap and I usually play with my brother who's a 8.5. We've been matched up with high-handicappers a bunch of times and as long as they play at a good pace and are good sports (which works both ways) about everything then it's fine.

What I hate is people who lose a ball every other hole and take wayyyyy too long looking for their ball. What's funny to me is that a lot of high handicappers I've played with have clubs that are obviously not  meant for them and/or play Pro V1's...I don't understand why players who lose more than 5 balls in a typical round are playing such expensive golf balls. I understand it's the one of the best balls out there, but come on man! Play some cheaper balls and then you wouldn't feel bad spending less time looking for it Sorry, just my ranting because I can't afford to play Pro V1's all the time.

titleist.gif 909D2 9.5* titleist.gif 910F 13.5* 
titleist.gif 909H 17* titleist.gif AP2 710 3, 5-PW
vokey.gif Spin Milled 52*08| 56*11 | 60*07
taylormade.gif Rossa Classic Imola 8 AGSI

Hey Red, it really comes down to comfort for me. I agree with the comments you made. I like the golf ball one, it is kind of silly for someone to play an expensive ball if they can't keep it in play or in sight. At this stage I am going out for a round once a week here in NY so I can build a comfort level for the season. I know my limitations and really like to play.

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

Totally agree with most of what has been said. Attitude is #1 factor for me, cussing yourself out after bad shots gets old and awkward if you are playing a decent round. Be a sport about it, keep up and have fun.

The two guys I play the most with are both 0 index. Another friend of ours that will frequently play with us can't break 120. He has hit some shots that have had us all cracking up. Despite his lack of ability he doesn't hold up the pace of play. Is a funny person as it is so he is fun to be around anyway. So as long as you respect the course, the game, and maintain a good pace of play I could care less what your handicap is.

:cobra: Amp Driver 10.5*(R)
:tmade: Burner 3W 15*(R)
:tmade: Burner 2.0 Rescue 3-4
:titleist: 714 AP1 Irons 5-pw, gw(Steel XP95 R300)
:callaway: MD3 Wedges 56, 60
:nickent:Omen Long Putter(un-anchored)

I think the key is speed of play rather than handicap index.  My two playing partners are significantly better players than me, although I am improving.  When we started to play together I was very self conscious about playing slower - especially when I was in the trees!!   Helped to straighten out my driver.  Thanks to the stack and tilt!

I play with a lot of different people some a lot better than me and some not.  But I think there are few rules to enjoying the experience regardless of handicap differences.

1) keep up with the group in front of you or as a minimum be ready to play when it is your turn

2) If you are playing different tees let the longer tee player go first

3) Don't hit out of turn (except 2 above) unless the group has decided to play "ready golf"

4) Don't get in front of players hitting (even if playing ready golf)

5) No comments on others swings or shot results unless you're asked (even then caution is advised)

6) Be quite & still when others are preparing to hit their shot

7) Be a good citizen, help look for other player's balls, repair your divots, fix your ball marks, and rake traps after use

8) Don't be a complainer about conditions or your own shots and don't use language that is inappropriate for the group you're with (if you don't know what is appropriate keep it clean)

9) Last but not least don't talk Politics or Religion unless you know the other players very well

Since I regularly play with several golfers that are significantly better than I am and continue to get invited back I think the above guide lines work.

Butch

Good set of rules. #2 is a good one never payed attention to that one. Not sure if I abide by that one. Will have to remember to do so since I hit from the white tees or for other courses the middle tees.

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

I also am not a low HCI by any means but last year and the beginning of this year I was a lot worse than I am today. I played with a lot of low and high HCI guys these past 16 months. Only one person showed any annoyance at my ability and performance.  He was not the lowest scorer at all. This guy was annoyed by where I stood on the green while he was putting. Not that I was in his line or left a shadow in his line. No, he would get upset if I stood within 20 feet of him???  He even asked my Son in Law what was wrong with me after I took more than one practice swing before a drive.  The Low HCI guys were appreciative that I acknowledged their skill by writing off lost balls and not holding up the round. Likewise having an extra ball in my pocket at all times in case I needed a provisional was appreciated by them.

I noticed the low HCI guys were never in a hurry either. They were very thrifty in motions, not taking a lot of practice swings or getting out of their cart until it was their turn to hit. Not riding off to their next shot even though I was on my third and they hadn't reached their drive.

The low HCI guys were all middle age or older, I haven't played with any young low HCI guys so that might make a difference.  But what I think all high HCI players should do when paired with a Low HCI player is take the time on the first two or three holes and shut up and observe the actions of the others. After that if you can emulate their style of comments, small talk, level of seriousness, and most of all their speed, you shouldn't have any problems and still be able to enjoy the round. You may not have a good score but you can learn a few things from how they approach the challenges of each hole.

I like ghalfaire's rules and I agree they should be followed regardless of who you play with cause sometimes you are the low HCI guy in the group and others are watching you.

It ain't bragging if you can do it.

Taylor Made Burner '09 8.5* UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno F-60 3 wood UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno MP-68 3-PW  S300, Bobby Jones Wedges S and L, Nike Ignite 001, Leupold GX-II

Originally Posted by Tugglife2

Do any of the single digit handicappers out there play with high handicappers?  I'm talking about playing with guys that cannot break 100 more than once in a blue moon.  If you do play with these types, do you get frustrated playing with them and does it effect your game?  I ask because I've played with an old buddy of mine who played collegiate golf at Houston and while he was a good sport about it, I kept getting the feeling that he was very frustrated having to play with me.

I'm sure you'd rather play with good golfers on your level but do you go out of your way to avoid playing with us hackers?

I think, after reading the posts here the answers are, yes, yes and yes. At least for some.

It ain't bragging if you can do it.

Taylor Made Burner '09 8.5* UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno F-60 3 wood UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno MP-68 3-PW  S300, Bobby Jones Wedges S and L, Nike Ignite 001, Leupold GX-II

Unless someone is an absolute a-hole, anybody should be able to play with anyone provided that one plays quickly and has a pleasant, reasonable attitude. Basic golf etiquitte helps, too...but not a necessity. I play a muni by my house a lot and play with a lot of hackers, kids, etc. If they play pleasant and have a good atitude, it's cool.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Originally Posted by leo3

I would rather play with someone shooting 100 who is good company for the round, than a scratch player with an attitude that he's Gods gift to the golf world.

exactly - GREAT POINT!

this game is more about having fun than scoring well

"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Originally Posted by Tugglife2

I'm sure you'd rather play with good golfers on your level but do you go out of your way to avoid playing with us hackers?

Usually go out of my way to avoid them. Too many stupid questions from them which should directed to their teaching professional.

Note: This thread is 4838 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!