IGNORED

When is it too cold to golf?

buckeyeben14
Note: This thread is 2269 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 11/10/2017 at 2:57 PM, Fourputt said:

So... you have a car for cool, rather than for Colorado?  J/K. 

My brother bought his dream car right out of college, a 1974 Lotus Europa, working for Amoco in Tulsa, Oklahoma where there isn't a lot of worry about snow most of the time.  A year there and he couldn't stand being away from the Rockies any more, got a job in Idaho, and had to sell the Lotus because it wouldn't go in the snow, no way, nohow.  Traded it on a Datsun 280Z - still not the best snow car, but at least it had more than 2" of ground clearance.

That's a completely fair assessment of the car I bought. Doesn't help that the car has the factory option lowered sport suspension on it as well. I could've shoveled the little bit of snow there to get out, but I wasn't in a huge hurry to go somewhere that day. In Boulder, anyways, if the snow is so bad that there's 4-5 inches on the streets unplowed you'll have mostly everything shut down until that gets fixed, and it usually doesn't get to that point, so a car with large ground clearance isn't as necessary as you think in town. I just don't go for long drives to distant places when it's icy, I'll wait a day or two and go then if I need to go meet my parents or something. 

If the weather is clear enough to golf I can still get to the course!

Edited by Pretzel

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yesterday was a little too cold, 35 degrees and brisk with little to no sun.  Not sure our course was even open.  Today, we have a high of 45, playing at 11 am.  

Edited by jsgolfer

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

2 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

Yesterday was a little too cold, 35 degrees and brisk with little to no sun.  Not sure our course was even open.  Today, we have a high of 45, playing at 11 am.  

I played yesterday, it was the annual "Superintendant's Revenge".  It was just above freezing when I got to the course at 9:30, and warmed up to almost 40 by the time we were done.  Luckily, there was almost no wind.  Today, I'm at home, watching football and making Stracotto di Manzo (Italian-style pot roast), no need for more punishment.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Happens every year - I tell myself I'll find some other type of winter activity and not think about golf. It's only the first week of snow and I'm dying to be out on the course or even the practice range. 

Right now, I'd take playing in the bitter cold just to be playing. Sometimes I hate being addicted to this game. :loco:

• Like 1

Jon

It was actually not too bad today.  A little chilly but wasn't bad.  Didn't wear my winter pants or extra jacket.  

6 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I played yesterday, it was the annual "Superintendant's Revenge".  It was just above freezing when I got to the course at 9:30, and warmed up to almost 40 by the time we were done.  Luckily, there was almost no wind.  Today, I'm at home, watching football and making Stracotto di Manzo (Italian-style pot roast), no need for more punishment.

We have our greens keeper's revenge tournament on Wednesday.  Supposed to be in the 50's.  :dance:  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

On 11/8/2017 at 3:07 PM, onthehunt526 said:

So I'd say it's too cold to golf, when the ground is so frozen you can't tee a ball up. 

I use to carry a hammer.  But now I have special tees that sit on top of the frozen ground.  One for drives and one for iron shots on par 3's.

7 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I use to carry a hammer.  But now I have special tees that sit on top of the frozen ground.  One for drives and one for iron shots on par 3's.

Interesting way to solve that problem.

The best answer, when Alina (my 4-year-old) asks me if we can go build a snowman.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Is this too cold? :-D

February of this year, me and a friend decided to try snow golf.
No surprise we were the only ones on the course, can't believe they let us.

It was fun for the few holes we 'played'. We did get some strange looks in the clubhouse afterwards.

(And no, I don't usually play a pink ball, had to buy a sleeve especially for the occasion.)

20170211_133107[1].jpg

Anything as low as 40 degrees is playable as long the wind is low.

If the wind is up (> 20mph), even 55 degrees seem too cold.

I've played when it was about 30 degrees without hardly any wind, and it was really comfortable.

2 hours ago, Big_in_Belgium said:

Is this too cold? :-D

February of this year, me and a friend decided to try snow golf.
No surprise we were the only ones on the course, can't believe they let us.

It was fun for the few holes we 'played'. We did get some strange looks in the clubhouse afterwards.

(And no, I don't usually play a pink ball, had to buy a sleeve especially for the occasion.)

20170211_133107[1].jpg

I've done this before.

colored balls don't help when it burrows under the snow.

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

1 hour ago, BallMarker said:

Anything as low as 40 degrees is playable as long the wind is low.

If the wind is up (> 20mph), even 55 degrees seem too cold.

I've played when it was about 30 degrees without hardly any wind, and it was really comfortable.

I've done this before.

colored balls don't help when it burrows under the snow.

Out of curiosity, how much distance (if any) are you losing off the tee in those temps?

Haven't read the entire thread, apologies if this has already been discussed..

19 minutes ago, Kalnoky said:

Out of curiosity, how much distance (if any) are you losing off the tee in those temps?

Generally none.  Last winter on the frozen turf I hit a drive on a 500 yard par 5 and the ball ended up 100 yards from the green.  So a 400 yard drive!  I told the guy I was playing with to tell his foursome next summer that he once played with a guy who hit a 400 yard drive on that hole... but not to mention the frozen ground.  :)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kalnoky said:

Haven't read the entire thread, apologies if this has already been discussed..

In WA, right now I’m playing for a 7-10yd loss. Better safe than sorry too so I usually club up a little more sometimes. 

• Like 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

2 hours ago, Kalnoky said:

If the wind isn't a factor, it's about one club (10 yards) for the short irons. Probably more like 15-20 with the big boys. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

If the wind isn't a factor, it's about one club (10 yards) for the short irons. Probably more like 15-20 with the big boys. 

That's about what I've been experiencing too - the driver is losing 15-20 yards. I was 210-230 all summer, and sometimes 250+, now I'm roughly 185-210. 

It is in the 40's here right now and I can still play. The cold does not bother me as much as the rain & mud.  

Note: This thread is 2269 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!