IGNORED

Davis Love III Ryder Cup Captain

Quinn07
Note: This thread is 4833 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What do you guys think about this, now that it's official?  Couple of great players as captains in 2012.  I am not sure that he's going to be what the US will need against an increasingly tough Euro team.  I think Olazabal will be a better captain just because of his strong spanish personality.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

I think Davis Love III will be a great Captain. Hopefully we can bring the cup home this time!!

Cleveland Hibore XLS Driver: Nike Ignite2 Irons: Adams SW and LW: Odyssey White Hot Mallet: Bridgestone e6 and TreoSoft Balls etc...

Interesting stereotype.  I think DL3 will be a better captain because he's a turkey hunter.

Originally Posted by Quinn07

I think Olazabal will be a better captain just because of his strong spanish personality.

Originally Posted by JayMc

Interesting stereotype.  I think DL3 will be a better captain because he's a turkey hunter.

Quote:

I think Olazabal will be a better captain just because of his strong spanish personality.

What stereotype are you referring to?  It's well known that Jose has a strong vibrant personality.  Watch any Ryder cup that he was apart of and it's clear that there is a lot of passion there. I would agree if hunting was one of the matches in the Ryder Cup, unfortunately for Davis that's not the case.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

There will be so many younger players on the US Ryder Cup this time around, that I think having a low-key, stabilizing personality will be beneficial. And anyway, the most important part of being the captain is not the rousing speeches, but how he selects the lineups.  DL3 knows how this works.

Olazabal will likewise be a good captain.  But in the end it seems to boil down to who sinks the putts when it counts.

Originally Posted by Harmonious

There will be so many younger players on the US Ryder Cup this time around, that I think having a low-key, stabilizing personality will be beneficial. And anyway, the most important part of being the captain is not the rousing speeches, but how he selects the lineups.  DL3 knows how this works.

Olazabal will likewise be a good captain.  But in the end it seems to boil down to who sinks the putts when it counts.

I agree, but I think if we look back at the Azinger win, the captain can play a huge roll in providing that team unity.  Definitely going to be interesting.  I am not saying Davis is going to be a bad captain, I just think that Jose Maria will have a stronger presence and influence on his team.  It might give them a bit of an edge.

I think both will be good captains. The only thing that I would not look forward to over the next 2 years would be the question....'what are you going to do different to help bring the Ryder Cup home?' Every time he steps before a mic from this point forward he will get ask that question or something similar. That would get old to me.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

Originally Posted by MSDOGS1976

I think both will be good captains. The only thing that I would not look forward to over the next 2 years would be the question....'what are you going to do different to help bring the Ryder Cup home?' Every time he steps before a mic from this point forward he will get ask that question or something similar. That would get old to me.

Allow the players to use their own equipment, but rebranded with the "US Ryder Cup Team" logo, then strongly suggest the players keep the Ryder Cup in mind when planning their schedule. I mean, who really cares how many points they racked up before June, when the tournament is in the fall. And work on the pressure chips - no more chilli dips!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Just busting your stones a bit re: the spaniard.  Just because DL3 can't do a proper fist pump and he prisses a bit when he walks don't let him fool you.  He's a competitor and wants the role as bad as anybody.  I plan to be at Medinah in 2012....hopefully celebrating a US victory!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayMc

Quote:

What stereotype are you referring to?  It's well known that Jose has a strong vibrant personality.  Watch any Ryder cup that he was apart of and it's clear that there is a lot of passion there. I would agree if hunting was one of the matches in the Ryder Cup, unfortunately for Davis that's not the case.

My son is named "Davis", so I think Davis Love will be a great captain!!  We were trying to think of boys names and he won a tournament a couple of weeks before my son was born.

Davis Love is very level headed and that will help keep emotions is check, which will help a younger squad.  Olazabal is a good choice for Europe too.  Should be fun.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4833 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!