Jump to content
Note: This thread is 3814 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

So, after a lengthy time away from TST, I am back.  Mostly because I couldn't remember my password.  Anyhow, for christmas, I got a new set of irons.  I have it narrowed down to a few, but I want some outside opinions as to what might be a good set.  My list currently is (in order of most liked to less)

Bridgestone J38 Forged Cavity

Nike VR Pro Combo

Mizuno MP-53

Titleist CB/AP1

I am about a 10 Handicap and a very good ball striker.  Just not QUITE good enough for Blades...:(

THANKS,

Varsity_Golf

Link to post
Share on other sites

Forged are a tough step up from a 10 handicap but try out the callaway x-forged i turned to thoes when I was about a 8 handicap and loved them easy transition and was hitting the ball much better. I tested out all the mizunos didn't really care for them lost like 10 yards in distance too. Im not big into the comnbo sets and the ap1s arent forged the ap2s are really nice had a friend go from the burners to them scratch golfer and he loved them. They are also longer and more forgiving if you have the money id go more towards the ap2's out of your list. Another item coming out soon are the ping forged first ones in 40 years or something along thoes lines. But best to try them out you never know what you are going to like I thought i was 100% mizuno tried them out at the simulator at golf galaxy and tried the callaways and went with them great feel. Let me know what you choose!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I don't know your golf game or your swing...or anything about you for that matter, I am going to suggest the Nike VR Pro Combos, just because I think they are really sweet looking.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Go and get fitted by a good custom clubmaker. This will do a lot more to ensure your gear doesn't hold you back than swapping any one GI iron head for another.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades



Originally Posted by ttdeuel214

Forged are a tough step up from a 10 handicap but try out the callaway x-forged i turned to thoes when I was about a 8 handicap and loved them easy transition and was hitting the ball much better. I tested out all the mizunos didn't really care for them lost like 10 yards in distance too. Im not big into the comnbo sets and the ap1s arent forged the ap2s are really nice had a friend go from the burners to them scratch golfer and he loved them. They are also longer and more forgiving if you have the money id go more towards the ap2's out of your list. Another item coming out soon are the ping forged first ones in 40 years or something along thoes lines. But best to try them out you never know what you are going to like I thought i was 100% mizuno tried them out at the simulator at golf galaxy and tried the callaways and went with them great feel. Let me know what you choose!


I find it funny when people associate a forged iron with skill level. They have nothing to do with each other, forged and cast is just how the club's made.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by kennay92

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttdeuel214

Forged are a tough step up from a 10 handicap but try out the callaway x-forged i turned to thoes when I was about a 8 handicap and loved them easy transition and was hitting the ball much better. I tested out all the mizunos didn't really care for them lost like 10 yards in distance too. Im not big into the comnbo sets and the ap1s arent forged the ap2s are really nice had a friend go from the burners to them scratch golfer and he loved them. They are also longer and more forgiving if you have the money id go more towards the ap2's out of your list. Another item coming out soon are the ping forged first ones in 40 years or something along thoes lines. But best to try them out you never know what you are going to like I thought i was 100% mizuno tried them out at the simulator at golf galaxy and tried the callaways and went with them great feel. Let me know what you choose!

I find it funny when people associate a forged iron with skill level. They have nothing to do with each other, forged and cast is just how the club's made.


I agree.  As long as you can actually hit the golf ball you should be able to hit both....:)

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a difference your crazy you work the ball more with a forged club if you cant hit the ball in the center of the club you aint hitting it anywhere and you hit it inside or outside your going to feel it more and your going to hit it offline. A cavity back is more forgiving bigger club head your miss hits arnt going to be as bad still going to feel good. You deffently don't know much about golf clubs if you say they are the same why do you think they say for the better players? Most forged irons are for handicaps. Your maybe thinking the forged cavity backs like the brdgestones he mentioned but a true forged iron is harder to hit.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by ttdeuel214

There is a difference your crazy you work the ball more with a forged club if you cant hit the ball in the center of the club you aint hitting it anywhere and you hit it inside or outside your going to feel it more and your going to hit it offline. A cavity back is more forgiving bigger club head your miss hits arnt going to be as bad still going to feel good. You deffently don't know much about golf clubs if you say they are the same why do you think they say for the better players? Most forged irons are for handicaps. Your maybe thinking the forged cavity backs like the brdgestones he mentioned but a true forged iron is harder to hit.


Is this english?! Dude, grammar goes a long way in posts.  I am by no way perfect in my grammar, but I would like to think people can read my posts and understand what I am trying to say.  Most of this post doesn't even make sense.  Do us all a favor and proof read your posts before hitting submit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

But yea they are made different but when you make something different the clubs going to be different forged is smaller sweet spot. Its funny cus you use the J33 they are more of a cavity back forged your not even playing a more ture forged club. You can come hit my callaways and hit it inside or outside the center of the club face and we will see how far the balls goes and how it feels. graeme mcdowell was playing the callaway x-forged if there is no difference why doesnt he play the x-24s? You cant work the ball with cavity backs like you can forged. So go hit a true forged with a cavity back and tell me which one feels better on any hit your crazy.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by ttdeuel214

There is a difference your crazy you work the ball more with a forged club if you cant hit the ball in the center of the club you aint hitting it anywhere and you hit it inside or outside your going to feel it more and your going to hit it offline. A cavity back is more forgiving bigger club head your miss hits arnt going to be as bad still going to feel good. You deffently don't know much about golf clubs if you say they are the same why do you think they say for the better players? Most forged irons are for handicaps. Your maybe thinking the forged cavity backs like the brdgestones he mentioned but a true forged iron is harder to hit.


Here we go again.

What the poster above was saying is that 'forged' versus 'cast' has no impact on the design of the clubhead.  You've misinterpreted things.  Cavity backs can be forged, blades can be cast... the method of manufacture is irrelevant to the clubs playability, as playability and forgiveness are factors of size, width, weighting, CG, MOI, etc...

To the OP - Seems like you've got the right types of sets on your list.  Irons are all about fit and preference, so hit as many as you can and be sure to have the length, lie and shaft fit for you.

As a 10 handicap and a 'good' ballstriker, the AP2 or MP53 would get my vote for sure.  Better yet, buy my blades and I'll go grab a set of AP2s :)

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by ttdeuel214

No they said if you can hit a cavity back you can hit a forged thats not true.


You are still missing the point.  Whether an iron is cast or forged it has nothing to do with how difficult it is to hit.  It's how they manufacture the club.  If you want to talk about difficulty hitting an iron then you should be talking about Muscle back, and cavity back.  Not cast and forged.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything you are saying is incorrect.  I've hit cast blades that are unforgiving and forged GI cavity backs that are very forgiving.  The difference between the X-Forged and the X-24 irons has very little/nothing to do with forged vs cast.  Completely different design, location of sweet spot, MOI, perimeter weighting, type of metal used-all these things are chosen/engineered into the iron by the manufacturer.  Forged vs cast is the process by which they are made.  Player's irons are more likely to be forged than GI irons, and that's where the usual differences between the two become apparent.

BTW, the Callaway X-Forged are great clubs, but not particularly hard to hit or unforgiving.

Originally Posted by ttdeuel214

But yea they are made different but when you make something different the clubs going to be different forged is smaller sweet spot. Its funny cus you use the J33 they are more of a cavity back forged your not even playing a more ture forged club. You can come hit my callaways and hit it inside or outside the center of the club face and we will see how far the balls goes and how it feels. graeme mcdowell was playing the callaway x-forged if there is no difference why doesnt he play the x-24s? You cant work the ball with cavity backs like you can forged. So go hit a true forged with a cavity back and tell me which one feels better on any hit your crazy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In general, forged clubs tend to be more difficult to hitsince they usually are blade style clubs with a small sweet spot.  These styles allow expert golfers to shapeshots easier.  Cast clubs tend to be moregame improvement clubs with perimeter weighting and low center of gravityfeatures.  Forged clubs are moreexpensive because of the technology required to make them. Forged is also carbon made casting is stainless steel. What are you trying to say? Your basically saying cast is made the same as forged? I don't get it cus they are made different.

Link to post
Share on other sites

PEOPLE CASTING IS CAVITY BACKS FORGED IS JUST FORGED its made from carbon whole different process. Casting they just they just use the metal and make the head quick in short terms and is made poorly while forged is basicaly hand made after its been molded. You guys know nothing about irons. Buy the way 24 callaways are cast or cavity back big back to them more forgiveness higher moi or callaway x-forged is a forged made club small cavity back barly any harder to hit smaller moi.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
Originally Posted by ttdeuel214

PEOPLE CASTING IS CAVITY BACKS FORGED IS JUST FORGED its made from carbon whole different process. Casting they just they just use the metal and make the head quick in short terms and is made poorly while forged is basicaly hand made after its been molded. You guys know nothing about irons.

Looking past your insults, not only are you nowhere near correct enough to say things definitively. Not looking past your insulting tone, knock it off.

Let's get back to the original topic. This ain't it. ttdeuel, go here . Spend a lot of time reading, not behaving like you did in this thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades



Originally Posted by ttdeuel214

PEOPLE CASTING IS CAVITY BACKS FORGED IS JUST FORGED its made from carbon whole different process. Casting they just they just use the metal and make the head quick in short terms and is made poorly while forged is basicaly hand made after its been molded. You guys know nothing about irons. Buy the way 24 callaways are cast or cavity back big back to them more forgiveness higher moi or callaway x-forged is a forged made club small cavity back barly any harder to hit smaller moi.


Easy now... We know you just joined the forum and are chomping at the bit to be the interwebs golf champ... But calm down and realize you're not 100% correct.

Casting is pouring molten metal into a mold.  This mold can take any shape... a cavity back, a muscleback, a hotwheels toy.  Not all casting is done with stainless steel, most quality clubs are some variation of it...

Forging doesn't involved molten metal.  Metal is heated and forced into shape at high pressure.  Forging isn't always more expensive, as casting molds cost quite a bit to develop.  The raw material used during forging typically costs more than the material used in casting. Forged irons tend to be musclebacks (blades), although they are hundreds of examples of forged cavity back irons in recent history.  Carbon steel is commonly used when forging, but other types of steel are often used as well.

Blades aren't always forged.  Forged irons aren't always blades .  Using the two interchangeably and then proclaiming the idiocy of others doesn't do you any favors.

Welcome to the forum, measure twice and cut once.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A blade is a shape.  What makes you think you couldn't cast a club in the shape of a blade?  You're a "golf associate" but you've never heard of or hit a cast Cleveland blade?  You're woefully uninformed for the line of work you're in.

Originally Posted by ttdeuel214

I have never heard of a cast blade a cast blade they make forged blades or muscle back blades but never a cast blade if they did it would be more forgiving cus it would be a cavity back blade which is impossible people get your information right. I am a golf associate I need to know the differences between a cavity back and a forged blade( muscle back) or a regular forged club. Its crazy how you guys think forged clubs are casted and blades are casted lmao



Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This thread is 3814 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...