IGNORED

No More Fatass In 2011

ControlJunkie
Note: This thread is 4775 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by CassinoNorth

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkoguy07

Weight isn't important don't concentrate on that as much as body composition.  If you workout there is a high possibility you will gain some muscle(which weighs more than fat) now say you are just focusing on your weight you would be like why can't i get down below 200?  or why am i gaining weight and then get discouraged in quit.. so don't worry so much about weight. you can have a ton of water weight which can easily be manipulated causing you to lose 5-10lbs.

Ha. Gonna be picky here. 1 lb of muscle=1 lb of fat, but yes muscle is absolutely more dense than fat.

True, let me clarify lol.

1 lb of anything is equal to 1 lb of anything.

BUT

Muscle is heavier by volume than fat

theree we go haha

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few of the OP's link's theories are just wives tales.

1. Weighing yourself daily.

DO NOT DO THIS. Body weight fluxuates too much. What are you gonna do one morning after you had a good workout and your diet was perfect and you gained half a pound? Give up? Don't do it. Weigh yourself ONCE A WEEK. I chose saturday mornings pre-breakfast so it was nice and uniform.

2. Eating after dinner.

I almost always have a shake or a few nuts post dinner. Don't starve yourself because you believe everything you eat after 6 will turn to fat.

3. Don't eat 3 meals a day.

Eat 5-6 smaller meals a day. It'll increase your metabolism and keep you going.

I disagree with all points, and they're not "wives tales". Just because it's not what you believe doesn't make it so. As I always say, what works for some people might not necessarily work for others.

1. Weighing yourself daily - Guess what? YES I DO THIS DAILY AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO THIS DAILY! No, if a half pound was gained, it does not mean you give up. If anything, if you have the right mindset about it, it can serve as a great motivator. "Hey, I'm up a half pound from yesterday, I need to work harder today and pay extra attention to what I eat". That's like saying if you go out one day and shoot a 79, then the next day you go out and shoot an 83, you're just gonna give up. It's all about how you look at it and what motivates you.

And most people are at their lightest weight of the day when they get out of bed in the morning. Weight fluctuates throughout the day, but is normally at it's lowest when you wake up, which makes it about as accurate as it's going to be as long as you do it at the same time every day. It's nothing more than a way to track progress.

2. Yeah, and you probably have a higher metabolism as well. This isn't rocket science here - taking in less calories and not eating at some of the times you were previously accustomed to eating! For some people, yeah, there will be a period when they're hungry during those times, but I'd hardly call that starving yourself. If you take in proper nutrition throughout the day, and you've reached the ceiling for the number of calories you want to take in for that day, and it's only 6:00 at night, then yeah, you should go hungry for the night. That's how one avoids falling into the same traps that them here in the first place.

3. Not everyone has the convenience of being able to prepare 6 meals a day. Some of us are constantly going. 3 is doing the job just fine for me. And don't give me that garbage about packing stuff up to bring to work or whatever other ideas are out there. Again, you're taking what works for you and trying to pass it off as gospel. Different things work for different people. I eat three meals per day, and in the last 4-5 days or so, I've lost four pounds, so don't make it sound like it'd flat out wrong because it's not what you do.

And to bkoguy07, note the title of this thread - " No More Fatass In 2011 ". While your post may be true for someone already in pretty good shape, for others that are far above where they want to be, tracking weight serves as measurement of how much someone has progressed towards their goal, and is an important measurement. I've been there before, see here . But this thread is more intended for people wanting dropping weight, shed fat, and getting in better shape. When someone has hit that point you're talking about, it will be pretty evident by looking in the mirror, and I think most people here are intelligent enough to know that their weight in pounds is nowhere near as relevant of a number as it was when they were 40 lbs over weight.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

I have to agree with ControlJunkie, and I would like to point out that this is not the same thread as the many P90x ones or the one titled Healthy Eating or whatever it is. If I'm out of line, let me know, but I really really hope they don't turn into the same thread because the purposes are very different.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by ControlJunkie

Quote:

A few of the OP's link's theories are just wives tales.

1. Weighing yourself daily.

DO NOT DO THIS. Body weight fluxuates too much. What are you gonna do one morning after you had a good workout and your diet was perfect and you gained half a pound? Give up? Don't do it. Weigh yourself ONCE A WEEK. I chose saturday mornings pre-breakfast so it was nice and uniform.

2. Eating after dinner.

I almost always have a shake or a few nuts post dinner. Don't starve yourself because you believe everything you eat after 6 will turn to fat.

3. Don't eat 3 meals a day.

Eat 5-6 smaller meals a day. It'll increase your metabolism and keep you going.

I disagree with all points, and they're not "wives tales". Just because it's not what you believe doesn't make it so. As I always say, what works for some people might not necessarily work for others.

1. Weighing yourself daily - Guess what? YES I DO THIS DAILY AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO THIS DAILY! No, if a half pound was gained, it does not mean you give up. If anything, if you have the right mindset about it, it can serve as a great motivator. "Hey, I'm up a half pound from yesterday, I need to work harder today and pay extra attention to what I eat". That's like saying if you go out one day and shoot a 79, then the next day you go out and shoot an 83, you're just gonna give up. It's all about how you look at it and what motivates you.

And most people are at their lightest weight of the day when they get out of bed in the morning. Weight fluctuates throughout the day, but is normally at it's lowest when you wake up, which makes it about as accurate as it's going to be as long as you do it at the same time every day. It's nothing more than a way to track progress.

2. Yeah, and you probably have a higher metabolism as well. This isn't rocket science here - taking in less calories and not eating at some of the times you were previously accustomed to eating! For some people, yeah, there will be a period when they're hungry during those times, but I'd hardly call that starving yourself. If you take in proper nutrition throughout the day, and you've reached the ceiling for the number of calories you want to take in for that day, and it's only 6:00 at night, then yeah, you should go hungry for the night. That's how one avoids falling into the same traps that them here in the first place.

3. Not everyone has the convenience of being able to prepare 6 meals a day. Some of us are constantly going. 3 is doing the job just fine for me. And don't give me that garbage about packing stuff up to bring to work or whatever other ideas are out there. Again, you're taking what works for you and trying to pass it off as gospel. Different things work for different people. I eat three meals per day, and in the last 4-5 days or so, I've lost four pounds, so don't make it sound like it'd flat out wrong because it's not what you do.

And to bkoguy07, note the title of this thread - "No More Fatass In 2011". While your post may be true for someone already in pretty good shape, for others that are far above where they want to be, tracking weight serves as measurement of how much someone has progressed towards their goal, and is an important measurement. I've been there before, see here. But this thread is more intended for people wanting dropping weight, shed fat, and getting in better shape. When someone has hit that point you're talking about, it will be pretty evident by looking in the mirror, and I think most people here are intelligent enough to know that their weight in pounds is nowhere near as relevant of a number as it was when they were 40 lbs over weight.

True I understand where you are coming from.  I was merely mentioning that incase your gains slow down and you're not losing as much weight as you want.  Simply to keep people from quitting... you know just cuz you aren't seeing results on the scale doesn't mean you aren't getting results.  Thats all.

But I disagree with your points on the 1, 2, 3.

1)  Yes you can weigh yourself daily if you do it early in the morning as a baseline measurement, but that may not reflect your true weight.  Some meals (such as mexican contain much sodium) will make you bloat and hold more water than normal if you consumed it the night before.  You seem to use it as a motivator so I wouldn't disagree to weigh yourself every morning, do what works.  But you can infact manipulate your water weight (carbs, sodium, not drinking enough water) and "bloat up" if you're not careful.

2)  Caloric intake and a caloric deficiet are good for losing weight.  I agree if you hit a number then maybe you shouldn't consume anything after that.  I tend to carb cycle(eat most of my carbs early on for energy for the day and then try to abstain from them later on at night so I don't hold as much water)  I'm curious, the number you use for your calorie goals are they maintenance calories or to create a caloric deficiet as in you've already calculated how many calories you have burned that day?

3)  You really should consume 5-8 meals a day(small meals).  It does slightly increase your metabolism.  And I'm not preaching to you  but on a sunday you can't grill a whole bunch of chicken and cook some rice for the week?  I'm not questioning what you do during the week, but I'm just curious.  That's what I try to do when I'm pretty busy.  Yeah 3 meals a day definitely can work to help one lose weight but you might not be maximizing the results you can actually get.  I'm sure CassinoNorth is just giving out ideas that will help MAXIMIZE results.  Sure you don't absolutely have to do them to see results but they probably can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkoguy07 View Post

True I understand where you are coming from.  I was merely mentioning that incase your gains slow down and you're not losing as much weight as you want.  Simply to keep people from quitting... you know just cuz you aren't seeing results on the scale doesn't mean you aren't getting results.  Thats all.

But I disagree with your points on the 1, 2, 3.

Cool, fair enough

Quote:
1)  Yes you can weigh yourself daily if you do it early in the morning as a baseline measurement, but that may not reflect your true weight. Some meals (such as mexican contain much sodium) will make you bloat and hold more water than normal if you consumed it the night before.  You seem to use it as a motivator so I wouldn't disagree to weigh yourself every morning, do what works.  But you can infact manipulate your water weight (carbs, sodium, not drinking enough water) and "bloat up" if you're not careful.

It may not reflect your true weight on that particular morning is more like it. I'm not sure if I posted this anywhere else in this thread but anyway, since starting all of this, I've been very strict about keeping record of everything I eat along with the nutritional info. So lets take your situation for example - you eat a high sodium meal and you retain water for one or two days, which is reflected when you weigh in each morning. When keeping record of both daily weight and each individual food item, over a period of a few weeks, yeah, you'll probably see those days as spikes, but remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint. These changes in diet and activity are meant to be long term, permanent improvements. A couple of spikes here and there due to bloat from water/sodium are merely just that. Not only that, by keeping a record of what's eaten, one will be able to correlate that with what was eaten on those days when the spikes were present and see exactly why they happened, and that they weren't a permanent thing. The continuous downward slope in weight is what really tells the tale of how well you've done over that period of time. The daily weight recordings are simply the increments. I see what you're getting at, but again, remember, marathon, not 100m sprint.

Quote:
2) Caloric intake and a caloric deficiet are good for losing weight.  I agree if you hit a number then maybe you shouldn't consume anything after that. I tend to carb cycle(eat most of my carbs early on for energy for the day and then try to abstain from them later on at night so I don't hold as much water)  I'm curious, the number you use for your calorie goals are they maintenance calories or to create a caloric deficiet as in you've already calculated how many calories you have burned that day?

Wait, you just said above you disagree. Whatever. But I'm like you in that I try avoid a lot of carbs later in the day/at night, and take more in earlier in the day for fuel. Which goes back to the whole "avoid a lot of food past 6PM" thing (which, by the way, is a relative time - if you normally go to sleep at midnight or 1 AM, then that number might go up to 7 or even 8 PM. I try to go to bed at 9:30 or 10, so 6 is my cut off time. Water and something that is almost pure protein and little to no carbs is allowed in small doses). The numbers I use for caloric intake goals (1800 at the moment) is to create a deficit, in order to lose weight at this point. Once I get to a more comfortable weight, my plan is to gradually introduce a hundred or so at a time in order to promote muscle growth. I'd say when I get to that point, it will probably top out at 2200 or so. At that point, I should be taking in 1g protein per pound of body weight. 2200 calories will definitely allow for quality food to promote that.

Quote:
3)  You really should consume 5-8 meals a day(small meals).  It does slightly increase your metabolism.  And I'm not preaching to you  but on a sunday you can't grill a whole bunch of chicken and cook some rice for the week?  I'm not questioning what you do during the week, but I'm just curious.  That's what I try to do when I'm pretty busy.  Yeah 3 meals a day definitely can work to help one lose weight but you might not be maximizing the results you can actually get.  I'm sure CassinoNorth is just giving out ideas that will help MAXIMIZE results.  Sure you don't absolutely have to do them to see results but they probably can help.

Ok, let's put this into perspective. I'm going to use my lunch today as an example. I had turkey and swiss on wheat (with 1 slice of Kraft free swiss) and a cup of Yoplait light. I mean, pretty reasonably small meal, at least to me, especially considering lunch previously consisted of Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich and medium fries. Here's the nutritional breakdown:

Item Servings Calories Fat S. Fat T. Fat Sodium Carbs Fiber Sugars Protein
Todays Lunch
Natures Own 100% Whole Grain Bread
2 Slices 140 3 0 0 230 24 4 4 8
Kraft Fat Free Swiss Cheese
1 Slice 25 0 0 0 250 2 0 1 4
Sarah Lee Honey Roasted Turkey
12 Slices (3 Srv) 150 1.5 0 0 1380 0 0 0 33
Yoplait Light
1 Cup 100 0 0 0 85 19 0 14 5
Totals 415 4.5 0 0 1945 45 4 19 50

Now, if I eat something with those same numbers 5 times, I've blown that 1800 calories out of the water (would equal 2075). So the common response would be "yeah, but you can get away with that 4 times and be under the limit", and while that's correct, remember that I said that I, like you, tend to front load everything a little bit. My breakfast this morning was along the lines of 700 calories, 88g carbs, and 71g protein. Between the shake I make after I finish in the gym (which I guess you might consider a meal, even though I don't really classify it as that) and a grilled chicken breast and whatever else for dinner, I have then hit my goals for the day with only 3 (arguably 4) meals. I just don't know that I can break it down much more than that, in terms of making my current meals smaller and spreading them out more throughout the day.

And yes, I can grill the weeks worth of chicken and rice thing on Sunday to take with me throughout the week, but that doesn't change the fact that I can't fit between 2-4 more meals in and still meet my intake goals, let alone have the additional time to eat those additional meals on a consistent basis. When I do pre-cook stuff during the week, that's what I take with me for lunch.

Still, what I was getting at in the first place, and maybe more to CassinoNorth's posts than yours is that what your posts are saying is that the things I originally posted are wrong, when they're not. Had it been posted more as saying "hey, here's other ideas that may help some of you...", well, let's just say my advice is that it's probably a better way of going about it. This thread is intended to help each other out and share ideas, helpful tips on dropping some pounds, etc., not to try to debunk some people's ways of doing things. Unless someone comes on here and posts "You can eat buckets of Popeye's fried chicken 8 times a day and loose 30 lbs in a week!!" If that happens, they're fair game

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

Originally Posted by ControlJunkie

Still, what I was getting at in the first place, and maybe more to CassinoNorth's posts than yours is that what your posts are saying is that the things I originally posted are wrong, when they're not. Had it been posted more as saying "hey, here's other ideas that may help some of you...", well, let's just say my advice is that it's probably a better way of going about it. This thread is intended to help each other out and share ideas, helpful tips on dropping some pounds, etc., not to try to debunk some people's ways of doing things. Unless someone comes on here and posts "You can eat buckets of Popeye's fried chicken 8 times a day and loose 30 lbs in a week!!" If that happens, they're fair game

Just trying to help. I was commenting on the link, not your post. I can tell you understand the fundamentals of losing weight from your posts, absolutely.

We better get those before and after photos too. They're always fun to see:

First picture...about a month into my cut 196 lbs, May 25th (ugh)
And July 7th sitting at 183 lbs

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

Hahah yeah I didn't mean to say disagree, I went to edit the post but it got all weird and I just gave up lol

well shit since we postin pics (this is how you should keep your progress as well.  i also use a spreadsheet in excel with the Date Time and my weight over the course of the years

august 2008 1.jpg

This was after a cut after i stopped running and gained a little back.. ~190  - 195lbs

1111111111111.jpg

After a bulk ~220lbs

me july1.JPG

After that bulk i did a little cut ~210 - 215

Now that's some solid mass dude, good job all around.

My biggest weakness (by far) is my obliques. They're non existent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJunkie View Post

It may not reflect your true weight on that particular morning is more like it. I'm not sure if I posted this anywhere else in this thread but anyway, since starting all of this, I've been very strict about keeping record of everything I eat along with the nutritional info. So lets take your situation for example - you eat a high sodium meal and you retain water for one or two days, which is reflected when you weigh in each morning. When keeping record of both daily weight and each individual food item, over a period of a few weeks, yeah, you'll probably see those days as spikes, but remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint. These changes in diet and activity are meant to be long term, permanent improvements. A couple of spikes here and there due to bloat from water/sodium are merely just that. Not only that, by keeping a record of what's eaten, one will be able to correlate that with what was eaten on those days when the spikes were present and see exactly why they happened, and that they weren't a permanent thing. The continuous downward slope in weight is what really tells the tale of how well you've done over that period of time. The daily weight recordings are simply the increments. I see what you're getting at, but again, remember, marathon, not 100m sprint.

Quote:
2) Caloric intake and a caloric deficiet are good for losing weight.  I agree if you hit a number then maybe you shouldn't consume anything after that. I tend to carb cycle(eat most of my carbs early on for energy for the day and then try to abstain from them later on at night so I don't hold as much water)  I'm curious, the number you use for your calorie goals are they maintenance calories or to create a caloric deficiet as in you've already calculated how many calories you have burned that day?

Wait, you just said above you disagree. Whatever. But I'm like you in that I try avoid a lot of carbs later in the day/at night, and take more in earlier in the day for fuel. Which goes back to the whole "avoid a lot of food past 6PM" thing (which, by the way, is a relative time - if you normally go to sleep at midnight or 1 AM, then that number might go up to 7 or even 8 PM. I try to go to bed at 9:30 or 10, so 6 is my cut off time. Water and something that is almost pure protein and little to no carbs is allowed in small doses). The numbers I use for caloric intake goals (1800 at the moment) is to create a deficit, in order to lose weight at this point. Once I get to a more comfortable weight, my plan is to gradually introduce a hundred or so at a time in order to promote muscle growth. I'd say when I get to that point, it will probably top out at 2200 or so. At that point, I should be taking in 1g protein per pound of body weight. 2200 calories will definitely allow for quality food to promote that.

Quote:

Ok, let's put this into perspective. I'm going to use my lunch today as an example. I had turkey and swiss on wheat (with 1 slice of Kraft free swiss) and a cup of Yoplait light. I mean, pretty reasonably small meal, at least to me, especially considering lunch previously consisted of Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich and medium fries. Here's the nutritional breakdown:

Item Servings Calories Fat S. Fat T. Fat Sodium Carbs Fiber Sugars Protein
Todays Lunch
Natures Own 100% Whole Grain Bread
2 Slices 140 3 0 0 230 24 4 4 8
Kraft Fat Free Swiss Cheese
1 Slice 25 0 0 0 250 2 0 1 4
Sarah Lee Honey Roasted Turkey
12 Slices (3 Srv) 150 1.5 0 0 1380 0 0 0 33
Yoplait Light
1 Cup 100 0 0 0 85 19 0 14 5
Totals 415 4.5 0 0 1945 45 4 19 50

Now, if I eat something with those same numbers 5 times, I've blown that 1800 calories out of the water (would equal 2075). So the common response would be "yeah, but you can get away with that 4 times and be under the limit", and while that's correct, remember that I said that I, like you, tend to front load everything a little bit. My breakfast this morning was along the lines of 700 calories, 88g carbs, and 71g protein. Between the shake I make after I finish in the gym (which I guess you might consider a meal, even though I don't really classify it as that) and a grilled chicken breast and whatever else for dinner, I have then hit my goals for the day with only 3 (arguably 4) meals. I just don't know that I can break it down much more than that, in terms of making my current meals smaller and spreading them out more throughout the day.

And yes, I can grill the weeks worth of chicken and rice thing on Sunday to take with me throughout the week, but that doesn't change the fact that I can't fit between 2-4 more meals in and still meet my intake goals, let alone have the additional time to eat those additional meals on a consistent basis. When I do pre-cook stuff during the week, that's what I take with me for lunch.

The problem with the weighing every day is the majority of dieters WILL get discouraged if they weigh every day. That is why trainers will tell you not to weigh every day and most will even tell you that the mirror and your clothes is the best way to judge how much you are losing. Yes, there are people out there that understand what's going on and log their foods like you do (I do it as well) and they can handle their weight fluctuating because they understand what is happening.  Most people that try to lose weight do not do this and weighing every day can be a disaster for these people.   So, in other words, no one is wrong here.  It's just what works best for YOU.  Too many people mimic what other people do and read Muscle Fitness and mimic that stuff when that is just not the right way to go about it.  You have to figure out what works best for YOU as individual because everyone is different.

If you are carb cycling, a half day timed carb diet for example, you can have your carbs in your morning meals or evening meals, it doesn't matter. You are still getting the same amount of carb depletion either way.   I have done it both ways and lost weight.

As far as the whole 5 meals a day thing, that is another individual thing.  You say that you can't see breaking your meals down to 5 every day and still staying within your caloric goal, but IMO, that is just poor planning.   Anyone can break down their caloric goals for the day into 5 meals. It just takes planning and what not.  It may be that you only eat an ounce of cheese and half a banana for a meal, but you can still break it down into 5 meals.  Just because your lunch was 415 calories doesn't mean that every meal you eat has to be 415 calories.  Now with that being said, it may be that you don't have the time to eat the 5 meals a day or it's just not something that suits your lifestyle, but it can be broken down into 5 meals a day no matter how many calories you are taking in.  I wouldn't consider a shake a meal, but the macros have to be accounted for. So you just have to work it into your daily numbers.

Now after saying all of that, I am not one that believes that you must eat 5 meals a day to maximize your metabolism.  I did the Warrior Diet and my metabolism was as high as it is no matter how much I eat. And I have seen many people eat this way and have, many times, much better results than the 5 meal a day stuff.   Which leads me to my biggest point, it's all about YOU and how YOUR body reacts to certain things.  That is why it is so important to log your meals and actually know what and how much you are putting in your body.  No one here is "wrong."  They are just expressing what works for them

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Quote:
The problem with the weighing every day is the majority of dieters WILL get discouraged if they weigh every day.

I agree with this, i weight myself at most twice a week, and its always at the same time, just after i wake up in the morning..

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJunkie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsRHman View Post

Thanks for reading, and thanks for the tips. I'm definitely going to pick up some egg beaters. My biggest issue with breakfast right now is that I need something quick that I can take on the commute to work. Hard boiled eggs just just the trick.

I do the egg beaters on the weekend, but I've got the same exact problem during the week, gotta have something for the commute because I'm in a rush in the mornings. Guess I could always pound the egg beaters, Balboa-style . It kinda sucks, almost forced to eat some sort of cereal bar or something similar and rely on milk for a decent source of protein. The hard boiled eggs are a good idea for the week, I didn't think about it like that. Once they're boiled, they can be refrigerated, right? Like, boil a bunch on Sunday and have them ready for the work week? (Kinda embarrassed by the fact that I've lived by myself for almost 10 years and I don't know that)

And I wish fast food didn't suck so much. It blows my mind that no one offers anything quick and healthy. Would it be that hard for one of these places to offer egg whites on wheat toast (not soaked in grease) with some sort of low-fat cheese? I guess the same goes for all meals, not just breakfast. I know Subway offers breakfast now, but I've never been through a quick Subway. Takes probably as much time as it would for me to cook something myself, which defeats the purpose. Maybe I can open something like that, become a millionaire, and then be able to play golf every day. Might be on to something here...

You need to get one of these, you can make a healthy breakfast microwaving egg whites in about 1.5 minutes.  Just put it in a wheat tortilla, and add a little low fat cheese, canadian bacon,  and/or some salsa and you have a meal on the run.

http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Microwave-Egg-Poacher/dp/B0000CFQ4B/ref=cm_lmf_tit_6

Originally Posted by PhilsRHman

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy

There's a great book that Tim Ferriss just released "The 4 Hour body." Read that book and follow the guidelines and you'll lose the weight. None of that calorie counting shit.

I was just looking at that book today and could only wonder how he claims you can lose 30 pounds in 30 days without exercise, "enjoy 15 minute orgasms" and thrive on just two hours of sleep a day. A bit extreme. Can you give us a little synopsis?

I've had my best success on Atkins but it's no sustainable, no matter how many times I've tried. Thanks for posting a link to my blog above. I have a feeling it's going to be an eye-opening month. Just two days in, it's amazing how seeing what I SHOULD be eating is so far off from what I HAVE been eating.

Yeah some of the ideas in his book are extreme but his diet regime is not. He recommends a diet he calls "The slow carb diet." In a nutshell he gives you 5 rules.

1. Don't eat white carbs or anything that could be a white carb. (No rice, no bread and yes that includes Brown rice and wholemeal bread.)

2. Don't drink calories

3. Don't eat fruit

4. Eat the same meals over and over again.

5. Have a cheat day.

I would also add don't eat any sugar.

The thing with grains, starches (such as fruit) and sweets is that it gives your glucose levels a nice jolt and decreases insulin sensitivity. It makes you crave more of this shitty food. Anything that spikes your glucose levels is a sure way to get fat.

The diet is not that hard especially with the cheat day where you can eat anything. He also gives you some nice pointers to stay focused.

[quote]1. Weighing yourself daily - Guess what? YES I DO THIS DAILY AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO THIS DAILY! No, if a half pound was gained, it does not mean you give up. If anything, if you have the right mindset about it, it can serve as a great motivator. "Hey, I'm up a half pound from yesterday, I need to work harder today and pay extra attention to what I eat". That's like saying if you go out one day and shoot a 79, then the next day you go out and shoot an 83, you're just gonna give up. It's all about how you look at it and what motivates you.[/quote]

Agreed. Nothing wrong with tracking your weight everyday, just don't get all emotional about it when you don't lose more than expected.

I'm 10 days in and still going strong. I'm keeping my calories to 1800 a day and using an app I found for my iPhone called Lose It! Started at 230 and weighed 220.5 today. I'm sure a chunk of that 9.5 pounds was water weight but now that I'm paying attention to my calories, I'm fairly certain I was eating 3000+ multiple times a week. Here's a link to my latest update: www.metro.us/diet

I know that I need to add exercise into my routine, but it was a bit of a struggle getting myself into the swing of 1800 calories. As for the 5 meal debate going on, I'm finding that it's not too tough. Here's a typical day: 3 hard boiled eggs and Kashi granola bar (350 cal) at 10:30 ... Lunch (450 cal) at 1:30 ... Dinner (550 cal) at 6 ... Bowl of soup, crackers (400 cal) at 9. I don't go to bed until 1 am most nights, so I might have a banana or a hard boiled egg, or some cheese, just a 100 calorie snack so my blood sugar won't drop overnight. Whenever my lunch has a couple parts, let's say a sandwich and salad, I'll try to divide them up by an hour or so and then adjust accordingly. It's been a huge help with hunger to eat every 2-3 hours, and knowing I'll be eating again soon keeps me from overeating.

I'm far from an expert. I've done a million diets and this is the closest thing to a lifestyle change as I've tried. In the past it was always more about the program/diet/gimmick and less about eating right and being aware of calories. I admit that today was rough, being home all day bored, I was going crazy. Even now, I'm out of calories but I'm dying for something to eat. I'll have 2-3 glasses of water and that should help.

Driver: Nike Covert Tour | 3W: Callaway X Hot Pro | Irons: Mizuno JPX-800 Pro X100 SS | Wedges: Vokey SM 54-08, Vokey Raw 60-12 | Putter (of the week): Arnold Palmer "The Original" 33"

I am a week into P90x and using the "Men's Health Belly Off!" eating plan.  Last week while I was trying to watch what I ate I hadn't lost any weight up to Friday.  Since then I have lost 4.5 lbs since starting the Men's Health Belly Off! eating plan.  I have been following it to a T and it seems to be working.  I am looking for some more weight to come off this week.  I am aware that this initial loss will slow down, so I am prepared when things start to slow down.  This morning I am 202 even - down from 206.5.

Gonna start having to work the midsection a little harder to get where bkoguy07 is.  I will take some pics sometime this week and post them.

Here's to getting in shape!!

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

You guys are much leaner than I'll ever be.  Looks to be sub 10% body fat and that is thin.

Me personally, I'm having real trouble with my diet right now.  Gym wise, I'm doing great.  Hitting it harder than ever, getting stronger, my back is getting thick, all good stuff.  But wieght wise, body fat % I am just stuck.  I was down to 14.6% based on my measurements and I wieghted 189 at that time.  Now, I'm 198 and guessing 15-16%.  I have put on size in my arms and back and my wedding ring is pretty loose so I don't think I'm that fat right now.  But I'm not going down.  It is getting harder for me. I used to be 246 a couple of years ago and have transformed my life style since then so it doesn't feel like a diet and I love working hard in the gym.

But man, it is hard not to cheat on my diet.  I have a diet from a nutritionist that I know works, I'm just not following it.  Without being able to do things outside I'm home more and for entertainment I eat.

Should I do more cardio?  I'm lifting 90% of my time in the gym and I like it.  I super set lots of stuff and get a great workout but it doesn't translate into losing fat.  I personally think it is my lack of control with my eating.

Also, there is nothing wrong with weighing yourself everyday.  I do it, love it.  I understand that there can be big flucuations but if my diet is good I can see results in wieght.

Brian

Originally Posted by Leftygolfer

You guys are much leaner than I'll ever be.  Looks to be sub 10% body fat and that is thin.

Me personally, I'm having real trouble with my diet right now.  Gym wise, I'm doing great.  Hitting it harder than ever, getting stronger, my back is getting thick, all good stuff.  But wieght wise, body fat % I am just stuck.  I was down to 14.6% based on my measurements and I wieghted 189 at that time.  Now, I'm 198 and guessing 15-16%.  I have put on size in my arms and back and my wedding ring is pretty loose so I don't think I'm that fat right now.  But I'm not going down.  It is getting harder for me. I used to be 246 a couple of years ago and have transformed my life style since then so it doesn't feel like a diet and I love working hard in the gym.

But man, it is hard not to cheat on my diet.  I have a diet from a nutritionist that I know works, I'm just not following it.  Without being able to do things outside I'm home more and for entertainment I eat.

Should I do more cardio?  I'm lifting 90% of my time in the gym and I like it.  I super set lots of stuff and get a great workout but it doesn't translate into losing fat.  I personally think it is my lack of control with my eating.

Also, there is nothing wrong with weighing yourself everyday.  I do it, love it.  I understand that there can be big flucuations but if my diet is good I can see results in wieght.

If you want to burn fat while you are lifting you need to get your heart rate up and keep it there through your work out.  P90x and some others like 5 factor fitness use these techniques.  It's a key component on putting on leaning muscle and burning that fat without having to do a ton of extra cardio....IMO.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Originally Posted by Leftygolfer

The picture of me is at least 12% I'd say. And you're right, at that point I just felt skinny and weak. I love the progress I've made bulking lately.

Today was my two-week mark and I'm down from 230 to 218. Amazing how the pounds are coming off without any gimmicks. Just sticking to this 1800 calorie plan. I'm pretty grossed out over how much I was eating. The cravings have only really been bad on the weekends, when I'm used to eating terribly watching football - pizza, wings, subs, sausage, pepperoni, etc. Now that I'm reading calories I realize how big a difference between "good" and "bad" foods. Atkins made me think all meats are equal. I realized this weekend that Whole Foods chicken sausage is 130 calories. Their pork sausage is 450. Considering I'd normally eat 3-4 of them, and wow, you can see the difference.

It's funny, just by eating normal, the weight is pouring off. It confirms my theory that I was actually having to go out of my way to eat so much to remain this overweight.

Driver: Nike Covert Tour | 3W: Callaway X Hot Pro | Irons: Mizuno JPX-800 Pro X100 SS | Wedges: Vokey SM 54-08, Vokey Raw 60-12 | Putter (of the week): Arnold Palmer "The Original" 33"

Note: This thread is 4775 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!