IGNORED

The shortest of super short chip shots

Robato
Note: This thread is 3565 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by mihi4

Usually I play this shot with my 60, open up the clubface at least 45 degrees, adjust the stance and play a regular chip at least for the first 2 yards on the green.

Better to have a comeback put with a chance to up&down;, than to leave it short and have to chip again.

greetings

michi

Thanks Michi. You are right on the money. Definitely, I feel a lot better with this shot if I accept the comeback putt. Its hard to imagine that the safest route to the hole is farther away, but it works. I made two shots like this in my last outing. Drilled both putts.

The three foot circle is three feet in the back too. ;P

Titleist 910D2 8.5° Diamana 'ahina 80 S
Titleist 909F3 3W 13° Diamana D83 S, Titleist 910f 5W 19° Fubuki Ax 80X
Taylormade RAC MB TP 3-PW Irons DG S300, Callaway Jaws 54° and 60°
Titleist Futura putter, Taylormade TP5 balls

• 2 weeks later...

Originally Posted by Robato

Thanks Michi. You are right on the money. Definitely, I feel a lot better with this shot if I accept the comeback putt. Its hard to imagine that the safest route to the hole is farther away, but it works. I made two shots like this in my last outing. Drilled both putts.

The three foot circle is three feet in the back too. ;P

Great to hear that it worked out for you! (For me, it's still indoor putting and long-game training on the range at least for the next month, can't wait to get on the course...)

greetings

michi

"I have my own golf course and Par is whatever I say it is. There's a hole which is a Par13 and yesterday I damn nearly birdied that sucker." - Willie Nelson

• 1 year later...

To update, I think Bunkerputt and The Gill are spot on. A putting motion with the 60 lob wedge works perfect! Ball pops up and clears about 2-3 yards, rolls another 2-3 yards. I'm going for the hole every time. Of course, using the putter should always come first. If I can putt it, I'll putt it. Putting with the hybrid also works if you can trust the consistency of the fringe.

Titleist 910D2 8.5° Diamana 'ahina 80 S
Titleist 909F3 3W 13° Diamana D83 S, Titleist 910f 5W 19° Fubuki Ax 80X
Taylormade RAC MB TP 3-PW Irons DG S300, Callaway Jaws 54° and 60°
Titleist Futura putter, Taylormade TP5 balls

Originally Posted by Aquaguru

I like to grab my 56, move the ball to my back foot, and use the same stroke and setup as I would if I were to putt it.  I use this for shots with alot of fringe (against grain) and when I'm just in the rough within 10 yards of the pin.  I use the same speed and backstroke as i would if I had a putt the same length.  The loft carries it over the fringe with low trajectory and rolls just like a putt.  I have to really trust myself because I always think I will either blow it by or stub one.  This works great for me often times leaving myself with a tap in or holing it out.

+1    same shot for me. With enough backspin the break is taken out of the first part of the roll. I'm hunting birds with this shot.

9* Geek No Brainer with red Stiff Gallofory shaft
15* R5 3 wood with Burner shaft
21* 24* Nike CPR hybrid Aldila by you shaft
5-pw Titleist 680 cb irons-SK Fiber graphite shafts
52*, 56*,60* Reid Lockhart Dual Bounce spinner shaftScotty Cameron Newport MidSlant with Tiger Shark GripTM LDP Red balls---used because I'm...

• 1 year later...
Hi I have a question similar to this. I played a new course that was firm where some of my wedges took big first bounces and I rolled just off the green. I am 2 inches into the rough, have 1.5 feet of fairway then 5 feet of green. The last 3 feet are flat, but the 3 feet of green down to my ball is rounded off, so I'm hitting either uphill, or I have to carry that and have 3 feet to work with. The rough is thin, and the soil is really soft so if you catch it fat or try and get under it like I usually do, you'll chunk it 1 foot. I ha this 3 times on the front all from wedges and failed to get up and down every time. So how should I play this, I tried hitting down on it not to hit it fat but never got it to stay near the hole. Thanks, hope that's not confusing

I was in the rough near a pin cut at the edge of the free only 6-7 feet from the hole and greenskeeper seem to allow the grass to grow thicker than usual in the fringe so the entire ball is covered by grass I also did not get up and down. What is frustrating is that seems like an easy shot but it easy to hit to hard and scoot the ball way pass or get too cute chipping and totally mishitting and leaving in the rough Lifting the heel and just popping it out with the toe of the wedge is a good option I tried a couple of different methods today that seem to work. If the ball is deep sometime a pop stroke with a putter or hybrid works well The other method is too belly wedge and hit a deliberate scull with leading edge of the wedge with a putting grip

Note: This thread is 3565 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!