IGNORED

custom length clubs for tall beginner?

Note: This thread is 4787 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi guys,

I just recently picked up golf (maybe 2 months ago), I am still fairly terrible but see myself  continuing golf for quite some time and was considering getting myself a set of clubs. Now I am fairly tall(6"3) and have a wrist to floor measure of 36 1/4, suggesting id need slightly longer clubs. My question is now is it worth getting custom fit clubs at this stage for a very minor length adjustment? I am not ready to spend large sums at this time.

Thank you

I'm 6'5 and like Adams clubs.  Their clubs are often one inch longer than standard.  Get yourself measured by a pro, my ideal club length is actually 1.5" over standard.  I don't feel comfortable playing standard length clubs, but I can play well with 1 inch to 1.5 inch over standard clubs.

Now there are some players, Stewart Cink (6'4") for example, that measure one inch+ over standard, but prefer playing with standard length clubs.

My recommendation would be to go to a store, get measured, then hit #6 or #7 rons of different lengths.  Most people will be most comfortable with the measured length, but your preference might vary.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

YES YES YES YES

Get fitted for EVERY SINGLE CLUB. It's more important now as a beginner than ever. Alot of stores do the fitting on the house if you buy the irons through them. Ping, Taylormade, Titleist, Mizuno all have great fitting systems. (well at least the shaft optimizer by Mizuno is awesome)

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

Get fitted! You can get a decent set of irons for $300 or less at Dick's Sporting Goods. If you're planning on sticking with golf, don't cheat yourself and by a cheap combo set that you'll be replacing in a year or two.

Cleveland Hibore XLS Driver: Nike Ignite2 Irons: Adams SW and LW: Odyssey White Hot Mallet: Bridgestone e6 and TreoSoft Balls etc...

I say buy for purpose. If you buy cheap and I have you replace sooner. Why waste your hard earned money on cheap equipment that can't grow with your game?

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

As a beginner, you need what is called a static fitting. The clubfitter takes a look at your height and arm length, and makes sure the clubs have the right shaft length and lie angle for your build. Clubfitters can make adjustments to clubs at a nominal cost - it's not the same expense as custom fitted.

The more complex dynamic fittings don't do beginners any good, since beginner swings change so much from round to round. It takes awhile for your swing to stabilize.

Also, as a beginner you should take some private lessons, or go to a group golf clinic for beginners. Successful self-taught golfers are few and far between. A good pro can look at your physical assets and help you develop a sound, basic swing.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by WUTiger

As a beginner, you need what is called a static fitting. The clubfitter takes a look at your height and arm length, and makes sure the clubs have the right shaft length and lie angle for your build. Clubfitters can make adjustments to clubs at a nominal cost - it's not the same expense as custom fitted.

The more complex dynamic fittings don't do beginners any good, since beginner swings change so much from round to round. It takes awhile for your swing to stabilize.

Also, as a beginner you should take some private lessons, or go to a group golf clinic for beginners. Successful self-taught golfers are few and far between. A good pro can look at your physical assets and help you develop a sound, basic swing.

+1.  Spot on advice.

I'm also 6-3 and started playing 3 years ago.  I bought an inexpensive set of Slazengers (irons, 3 wood*, driver, bag for $299) and was able to hit in the 70's- low 80's with them after about 1 year.  I found out when I bought new clubs about 8 months ago that the cheap set of clubs was actually 1/2" longer then standard.  I now play 1" longer on ALL my clubs, all irons LW - 4, 3 and 5 wood are 1" over and my driver is 1 1/2" over (47.5"). My irons are also 4 1/2* upright which adds slightly more to the length.

More then that though, my grips are 1/16" over size and it makes a huge difference.

I was fit by an excellent club fitter and I'm now going through the process of re=shafting, woods and drivers to have them fit my swing and ball flight.

As stated above, I'd do just a static fit until you groove a particular swing before dropping money on custom clubs.  Your swing WILL change, therefore changing your clubs.  Even with your current clubs you can learn alot about your swing and shoot some low scores as you improve.  Great clubs are not a neccessity to shoot low scores.

*******So cheap that after about 8 months I noticed that I had dented the face of the 3 wood smack on the sweet spot.  Thats not a good thing for accuracy : )

Driver Callaway Diablo Edge --- Custom Sonartec 3, 5 and 7 woods made +1" stiff shafts --- Irons 5-L Ping G10 +1" 4.5* upright reg shafts --- ---Putter Tiger Shark

I'll echo the advice above.  For a tall golfer, having the correct club length and lie will definitely make a big difference for you.  As WUTiger said, a full dynamic fitting won't do you much good until you've "grooved" your swing and are consistent with it.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

5/11/2007

I am 6'8'' and play with clubs extended 1.5 inches (only becuase they will not extend them farther). I like to stand more upright (go figure), but my putter is the standard 35''. I feel like I am hunched over like crazy, or should be...

Now

Still 6’8” but now play with 2.5 extended shafts and my putter is 39 inches. I can now stand up right and hold my spine angle much better.

I agree with all the above posts. Go get a fitting, and take some lessons. I did both at a PGA Tour Superstore from the same pro (I know there is not much access to them but I am lucky to have one 20 minutes from the house). It was a great experience and would recommend a fitting to anyone tall or short. Having the pro give me a couple of lessons and then do the fitting was awesome. The first year I had my properly fitting set I dropped 8 strokes off my handicap.

If you just want a quick idea on what kind of adjustments you need, you can go to the GigaGolf site, plug in your stats, and it will give you a general idea of your length and lie adjustments.

I'd take that info, go to wherever it is, you're going to get fitted and use that as a starting point.  But if you're that tall, you're hurting yourself by getting things standard...

What up nuck!?!

Great idea.  You can also do this on the PING site (well, at least you could...).

Originally Posted by nuck81

If you just want a quick idea on what kind of adjustments you need, you can go to the GigaGolf site, plug in your stats, and it will give you a general idea of your length and lie adjustments.

I'd take that info, go to wherever it is, you're going to get fitted and use that as a starting point.  But if you're that tall, you're hurting yourself by getting things standard...

I am 6'9" and whenever I walk into a Golfshop the clerks or the manager will tell me I need at least 2 inch longer club, just by looking at me blocking the sunlight in his face, lowering my head when stepping into the door, etc......

They allways can tell so without measurements.

I don't say they see this totally wrong, but even without taking proper measurements they will almost allways advise tooooooo long clubs, and mostly they will also tell me I need 2* - 4* upright lies, without even looking to my swing.

If it would be allowed to shoot these poor advise guys, most shops would end up with very few crewmembers.

For a tall guy, I have a relatively flat swing, so the advise to get 4* upright lies, would be a very bad advise, I have long arms and when I let them hang in striking position, they might well be near as low as mr. average, so when buying 2 inch longer shafts I also need to buy a permit to work the fairways, digging the blades deep into the ground or the clubs forcing me to alter my prefered natural stance.

All I am saying ........ most guys that are playing with 2 or even more inches lengthened clubs, might have been fitted by just looking at them.

When I read a 25 hc. having a driver of 47.5 inches ....... no surprise having a 25 hc..........

I can play with standard length clubs, but I play my irons lengthened 1.25" and am holding them at about 0.75" positions, I use standard lies and maybe I will go to 1* or 2* flat lies soon. My hybrids and fairway woods are standard length and my driver is even 1" shorter than standard...... as it is nearly impossible to handle 46 or 47 inch shafts, without hitting them all over the place.

So my advise would be to be careful with overlengthened clubs and have your impacts checked with lie tape ...... it is so damned easy to say that you need 2" inch plus and upright lies, by just looking at you ...... maybe it is best, to walk out a shop whenever the first thing a clerk says is telling you you need lengthened clubs and adjusted lies, before he has seen you striking a few balls.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Originally Posted by WUTiger

The problem with static fitting a beginner is this......for one the height and arm length is total crap. ( for lack of a better word). Its a way big manufacturers sell the idea of "custom fit". The only way to properly get your lie angle is to dynamically hit off a lie board. You give a player a longer club only if they can hit the sweet spot.

I think that your idea of dynamic fitting and mine are very different. The whole idea of dynamic fitting is to get the player a proper balanced swing motion, then fit them to clubs that allow them to make this motion. So if your a beginner, you can actually start to develop as a player instead of learning bad swing techniques by using equipment that was "statically" fit to you. I agree you don't fit a bad swing...( which is what static fitting is)... here you hook, or slice....take this club that will take care of that.The only time static fitting works is if the swing is perfect, meaning you have a balanced motion, your swing path is great, blah blah..so most tour players are statically fit. Most amateurs should never be statically fit!

There are a couple things you can do........

1. Go outside and swing with your eyes shut, just trusting your balance. You can have a teacher show you the fundamentals, and the only thing you should be worrying about is hitting your balance.

2. then either take your old clubs and go get dynamically fit, and get your clubs adjusted to the specs your given...( this is cheaper then getting a new set of statically fit clubs, most of the time) You would be much better off having a 20 year old set of clubs with the correct lie and loft then a brand new set of clubs with the wrong lie and lofts with a good shaft. At least now you can start to develop, and play without compensating for your ill fitted clubs.

3. when you are ready, meaning really when you feel like your balanced go get dynamically fit to a new set by a qualified fitter.  They will make sure your in your best athletic balanced motion then fit you with every aspect of the club working to help you develop as a player, rather then compensating for what your doing wrong in your swing. This is why to really dynamically fit, you have to be a teacher/fitter.

Equipment has not changed much in the last 10 years, there is a lot of new colors on the bottom of the drivers, but don't get fooled by all the marketing.

This is not accurate at all, and should never be used. This is the most ass backwards thing I have ever seen......they have dynamic fitting and static fitting backwards, and they have no idea what either one means.

Originally Posted by jldavis73

What up nuck!?!

Great idea.  You can also do this on the PING site (well, at least you could...).

No seriously this is the worst thing ever........This is why people think that they should be using the same equipment as tour players.....this is why people cant understand why their ball goes left or right.....this is made from people who are just trying to get you in and out the door spending more money on "custom" clubs. The average golfer cant break 100....this is why!   You cant take measurements like this and then have people believe they have custom clubs....then they will always believe the reason the shank the ball is because they were "coming over the top, hitting up, hitting down, inside, outside,...never realizing that their clubs are designed to go that way, and the only reason they ever have a good shot is because they have compensated so much they finally found a way to hit the sweet spot..( although they are falling backwards, fore wards, awkward, goofiest swing ever.)......talk about a total scam!

You might as well buy off the rack.

think of this....If your playing the same loft on your driver as tour players 10 degrees or lower and you don't have a super high SS....and you hit it straight....you are somehow compensating. A low lofted driver with a low swing speed, and a balanced motion ( transferring of weight) the ball should slice...so instead of getting more loft so you can still make a good motion and not kill your back, and take out all your natural ability....you would change your swing to hit a club that makes your motion unbalanced and just bad. ( usually flat footed, hanging back, not transferring weight...you are adding loft). You loose distance, accuracy, and most important you are condemned to that swing. You cant go anywhere from there....doesn't matter how many lessons you get, if you are using equipment that's to strong the equipment will dictate you swing. So you tell me what you should do.......have a good balanced motion with clubs that encourage that motion, or have an unbalanced motion because your clubs are forcing you to do so.

Originally Posted by golfernc

A bunch of pretentious nonsense...

What are you even talking about?  The dude wants to know how much longer his clubs should be than standard.

Were you just trying to prove you're awesome? Cause you're awesome....

What are you even talking about?  The dude wants to know how much longer his clubs should be than standard.

Were you just trying to prove you're awesome? Cause you're awesome....

No not at all, I'm trying to explain that the only way to know what length you should play is to be fitted properly. If your going to invest in getting clubs you should at least not be ripped off. Just because your 6'2, 6'3 5'5 or whatever does not mean that you would even benefit from longer clubs...maybe you would, maybe you wont. Static measurements are not accurate at all. Your right about not using standard...nobody should.

The OP stated: "I am not ready to spend large sums at this time."  I recommended checking on the websites because it is free, and will give the guy an idea if he needs to change the length of his clubs.  Not ideal, but will yield better results than just staying with OTR equipment.  Dynamic fitting is ideal, but is more expensive and time consuming.

Originally Posted by golfernc

No not at all, I'm trying to explain that the only way to know what length you should play is to be fitted properly. If your going to invest in getting clubs you should at least not be ripped off. Just because your 6'2, 6'3 5'5 or whatever does not mean that you would even benefit from longer clubs...maybe you would, maybe you wont. Static measurements are not accurate at all. Your right about not using standard...nobody should.

Note: This thread is 4787 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!