IGNORED

When is it too cold to golf?

buckeyeben14
Note: This thread is 2296 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

49 minutes ago, Dave Saari said:

I played yesterday and the high was 42 F, but the sun was shining and there was no wind. It felt very nice. I've played in temperatures close to freezing, but that's not much fun. Upper 30's is OK as long as there isn't much wind. Wind is the killer on cold days.

When you live in the Northland, you can't be too picky about temperatures.

Yea, playable golf weather isn't just about air tempterature. Sunny and 40s with no wind is more comfortable than cloudy and 50s with a stiff breeze.

I hate that damp cold feeling where you feel like you need to sit in front of a fire just to warm up.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll play in crappy weather early or late in the year. This month I played in the windy, cold rain a couple of times. When I have time off from work or chores, I don't like to spend it just thinking about golf.

I need to find a contingency hobby.... that, or a support group.

Jon

3 hours ago, billchao said:

Yea, playable golf weather isn't just about air tempterature. Sunny and 40s with no wind is more comfortable than cloudy and 50s with a stiff breeze.

I hate that damp cold feeling where you feel like you need to sit in front of a fire just to warm up.

I've noticed that the older I get, the warmer I need it to be! Otherwise, I just won't bother!

In the day we'd play as long as the course was open and not snow covered, even though the water hazards might be frozen over. Sometimes that would prove to be an advantage!

But how good does a fire feel unless you've been frozen by the cold and damp! Nothing like dry heat on old bones.

Edited by Buckeyebowman

Its too cold for golf when its snowing. Other than that bring it on!.

Its perfect here at the moment, blue skies but chilly, and im stuck inside all day.

I play more in the winter because i find many golfers are fair weather golfers. So if its cold out they stay in. Means quieter courses. Quieter courses = quicker rounds and quicker rounds = more golf. Its a win win.

Wrap up warm and enjoy it.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

40 degrees with the wind blowing is much worse than a calm 35. I have a long sleeve T, a warm shirt and a vest. If I cant stay warm with that then I don't play. I guess 35 and no wind is about it.

1 hour ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

40 degrees with the wind blowing is much worse than a calm 35. I have a long sleeve T, a warm shirt and a vest. If I cant stay warm with that then I don't play. I guess 35 and no wind is about it.

I saw a couple guys yesterday who were so bundled up with layers I don't know how they could swing, or hear. But to each his/her own...

I will not play if it below 50F under normal conditions and 55F if there is wind.  My back objects to it and I do not like swinging restricted by even the best thermal unders.  I have gone to heated enclosed ranges but the balls are kept outside and with my 85MPH driver swing speed I have shattered golf balls. I have never played in cold enough conditions to offer any advice regarding the effect of severe cold on equipment. 

13 hours ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

This is very true! We played Fowler's Mill, an incredible Pete Dye layout, earlier this year on a breezy, on and off drizzly day earlier this year. It was in the low 50's. Given our druthers we ordinarily would not have played, but we booked  GolfNow super saver so the round was already paid for! That breeze made all the difference!

In fact, just as we finished the front 9 a couple of squalls moved through, and we hid out on the veranda! No way were we going out in that! Good thing too. About halfway through the back, the Sun came out and the wind died. It was still in the low 50's, but it was delightful in comparison.

When I was younger if the course was open I would play. These days it there is no wind and at least some sunshine I will go out in the high 30's. If there is wind over 8-10mph I won't go out unless it is close to 50*. 

The Swedes say, "There is no bad golf weather, only bad golf clothes." The European Tour plays in what I would think are pretty brutal conditions that I personally am too old for. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

8 hours ago, TRACON said:

It’s never too cold to golf.  Never. 

says a guy that hasn't experienced a real winter....:whistle:    We have experienced wind chills around -20º and white out conditions.   That is unusual but it does happen..  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

IF it's 60*F, or 50*F and sunny, I will play. Otherwise no.

Someone asked me what kind of cold weather gear I have for golf - I said none. I have a Champions undershell which I can cover with a wool shirt (non-golf) and a windshirt, but that's all.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

On a grey overcast February late afternoon in 1967, my high school golf team had it's normal 2x/week after school 9-hole practice round at Ash Brook Golf Course in Scotch Plains, NJ. It was 29 degrees and the wind was howling. By the 9th hole, a 420 yard par 4, my hands and feet were frozen and I couldn't feel my face. Against a 25 mph wind I unleashed the longest drive that to this day, 50 years later, is still the longest drive of my life...329 yards. (I know because I paced it off and I only had a 3/4 pitching wedge left to the green.) This was before my Dad had bought me a full set of clubs since I hadn't yet made the team so I had a beat up hand-me-down Johnny Farrell signature driver made by Hillerich & Bradsby, the same company that makes Louisville Slugger baseball bats. One good thing about playing when it's cold, you get lots of roll.

I have never played when it's that cold ever again. if it's below 60, I have other things I'd rather do.

PS: I made the team and my Dad bought me a full set of Spalding Top Flite's.

Edited by xrayvizhen
  • Upvote 1

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

I like it to be above 45.  This typically means I have to compensate by teeing off later in the day as winter arrives.  Those early morning tee times just don't work in Jan/Feb.

When that 5th of Jack Daniels starts freezing, I'd probably call it quits.  :-P

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 2296 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!