IGNORED

My Swing (CassinoNorth)

CassinoNorth
Note: This thread is 4829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recorded some videos at the store today. The driver didn't really come out too great so I only got this of me with a 9 iron. Slow mo of both angles is at the end.

About me:

Handicap: 14.8

Driver swing speed: 112-115 mph

Been playing since I was about 15 (with a crappy Wilson box set until this summer) and this past summer I just started getting serious about my game. Whenever I played I used to be high 90's/low 100's but my iron play was always great (worked on a Par 3 course 2 summers ago with greens the size of a quarter so I am pretty deadly from 150 on in) My scores before I got a set that fit me were probably due to the fact that my clubs were Men's flex and about as stiff as a wet noodle.

Clubs:

TaylorMade R9 9.5* AXE+6 Stiff
TaylorMade V Steel 15* 3 wood
Adams Idea Black Super Hybrid 19*
Nike VR Split Cavities Dynamic Gold S300
Vokey Spin Milled 48* PW
Vokey Spin Milled 52* GW
Vokey Spin Milled 56* SW
Vokey Spin Milled 60* LW
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
TaylorMade Penta

Distances:

Driver: 290

3 wood: 270

19* hyb: 250

4 iron: 220

5 iron: 205

6 iron: 190

7 iron: 175

8 iron: 160

9 iron: 145

Pw: 125

Gw: 110

Sw: 90

Lw: 75

and the video:

Should be done converting in a bit.

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

Thursday is wing night at my local pub. Who doesn't love chicken wings?!?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

a little like john daly i think. flatten out your plane a little bit. you wrists look a little cupped to me. plus i have a feeling you might be swinging a bit to hard. remember irons should only be hit at 80 percent. cant properly swing the club and release if you swing to hard. its about speed not how hard you hit it. if you do everything right the speed will come you shouldnt have to force it.

- i also see a little bit of a hip slide on your backswing.

you keep the clubface super super shut in your backswing and that is what causes your right elbow to fly out a lot.  try taking a few slow backswings while keeping your right elbow connected directly to your body in an exagurated way.  and do this without trying to hold the face way closed with your hands.  this should give you the feeling of a little more of a normal backswing... keep in mind i am not saying that your arm has to be fixed to your body in your whole backswing, its just to get the feeling.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/thread/28081/swing-extender

:-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by CassinoNorth

Handicap: 14.8

Driver swing speed: 112-115 mph

You're definitely athletic enough to play well - extension/release is about all I see (hence my earlier jackassery).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Thursday is wing night at my local pub. Who doesn't love chicken wings?!?

I actually went to wing night at my local pub tonight... Thursday must be the international day for spicy, deep-fried endeavors.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Take a look at these positions of grant waites swing.

In this pic you will see that on the takaway the shaft of his club points back down at the target line "the white line".

takaway.jpg

In this pic you will see that at the top of his swing the position of his right elbow and that its pointing towards the ground "the white line".

The face of his club is parallel to his left forearm "the blue lines".

at the top.jpg

In this pic during his down swing the shaft of the club is right back on thre white line pointing down at the target line.

down swing.jpg

Work on these three things and you will see a big improvement.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

Originally Posted by iacas

Was looking at this the other day, definitely seems simple and effective enough.

Originally Posted by jpd5184

a little like john daly i think. flatten out your plane a little bit. you wrists look a little cupped to me. plus i have a feeling you might be swinging a bit to hard. remember irons should only be hit at 80 percent. cant properly swing the club and release if you swing to hard. its about speed not how hard you hit it. if you do everything right the speed will come you shouldnt have to force it.

The wrist cupping is probably cause I'm nursing a right thumb injury. My grip has always been strong but never quite on that level. I was a bit appalled when I saw that on video. In terms of over swinging, I don't think so. According to the Mizzy shaft optimizer I swing my irons about 88-90 mph which is about 80% of my driver so I guess that's about right. And hip slide, absolutely. It's not as dramatic as it used to be though. Glad to see progress in that area though.

Originally Posted by westcyderydin

you keep the clubface super super shut in your backswing and that is what causes your right elbow to fly out a lot.  try taking a few slow backswings while keeping your right elbow connected directly to your body in an exagurated way.  and do this without trying to hold the face way closed with your hands.  this should give you the feeling of a little more of a normal backswing... keep in mind i am not saying that your arm has to be fixed to your body in your whole backswing, its just to get the feeling.

Good advice. I definitely see what you're saying with the right elbow.

Originally Posted by walk18

You're standing too close to the ball.

Yep. Definitely agree.

Originally Posted by EverythingGolf

Take a look at these positions of grant waites swing.

In this pic you will see that on the takaway the shaft of his club points back down at the target line "the white line".

In this pic you will see that at the top of his swing the position of his right elbow and that its pointing towards the ground "the white line".

The face of his club is parallel to his left forearm "the blue lines".

In this pic during his down swing the shaft of the club is right back on thre white line pointing down at the target line.

Work on these three things and you will see a big improvement.

Good stuff. I agree with all that too. The over cocking in the back swing will definitely improve when I correct my way too strong for my own good grip. I just compared my swing to the 3 points you showed. 1st frame, I seem to be okay. 2nd frame lol no. way off. 3rd frame wayyy too steep. Possibly standing too close to the ball is causing that. Anyway, great advice. Got stuff to work out now for sure.

Erik's advice is the most logical starting point.  I haven't used the swing extender, but it's seems to be a popular and effective tool for improving position at the top and adding the needed width in your backswing.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

Was looking at this the other day, definitely seems simple and effective enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpd5184

The wrist cupping is probably cause I'm nursing a right thumb injury. My grip has always been strong but never quite on that level. I was a bit appalled when I saw that on video. In terms of over swinging, I don't think so. According to the Mizzy shaft optimizer I swing my irons about 88-90 mph which is about 80% of my driver so I guess that's about right. And hip slide, absolutely. It's not as dramatic as it used to be though. Glad to see progress in that area though.

Just because you're at 80% of your driver swing speed doesn't have any bearing on the over-swing issue.  It is likely you also over-swing with your driver.  I would recommend just shortening the swing a bit for consistency.  Check out the video at about 18 seconds.  From the DTL view, at the top of your swing the club head almost returns to waist-high.  Parallel is plenty.

Driver: Taylormade Tour Burner 9.5° | Fairway Wood: Adams Speedline Fast 10 15° | Irons: Mizuno MP-57 3-PW | Wedges: Cleveland CG11 52° 56° 60° | Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG Rossie

Originally Posted by upah

Just because you're at 80% of your driver swing speed doesn't have any bearing on the over-swing issue.  It is likely you also over-swing with your driver.  I would recommend just shortening the swing a bit for consistency.  Check out the video at about 18 seconds.  From the DTL view, at the top of your swing the club head almost returns to waist-high.  Parallel is plenty.

I definitely need to shorten the back swing (which i believe will happen when I keep my elbow in) but I wouldn't call that overswinging. just poor mechanics as EverythingGolf said in his post (2nd picture). For the record, I am quite consistent with my irons though.

I definitely need to shorten the back swing (which i believe will happen when I keep my elbow in) but I wouldn't call that overswinging. just poor mechanics as EverythingGolf said in his post (2nd picture). For the record, I am quite consistent with my irons though.

With the right elbow, make sure you just don't fold it past 90*. That's what the Swing Extender does.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

Quote:

With the right elbow, make sure you just don't fold it past 90*. That's what the Swing Extender does.

I've been getting that motion down (with half swings in my house) slowly but surely. It has alot to do with keeping the left arm straight at the top where as in the video it collapses at the top. The elbow out may show that I played baseball for 16 years I'd think.

Note: This thread is 4829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!