IGNORED

My Swing (coachjimsc)

coachjimsc
Note: This thread is 1155 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 hours ago, coachjimsc said:

Sure I can do it here off a mat. Then I have to do it off of grass. Then I have to do it on the range, then the course, with someone watching, someone keeping score, league play, tournament play, over water, with OB left, etc. etc.

I hope you don't mind me asking questions on your swing thread, but how difficult of a transition was it for you? Were you able to achieve the goal fairly quickly while practicing from on the mat but more difficult a change to apply when ball flight became part of the equation?

I ask because I've found the transition extremely difficult.

Nice work on the changes. FWIW, it's impressive that someone with such a low handicap works so hard to get even better.

Jon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, coachjimsc said:

I have tried my best to be a Stupid Monkey. I hit a few bumps in the road along the way. My scores suffered early in the season while attempting to make this change. About late May I started to execute it better. Then my tournament scores started to show it. 76, 74, 72, 68 and 71.

It’s been a great journey sticking to ONE thing that I know would improve my swing and hence my scoring. I will continue this path until I feel I am ready for the next piece or Erik tells me otherwise.

I enjoyed looking through your swing thread and am encouraged by your success from practicing the right way.  I'm about 3 months in to going about it the right way and hope to get to the point where I too can see the results (scores) that you are shooting. Congrats and keep up the hard work. 

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

1 hour ago, JonMA1 said:

I hope you don't mind me asking questions on your swing thread, but how difficult of a transition was it for you? Were you able to achieve the goal fairly quickly while practicing from on the mat but more difficult a change to apply when ball flight became part of the equation?

The transition is difficult in the beginning initially. Mostly from the change in where your new misses end up. I was used to my primary miss being a big draw. I had some high scores in my league and in tournaments. Aiming a little right waiting for the draw, only to go straight or a push right. As I progressed the shot cone got smaller. Took about 6 months to really start to kick in.

1 hour ago, JonMA1 said:

I ask because I've found the transition extremely difficult.

Yes it is. You just have to stay the course and trust in the process.

I believe this is why so many people give up too soon on truly changing their swings.

Golf is hard, changing your golf swing is harder! ;-)

1 hour ago, Wanzo said:

I enjoyed looking through your swing thread and am encouraged by your success from practicing the right way.  I'm about 3 months in to going about it the right way and hope to get to the point where I too can see the results (scores) that you are shooting. Congrats and keep up the hard work. 

Thanks @Wanzo. Keep at it you'll get there.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Did some right hip away from the wall work at lunch today.

Hard to see but I have a yellow alignment stick in the ground next to my right hip.

Just trying to turn away from that. A little different feel than trying to keep it up against a stick on the left hip. I was able to execute it better.

Jim Morgan

• 2 weeks later...

Videos from yesterdays short game practice session. 3-04-17

Trying a new pencil grip with the right hand. Hopefully this takes out some of the right hand.

Some chips. Trying to keep clubhead behind the hands.

DTL.

Pitch video trying to rotate more thru impact.

Jim Morgan

• 2 weeks later...

Some net work today. 6 iron and driver. Drills working up to full (not full speed) swings.

Working on moving right shoulder out on the downswing.

• Upvote 1

Jim Morgan

• 1 month later...

Range session last night.

Working on keeping the left hip on the alignment stick in the back swing. I have gotten a little sloppy with this. When my hips drift back and don't stay centered my shot cone widens. Especially on the left side. No good for business.

DTL still need to rotate more, rotate more... (broken record). Flat shoulder turn. No right side crunch to speak of... blah blah blah. Same sh^% as always. I'll just keep working on it until hopefully, one day, it gets ingrained.

Jim Morgan

• 3 weeks later...

I set up a little work station over the weekend.

The PVC is for not letting my right knee shoot towards the ball on the downswing. Which in turn keeps my hips/butt up against the wall much better.

I have an alignment stick thru my belt loops so I can see what my hips are doing. I’m trying to rotate thru impact sooner, faster and more.

These are short backswings for this practice session. 

When the PVC is not there I can still imagine its there and not let that knee move towards the target line.

Up until this drill, nothing has really worked to consistantly keep my hip girdle back against the wall.

So another year or so working with this should do the trick!:whistle:

Jim Morgan

On 4/26/2017 at 11:33 AM, coachjimsc said:

DTL still need to rotate more, rotate more... (broken record). Flat shoulder turn. No right side crunch to speak of... blah blah blah. Same sh^% as always. I'll just keep working on it until hopefully, one day, it gets ingrained.

I fight the flat shoulder turn often so I feel your pain.  One thing I noticed about your driver setup is that you look a bit upright to me.  I think you might want to bend over from the hips a bit more...i've done that in the past and it's helped me feel that left shoulder point towards the ground on the backswing.  A few swings with the alignment stick or club across your chest/shoulders and you should start to see the club pointing closer to the ball instead of further away from you...like below. Your iron swings look good...the driver shoulder turn is flat.

18382382_1922214284721770_65092625576084

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

1 hour ago, NCGolfer said:

I think you might want to bend over from the hips a bit more...i've done that in the past and it's helped me feel that left shoulder point towards the ground on the backswing

Thanks Dave. I really appreciate your input.

Funny that you mentioned the bending at the hips more. I was actually working on that exact thing on Sunday. I didn't post the video because the setting sun blurred it out.

compare.thumb.JPG.33131b6a30f5e965d1fbd3efeb2ed7c6.JPG

Setup was better. Shoulder tilt still needs more work. I do it pretty well with the irons but when the ball is on the tee... it freaks me out to feel the left shoulder that close to the ball.

Then @mvmac posted this pic of a young Nicklaus with his driver...

591c8b132c939_nicklausdriver.JPG.fa07f2151b47c8a80aeaf4e54de8b4c8.JPG

I don't get my left shoulder that low with a lob wedge!

Jim Morgan

I recently had a Sam PuttLab analysis. Very interesting exercise and I would highly recommend it if you are having issues with you’re putting.

One caveat is to make sure at your location they are actually qualified and trained to analyze your putting stroke. Not just try to sell you a putter.

Good thing here was my current putter does fit me well. On to the results…

20170505_085417_0001.thumb.jpg.d84148f294e9bec6a3ac8be180d65be4.jpg

I made 9 strokes the first go round (7 holed). The first thing that comes up is my Aiming Report at address. My Score and Consistency were pretty high for this one. So I was happy about that.

20170505_085417_0005.thumb.jpg.04b8a622d9d5411503fdf5ff1c86206c.jpg

Direction. Face at impact was okay, but the Path at impact is not so good. Which explains a lot about my inconsistencies inside of 10 feet. On longer putts +30 I tend to miss right. Which also mirrors my full swing.

Face on path at impact is 3.0 deg closed. I tend to miss short putts inside 10 feet to the left.

20170505_085417_0003.thumb.jpg.dd9c4d59f80d95652509cf9588145a2a.jpg

Path and Spot are not very good at all. Path 2.6 deg right also explains a lot. Could this be a setup too closed issue? Backswing Ratio, I had to look that one up. Obviously the backswing is too long and is taking way too much time. I have actually been working on speeding up the backswing and was trying to on these putts, still wasn’t fast enough.

20170505_085417_0006.thumb.jpg.50902a51f12c32cc3b3672f42160ca00.jpg

These numbers look alright except for the Rise angle. Maybe move the ball back in the stance a bit?

20170505_085417_0002.thumb.jpg.167355b17d334cf0908535a398cad938.jpg

Face rotation. My scores say it’s okay, but I feel like that is too much rotation and 3.5 closing is not good.

So do I try and make a more vertical shoulder turn to help reduce Face Rotation?

20170505_085417_0004.thumb.jpg.10e628a503db32a6f56a7774c29e2cd7.jpg

Movement Dynamics is the one I really wanted to see. Am I accelerating into impact?

20170505_085417_0004a.thumb.jpg.7cf6ea40bfe0d633e8ad5c61d0ab275e.jpg

Kind of a mixed bag here. Some look okay.

In conclusion and not going into the long story of why my questions did not get answered at my analysis, but if anyone who has experience with a Sam PuttLab can offer any advice to a few of my questions (@mvmac or @iacas?) would be much appreciated.

• Upvote 2

Jim Morgan

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, coachjimsc said:

20170505_085417_0005.thumb.jpg.04b8a622d9d5411503fdf5ff1c86206c.jpg

Direction. Face at impact was okay, but the Path at impact is not so good. Which explains a lot about my inconsistencies inside of 10 feet. On longer putts +30 I tend to miss right. Which also mirrors my full swing.

Face on path at impact is 3.0 deg closed. I tend to miss short putts inside 10 feet to the left.

Of course it's "closed to the path" - your path is way right.

I wouldn't worry about this much at all - 2.6° right is not that bad. The path of the putter head is barely important.

I would worry about the 6.6° up AoA. That's really high and you're going to launch the ball too high in the air on longer putts.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@coachjimsc Very cool reading through this thread. Your progression is motivating. Just curious, you show being 1.0 index now, where did you start 6 years ago?

Edited by byrne092

Driver: :tmade: SLDR

Woods: :ping: Rapture 3 Wood

Hybrid: :tmade: R7 Rescue 3H

Irons: :mizuno: JPX900 HM 4-GW

Putter: :odyssey: OG White Hot

1 hour ago, byrne092 said:

@coachjimsc Very cool reading through this thread. Your progression is motivating. Just curious, you show being 1.0 index now, where did you start 6 years ago?

I believe it was a 2.8 or so. 

Getting those last few off are the hardest. 

Thank you for the kind words. 

Jim Morgan

On 5/23/2017 at 3:12 PM, iacas said:

I would worry about the 6.6° up AoA. That's really high and you're going to launch the ball too high in the air on longer putts.

Took this under advisement and worked on keeping the putter head lower on the follow thru.

What was my normal stroke on the left. My new attempt at a lower AoA on the right.

I setup two tees low to the ground. I tried to get the putter head as close as possible to the forward tee post impact. 

Definitely hit the ball more solid. Also my head does not tip back on the new stroke. I knew my follow thru was high but that's ridiculously high.

Jim Morgan

• 4 weeks later...

Now that I'm settled into my new place, time to get back to working on the swing.

Went to the range on Saturday. Doing my usual pivot drills with a 7 iron. Trying to keep the left shoulder low and around thru impact.

These are about 75% swings. Really like the ball flight of these two swings. Did miss the camera angle on the toe line a bit.

Also hit balls into the net on Sunday. Doing the same stuff just trying to exaggerate more.

And front view.

Jim Morgan

• 5 weeks later...

Worked on more "get open drills" last night. As this will be my quest for the rest of my golfing life. ;-)

Trying to keep my left hip low and turning immediately on the downswing. 

Jim Morgan

Note: This thread is 1155 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!