IGNORED

Short thumb vs long thumb

Note: This thread is 3095 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would be interested hearing comments on which left (top hand) thumb position you use and why. This topic may have been posted before but any up to date comments or if you switched would be appreciated

PB
Canadian PGA Life Member
Peter Boyce Golf Academy
Strathroy, Ontario
:tmade:

Short thumb, because I used to use long, and found that I had more accuracy with short. It also helped me to swing in the form that I was trying to maintain.

Titleist 910D2 8.5° Diamana 'ahina 80 S
Titleist 909F3 3W 13° Diamana D83 S, Titleist 910f 5W 19° Fubuki Ax 80X
Taylormade RAC MB TP 3-PW Irons DG S300, Callaway Jaws 54° and 60°
Titleist Futura putter, Taylormade TP5 balls

No idea what you are talking about.  My thumb goes comfortably on the top of the grip in a natural position.  I use a neutral interlock grip, and I've never even worried about the left thumb.  It is what it is.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Fourputt

No idea what you are talking about.  My thumb goes comfortably on the top of the grip in a natural position.  I use a neutral interlock grip, and I've never even worried about the left thumb.  It is what it is.

Long thumb is just extending your left (front) thumb down the grip more. Short is the opposite. I don't really know the advantages/disadvantages of each one though.

Mine is sort of in the middle, but much closer to short rather than long.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

Long thumb is just extending your left (front) thumb down the grip more. Short is the opposite. I don't really know the advantages/disadvantages of each one though.

Mine is sort of in the middle, but much closer to short rather than long.

I think it was in Hogan's book that I saw the clearest explanation but I had figured it out as well. Short thumb makes the wrist stay "firm" at the top of the backswing, whereas long thumb gives the wrist more freedom to be "oily" and leads to "flippiness" (again, at least that's what I noticed with me).

Try this. Grip a club with short thumb, and cock your wrist (up/down only at address. Now do the same but with the thumb "long", i.e. that almost fully rests down the grip. It will be easier to cock way too much with the long thumb.

I use short thumb because then I don't need to focus so much on how much my wrist is cocking on the backswing to the top.

I use a short thumb.  My instructor built my grip and wanted me to use as short a thumb as possible.  I like it.

In my Bag:

Driver - SLDR 430 - 10.5 deg
3 Wood - SLDR HL
Irons - TM Tour CB's                                                                                                                                                                 Wedges - TM                                                                                                                                                                               Putter - Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball

I used to use a Long thumb but have switched to a Short thumb. With the long thumb I had a tendency to overcock my writs at the top. This would cause me to lose the grip a little bit with the butt of the club pulling away from my hand.I feel like I have more control at the top with the short thumb.

“You don't have the game you played last year or last week. You only have today's game. It may be far from your best, but that's all you've got. Harden your heart and make the best of it.”

~ Walter Hagen

• 2 years later...

Long thumb. This flattens the thumb against the handle. When I experiment with short thumb my thumb bends upward at the knuckle. I have a pretty neutral grip. If I need to hit it farther or with a draw I will strengthen the left hand grip by turning it right, exposing more knuckles and letting the pad of the left hand barely rest on top of the handle. A strong grip with 3 wood and driver means big duck hooks. I cannot use a strong grip with these clubs. If I let the meaty pad get on top of the handle, I will hit some scary hooks. Neutral to slightly weak left hand grip with the long clubs. Long thumb feels much more natural to me. My right hand can join with my left much easier .

Driver: Taylormade Superfast 2.0.  9.5 Stiff Reax 4.8

3 Wood: Taylormade Superfast 2.0 Loft 15 Stiff  Reax 4.8

Irons: Mizuno MP-64 4 iron. MP-69, 5-PW, DG S-300 Shafts. 

Wedges: Mizuno MP T-11, 50 (gap) and 56 (sand).   

Putter: Odyssey Two Ball putter (circa 2004) 

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Originally Posted by mvmac

Long thumb

Never seen someone so excited to make a video...

I don't think about my thumb... I guess I'm closer to long now that I think about it. But I have almost no flexibilty in my wrist so I can't make it "oily" and over cock.

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

I've gone from long to short to long again in the last year or so. It makes a difference, but not a huge difference.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

From another thread but fits here

Originally Posted by boogielicious

OK, now we need pictures.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Exactly.  If James hadn't mentioned it to you before, then it's not important for you.  I was mainly just trying to let the instructors know that when they need to give that piece of advice, to consider saying it exactly like Mike said it, because that was a lot clearer to me than how James had been saying it previously.

Good illustrations GD, obviously you're doing it with a putter grip so the grip is a little weak.  Couple other pics

Originally Posted by Talldude

Can you explain the different results you get with long & short left thumbs?  Steve Elkington & Hogan advice using a short left thumb.  Thanks!

Hogan felt it shortened his swing, look at all the "lag" he created and you can see how flexible his wrists/hands were.  Elk also likes a short thumb because he feels it helps the shaft "sit" on the bone of the left arm, probably talking about the radius bone.  I actually think the left thumb being stretched out offers more support and more mobility of the left wrist hinge, up and down motion.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/43269/short-thumb-vs-long-thumb#post_830030

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I remember Greg Norman say, grip the club with your left hand, then pull your thumb up the grip, adding pressure. He also believe this way you didn't have to extend extra grip pressure with the left hand, shortening the thumb puts all the grip pressure you need.

Personally, i haven't thought about it, i'll take a look when i get home. I feel like my grip isn't right anways :p

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I did not want to respond again to Erik or Golfingdad in the other thread because it was getting off topic.  To what Erik said I was not asking for sake of my own swing but for the sake of knowledge.  I am very happy with my grip now and James was happy with it as well.  Just trying to learn as much reference information as I can.  Thanks to Golfingdad and Mike for sharing this terminology.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I met a guy once - he became a playing buddy - who had only been playing for ~5 yrs but was already scoring in the 70s and regularly drove around 300. I noticed his left thumb actually peeked out of his right hand 'V' (really long left thumb). So, I tried it some, but felt way too weird so returned to a short thumb.

dak4n6

I believe the right hand (when placed on top of the left) should completely hide the left thumb. I don't think you should be able to see your left thumb when looking down at your grip while at address. I believe a long thumb allows the left thumb to be seen when looking down at your grip---as it kind of pokes through the space between right thumb and index finger. Short thumb is more aesthetically pleasing and looks more conventional IMHO.  Short or medium thumb. Not long

Driver: Taylormade Superfast 2.0.  9.5 Stiff Reax 4.8

3 Wood: Taylormade Superfast 2.0 Loft 15 Stiff  Reax 4.8

Irons: Mizuno MP-64 4 iron. MP-69, 5-PW, DG S-300 Shafts. 

Wedges: Mizuno MP T-11, 50 (gap) and 56 (sand).   

Putter: Odyssey Two Ball putter (circa 2004) 

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

• 10 months later...

The conventionally known "proper" way to hold the club is with the left thumb high and gripping just in the fingers.

However, beginners will often hold the club deeper in the palm area of the hand and as a result have the thumb slightly extended down the shaft.

Well, I've always golfed the latter way.  Anyone else?

If I understand you, are you saying you have the club more in your palm, with your thumb wrapping slightly around the grip, or just laying flat, and on top of the grip..?

My club is in my fingers, and my left thumb lays flat along the top of the club, or close to it. My right thumb them lays on top of my left thumb, with my pinky, ring, and middle fingers doing 99.99% of the holding on.

Note: This thread is 3095 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!