IGNORED

"Swing Machine Golf" by Paul Wilson

iacas
Note: This thread is 913 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by golfdu

I love Swing Machine Golf! You're right about the casting, if you combine Swing Machine Golf with just 2 aids, such as the Tour Striker Pro and the Pure Ball Striker, it's quite possible to hit every fairways and greens.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong as there is no way Paul would advocate casting in the golf swing. I'm probably lifting at impact or not driving my hips forward enough on the downswing...

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Hey guys,

I've been using Paul's method for 3 months now and all I can say is "it works". As long as I have loose wrists, powerless arms and start the swing like he says, it works. Every time I feel tension creep in and forget to start the swing like he says - something bad comes back. It's gotten to the point where all of my bad shot wasting is on pitching and putting. I've made so many good shots using his method that I don't feel like looking any further. I have no idea if it's a "pro style" swing, but it is an enjoyable swing that is easy to do and produces great results.

It's just a great feeling to be able to nail it down the fairway straight compared to my old way of hitting. I still make bad shots now and then, but I know exactly that it was because of a bad habit and I can tell why.

Let me put it this way: I've made way more good shots than bad and I am enjoying driving the ball more than ever.

Now I have to deal with being right next to the green and then wasting all my shots pitching too far and putting too short. :-(

• Like 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Is your handicap out of date? It says 24.

Originally Posted by 808hacker

Hey guys,

I've been using Paul's method for 3 months now and all I can say is "it works".

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong as there is no way Paul would advocate casting in the golf swing. I'm probably lifting at impact or not driving my hips forward enough on the downswing...

Here's a solution: In his book, if you're a righty, in the downswing, you should always uncoil your hips around your left leg, which is a pivot (or axis). Don't slide, just simply rotate you hips. With powerless arms, it should feel like you're lagging like Sergio with freely hinging wrists. For righties, to prevent casting in downswing, feel like your right wrist is bending in the downswing (like Sergio) instead of cupping (that's casting). But don't do it consciously, just feel it unconsciously. I hope that helps.

Frankie

Here's a solution: In his book, if you're a righty, in the downswing, you should always uncoil your hips around your left leg, which is a pivot (or axis). Don't slide, just simply rotate you hips. With powerless arms, it should feel like you're lagging like Sergio with freely hinging wrists. For righties, to prevent casting in downswing, feel like your right wrist is bending in the downswing (like Sergio) instead of cupping (that's casting). But don't do it consciously, just feel it unconsciously. I hope that helps.

Thanks! I realised that what I bolded above was what I was doing wrong. I was hanging back too much and starting down with my arms.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Thanks! I realised that what I bolded above was what I was doing wrong. I was hanging back too much and starting down with my arms.

Wait, you're a pro? Why would you take advice from a 1.6? :-D Beware, though, you might be experiencing pulls if you rotate your hips too fast, which leads to spinning out. Remember, we will never be 100% perfect like the Iron Byron because we have two axises (our legs) instead of one, which means we will swing in a slight oval (due to weight shift) instead of a perfect circle like Iron Byron. You should thank Paul Wilson, not me, I was just the one to remind you of the stuff you might've miss (or forgotten) reading or watching his book and DVD's. Basically I know 99.9% of his method, too bad I don't practice it enough to ingrain it :-P

Frankie

Wait, you're a pro? Why would you take advice from a 1.6?

Listening to too much advice is one of my weaknesses... ;-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfdu View Post

Beware, though, you might be experiencing pulls if you rotate your hips too fast, which leads to spinning out.

Pulls? Spinning out leads to balls to the right.

Listening to too much advice is one of my weaknesses... ;-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfdu View Post

Beware, though, you might be experiencing pulls if you rotate your hips too fast, which leads to spinning out.

Pulls? Spinning out leads to balls to the right.

Whoops, my bad, I guess that was the .1% that I forgot ;-) It's better to combine the book and the DVD's because a combination of technical (book) and visual (DVD's) leads to proper learning and ingraining of the method. If you really want to ingrain it forever, practice 630 reps a day for 2 days on each part of the book (there is 10 parts of the swing method in the book) and you got yourself a perfect golf swing (as humanly possible :-D )!

Frankie

Whoops, my bad, I guess that was the .1% that I forgot It's better to combine the book and the DVD's because a combination of technical (book) and visual (DVD's) leads to proper learning and ingraining of the method. If you really want to ingrain it forever, practice 630 reps a day for 2 days on each part of the book (there is 10 parts of the swing method in the book) and you got yourself a perfect golf swing (as humanly possible )!

I have both the book and the DVDs but haven't reviewed the material in ages. I usually read the book when I'm hitting the ball poorly (short) and always immediately start hitting the ball more solidly, as I realise I am starting down with my arms and not with my hips.

I have both the book and the DVDs but haven't reviewed the material in ages. I usually read the book when I'm hitting the ball poorly (short) and always immediately start hitting the ball more solidly, as I realise I am starting down with my arms and not with my hips.

It's a very underrated method, the powerless arms method. But Paul Wilson came up with the perfect swing for it using Iron Byron. In fact, I'm doing my training of ingraining it tomorrow (it's gonna take 20 days based on the 630 reps for 2 days on each part of the book) I need dedication, though because according to my calculations, if you do 1 rep each 15 seconds, it's going to take 2.6 hours to complete 630 reps :-O If I can complete the training, my high school team's gonna be jealous of my swing! (I'm 15, not bad for getting a 1.6 at my age :-D )

Frankie

I love the Swing Machine Golf method, mainly because whenever I searched the web for answers to my particular swing issues, I often found myself discovering another tip by Paul Wilson. Those tips really helped me break through to another level.

Titleist 910D2 8.5° Diamana 'ahina 80 S
Titleist 909F3 3W 13° Diamana D83 S, Titleist 910f 5W 19° Fubuki Ax 80X
Taylormade RAC MB TP 3-PW Irons DG S300, Callaway Jaws 54° and 60°
Titleist Futura putter, Taylormade TP5 balls

It's a very underrated method, the powerless arms method. But Paul Wilson came up with the perfect swing for it using Iron Byron. In fact, I'm doing my training of ingraining it tomorrow (it's gonna take 20 days based on the 630 reps for 2 days on each part of the book) I need dedication, though because according to my calculations, if you do 1 rep each 15 seconds, it's going to take 2.6 hours to complete 630 reps If I can complete the training, my high school team's gonna be jealous of my swing! (I'm 15, not bad for getting a 1.6 at my age )

1.6 is excellent for a 15 year old! Well done! One of my students is 14 years old and off 3.5 and he's one of the best in the country (Spain). I think the best is off 1.4 or something. He should get down to scratch over the next year or so because he's capable of shooting in the 60s, unfortunately he's a bit of a head case. He makes too many dumb mistakes on the course. He also doesn't have your dedication to practice either.

Although there are a lot of things I do not agree with or understand re: Swing Machine Golf, if you keep it simple (backswing = shoulder turn, downswing = rotate hips + loose arms) it's a great method to get you back on track.

Good luck with your practice!

>s your handicap out of date? It says 24.

It might be, but I am still crappy. My drives and approach shots are much better since I have used Paul's method. I only play recreational golf. I needed a swing that would keep me in bounds and allow me the chance to enjoy the course. This swing gives me that. My problems are with pitching and putting and I accept that. In reality all I really do is play with my son and play in Pro Am tournaments. Not much more.

I was trying a swing which I won't name right now and I got golfer's elbow and a host of other problems. Only when I really took Paul's swing seriously did all of these problems go away. I'm not a pro so right now, almost everything Paul says makes sense to me.

The #1 thing I don't understand re: the swingmachinegolf is that he believes in rotating the hip without much of a slide - but there's a lot of tips online that promote a slide first - sometimes the slide looks pretty big.

SMG completely changed my outlook on golf.

I've been using a modified version since the beginning of the summer, and am now able to hit the ball straight for the first time.

Paul's genius is his step by logical step breakdown of the golf swing.  I have purchased and tried several systems and this is the first one where I felt confident that I was doing what the instructions indicated - at least in my backyard.  Things were a little different when I was trying to hit the ball  - but I don't feel like that's a fault of his system.

One thing that gets overlooked by a lot of you good golfers is that the average guy is just not coordinated enough to develop a really good golf swing.

>s your handicap out of date? It says 24.

It might be, but I am still crappy. My drives and approach shots are much better since I have used Paul's method. I only play recreational golf. I needed a swing that would keep me in bounds and allow me the chance to enjoy the course. This swing gives me that. My problems are with pitching and putting and I accept that. In reality all I really do is play with my son and play in Pro Am tournaments. Not much more.

I was trying a swing which I won't name right now and I got golfer's elbow and a host of other problems. Only when I really took Paul's swing seriously did all of these problems go away. I'm not a pro so right now, almost everything Paul says makes sense to me.

The #1 thing I don't understand re: the swingmachinegolf is that he believes in rotating the hip without much of a slide - but there's a lot of tips online that promote a slide first - sometimes the slide looks pretty big.

[quote name="The_Pharaoh" url="/forum/thread/42960/swing-machine-golf-by-paul-wilson/18#post_633443"]

1.6 is excellent for a 15 year old! Well done! One of my students is 14 years old and off 3.5 and he's one of the best in the country (Spain). I think the best is off 1.4 or something. He should get down to scratch over the next year or so because he's capable of shooting in the 60s, unfortunately he's a bit of a head case. He makes too many dumb mistakes on the course. He also doesn't have your dedication to practice either.

Although there are a lot of things I do not agree with or understand re: Swing Machine Golf, if you keep it simple (backswing = shoulder turn, downswing = rotate hips + loose arms) it's a great method to get you back on track.

Good luck with your practice!

[/quote] Yesterday I just found a tip from Paul Wilson that might save my sanity from 630 reps everyday! http://swingmachineblog.com/how-long-should-it-take-to-change-your-golf-swing.html I remember last year I read this tip and I was doing the shaft parallel to ear finish because I couldn't do it. I did it 11 in a row perfectly and I didn't lose the habit for a year. I totally forgot about the tip!

Frankie

Originally Posted by 808hacker

This works perfectly for me as I tend to get ahead of the ball hitting pulls and shots off the top/toe of the club. I need to feel that I am keeping behind the ball and turning my hips out of the way as quickly as possible on the downswing. I am sure I am sliding slightly, but it is just a feeling. If you simply turn your hips to initiate the downswing you'll end up with all your weight on the outside of your target foot which is where you want it.

I think his method is rather too simple, I always use http://www.perfectgolfswingreview.com to complete the complexity of his method. But instead of the new backswing chapter on the website, I follow the original backswing chapter (link is included in the new backswing chapter) because it matches with the Swing Machine Golf method. I wrote some new stuff from the website in his book so I don't forget about the new information. The_Pharoah, did you ever get problems catching it rather thin when you follow Paul Wilson's set-up (should look at nothing, not even feet, when glancing down)? I did, and I fixed it with that website. It completes all of his method except for the new chapters on his website.

Frankie

The_Pharoah, did you ever get problems catching it rather thin when you follow Paul Wilson's set-up (should look at nothing, not even feet, when glancing down)?

Well...to say I never caught the ball thin now and again would be lying, however I always put it down to my arms not being loose enough. To be honest, I never followed Paul's method 100% I just incorporated the bits I liked. I never changed my grip or set-up. In a nutshell, I tried to copy his backswing and downswing while eliminating my arms from the swing.

Note: This thread is 913 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!