IGNORED

What should I work on the most?

Unkynd
Note:Β This thread is 3859 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

Work on your ball striking, then work on equipment.Β  Then work on your putting.Β  Make sure everything fits you...especially the loft on your putter.Β  You won't be able to control the pace if the loft is off.

So you'd suggest getting a putter fitting before working on wedge play? Or is the short game bundled up into "ball striking".

I'd suggest the OP work on putting pretty much every time out for at least a few minutes. With longer shots work on one single money club off the tee (sounds like he's trying to do just that), a longer club from the fairway and light rough (like a 5 or 7-iron), distance control around the green (whether than means pitching or chipping), and making 4-6 Β footers in no more than 1-2 putts. It's amazing how many new golfers stick handle their way into the hole from 3 feet or less. Hitting the ball no more than 1 foot past the hole, from in tight, makes for fewer blowups and more par and bogey saves. And let's be honest here. The OP should be happy with bogey's at this point.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

So you'd suggest getting a putter fitting before working on wedge play? Or is the short game bundled up into "ball striking".

I'd suggest the OP work on putting pretty much every time out for at least a few minutes. With longer shots work on one single money club off the tee (sounds like he's trying to do just that), a longer club from the fairway and light rough (like a 5 or 7-iron), distance control around the green (whether than means pitching or chipping), and making 4-6 Β footers in no more than 1-2 putts. It's amazing how many new golfers stick handle their way into the hole from 3 feet or less. Hitting the ball no more than 1 foot past the hole, from in tight, makes for fewer blowups and more par and bogey saves. And let's be honest here. The OP should be happy with bogey's at this point.

3W is my best club off of a tee (and I practice it the most at the range) (around 230 yards)

2H off the ground isn't bad (around 200 yards)

7i is my best mid iron off the ground (and I practice it the 2nd most at the range) (around 145 yards)

I feel pretty confident with a PW in my hands too. (around 110 yards)

my 4i-6i are hit or miss.Β  My LW/SW are okay on full swings, but on partial swings I am hit or miss.

My putter and driver both have no confidence.Β  I leave the driver at home pretty much.Β  I've started practicing the putter more recently, but what works for me on the practice green doesn't seem to translate to success on the course (with the putter).

So really what it comes down to is practicing the most on

1) Putting

2) Partial Wedge Shots

3) Driver (to leave myself easier approach shots)

4) Long irons (to have more success on longer approach shots)

Based on the responses, it sounds like putting would gain me the most in the short term.Β  Long Irons/Driver might gain me more in the long run.Β  Since my goal this year is to break 100, I think putting makes more sense.Β  My long term goal is to get to a 20 handicap so I can play some tournaments that have the handicap cut-off at 20.

Putting

Driver Wishon 919THI 4 Wood Pure Fit w Accuflex

Ping Rapture hybrid Irons Wishon 770 CFE with Apollo Humps regular Gripmaster rubber grips 4-aw Wedges Ping MB 56 Ping Eye 2 Lob &nbsp ;Mentor Quad putter gripmaster gator grip

Bantam chipper leather grip

As others have said, putting is the obvious thing to work on. Β If you average a 2 putt you'd be averaging in the mid 90s already, and might have broken 90 on your best day so far. Β That tells me you're not horrible away from the green, but just can't putt at all!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Many good comments to work on short game and putting. Let me try to give you a few thoughts i believe will lower your score immediatedly. I say immediate because if you can hit 3w 220 to 240 in play and can hit your hybrid 200and your 7 iron 145 then distance is not the issue. You said you slice the driver and so I guess most all the misses are right not left. You miss many greens andΒ  I guess the misses are short and right.

If this sounds familiar you are like 98% of players who struggle to break 100.

If you will try this on your next round I promise things will improve. Swallow your ego, You probably only hit those distances on your good shots. Try to fly over the left rear of every green. Take more club than you ever have. Now swing at 90% not 100% power you will hit the sweet spot more often. Do this and your greens hit will be more than two. Now lets say you still miss 12 greens but because you are no longer short your misses are closer. Now work on your chipping. Its apparent if you hit only two greens and still putted 45 times you are not chipping or pitching very close.Β  Your putting will improve in time, find a stroke you can repeat, and stick with it, learn to control the speed of a putt this is more important than anything to limit your 3 putts. The lesson here is get it to the hole or in your case the green. Never up never in. I have a friend like you except he puts pretty well and chips on line, when we go on trips and I get paired with him in the team bets, I "caddy" for him and ride him pretty hard. If he tries to pull a 7iron at 150, I will hand him the five and so on. Usually he improves an average of 8 shots when I can get him to listen.

Thanks for the advice riddenhard.Β  As soon as the snow clears here, I'll give that a shot.Β  My irons usually don't miss right though, they are normally short though so you got that one right.Β  I normally miss with my irons left (more of a pull than a hook though).Β  I try to weaken my grip, but it feels really odd and I usually end up shanking.Β  My chipping is pretty bad, mainly because I have no idea how to control distance on those 1/2,3/4 shots.Β  I've been practicing putting in my living room, trying to find a pace that feels good and I haven't found one yet.

I think the reason my driver sucks so bad is that I never use it.Β  I'm the opposite of the normal 100+ handicapper, in that I spend all of my range time practicing irons and trying to find my distance, and almost no time on my driver.Β  I probably need to dedicate some time to it, but I think right now that time is better used on putting and chipping.Β  I think I can get by with 220-240 distance on my 3 Wood for now.

Hopefully once the snow clears I can get out to the putting greens and find something that works.Β  Next time I play a full round, I'll give your advice a shot.Β  It sounds like solid advice.

Yep, if you're really hitting your 3W 220+, you have no need for your driver at this point in your game.

I agree with the putting advice, and it may help the rest of your game.Β  I find 3- and 4-putts to be really disheartening, especially when you turn a par save opportunity into a double or triple bogey.Β  More 1- and 2-putts means you will end more holes on a positive note, and that will make it that much easier to play the psychological game.

In general, I'm an advocate of a balanced approach rather than trying to perfect one aspect of your game.Β  In this case, averaging 2.5 putts per hole is so out of whack that it's the obvious place to start.Β  I'd also work on short game, mostly chipping, until you can pretty well expect to be on the green every time from about 30 yards and in.Β  Those two steps will get you to where you can get down in three strokes once you're close to the green.Β  At that point, I'd start looking at the next steps and worrying about ball striking---get that to being near every green in regulation and you'll start seeing a lot of bogeys.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10Β° driver, FT 21Β° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15Β° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52Β° GW, Tom Watson 56Β° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60Β° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

God can we stop with the short game, its nothing to fall back on, its just something you'll do occassionally.. People think short game is important is because they end up using it alot. What if you hit more GIR's then short game becomes less important. Fix the problem, become a better ball striker.. Also improve putting, get down to less than 36 putts, no more three putts..

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

Saevel, I can understand your point, but even the pros end up missing greens.Β  When I'm 10-50 yards from the green, it's not rare for me to take 2 shots to get on the green.Β  Based on that, do you still think I should ignore the short game and focus on the full swing?

Usually from 60+ I have a full swing club I can use.Β  So If I do focus on my full swing, then yah I could see that resulting in more GIRs.

I play with a guy.....maybe 60 years old.....his crushed drive might go 190 yards, max!!Β Β  He hits the ball in play, not far, but in play every friggin' time.....when he gets within 50 yards of the green he's all money!!Β  Pitches, chips and putts like a pro.Β  He scores in the upper 80's most of the time.

My adivse.......learn enough of a swing to move the ball forward and avoid penalty shots.Β  PRACTICE PUTTING, chipping and pitching and you'll be in the 90's soon.

Never take a penalty (no cheating allowed, just avoid them like the plague), never miss the green with a chip, never miss the green with a pitch and never 3 putt!!

Driver Callaway Diablo Edge --- Custom Sonartec 3, 5 and 7 woods made +1" stiff shaftsΒ --- Irons 5-L Ping G10 +1" 4.5* upright reg shaftsΒ --- ---Putter Tiger Shark

I have to agree that short game (mainly putting) would be the quickest short term improvement.

Others on this board can give you better tips than I but one drill that really helped me out is hitting a 7 iron with 1/4 back swing and 1/4 follow thru and just trying to hit the ball 50 yards.Β  It really helped me find the "touch" for short game and ironed out the groove for that critical part of the swing.

There's great advice in this thread which I'm going to take some myself.

The short game is nothing to fall back on? Either you're joking or you'veΒ swallowed a bit too much "ball striking" kool aid.

How do people work onΒ swing mechanics mid-season while still remaining competitive? A solid short game. .

Originally Posted by saevel25

God can we stop with the short game, its nothing to fall back on, its just something you'll do occassionally.. People think short game is important is because they end up using it alot. What if you hit more GIR's then short game becomes less important. Fix the problem, become a better ball striker.. Also improve putting, get down to less than 36 putts, no more three putts..

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by Shanks A Million

Short game?Β  Ha!Β  Not a chance.Β  Take a hundred 25 handicaps, and give them a tour pro's short game, and you've got a hundred 20 handicaps.Β  Give them a tour pro's swing, and you have a hundred scratch golfers.Β  Ballstriking is far and away the most important thing you can do to lower your handicap.

He had 2 greens in regulation.Β  NO ONE here has pointed out that BOTH times he hit the green he made a par.Β  He obviously putts fine when he's in position, but my guess is when he misses the green, he ends up duffing a chip, then leaving an impossible putt.Β  It's easy to three putt from 60 feet, downhill.

Work on your full swing.

Gotta agree here, if your ball striking improves the rest of the game will follow... It's hard to break 100 if you are in trouble right off the tee. Β If I was in this situation I'd focus on the ball striking and also do a bit of work around and on the greens. Β Just remember that it's easier to score well if you start in a good position.

The other thing here that I think needs to be mentioned is that you have to learn to play, not just hit the ball... make sure that when you do put yourself in a bad position that you make the right choice for recovery and don't go for the impossible shot.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment:Β 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5Β°) Β· PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15Β° and 21Β°)Β Β· PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22Β°, 25Β°, and 28Β°) Β· PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) Β·Β Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50Β°, 55Β°, 60Β°) Β·Β Edel Classic BladeΒ Putter (32") Β· Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour Β· Pinned Prism RangefinderΒ Β· Star Grips Β· Flightscope Mevo Β· TRUE Linkswear Shoes Β·Β Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
AnalyzrΒ Pro

Quote:

The other thing here that I think needs to be mentioned is that you have to learn to play, not just hit the ball... make sure that when you do put yourself in a bad position that you make the right choice for recovery and don't go for the impossible shot.

Good point.Β  The fact that you leave your driver in the bag shows you're playing it smart.Β  I do the same, I hit my 3W off the tee when the driver isn't working.Β  I also have been making a point to just chip it back out on the fairway, rather than trying a Mickelson and thread it thru some trees.Β  This never seems to work out.

Quote:
Saevel, I can understand your point, but even the pros end up missing greens.Β  When I'm 10-50 yards from the green, it's not rare for me to take 2 shots to get on the green.Β  Based on that, do you still think I should ignore the short game and focus on the full swing?

Well i would put pitching in the short game. But thats just preference. Yea Pro's hit 12- 13 GIR per round, that means they have 5-6 short game shots a round. The average scrambling percentage is 57%, thats 3 up and downs or better a round. But here's the big key they average just under 30 putts a round. thats 6 one putts, take 3 away from up and down your looking at 3 birdies or better a round.

If i had to prioritizes his needs,

1: Putting, if you cut away all three putts, or just average 2 putts per hole, thats 11 strokes right there, welcome to sub 100 land big time.

2: ball striking, this will eliminate penalties, put you in favorable conditions to get to the green and eliminate the needs for relying heavily on short game.

3: Short game, just work on getting the ball on the green, don't care about hitting it close. think about landing the ball halfway between you and the hole, don't think about the hole. Then just two putt or maybe occasional 1 putt.

This method will get you down quick because you will eliminate mistakes and start to become a better ball striker. I am not saying ditch the short game, but its not the number 1 thing to bring down the score. I do believe Pelz had it right in that if you make a mistake on short game you can still make a putt or chip it in, if you make a mistake on putting you don't get a 2nd chance.

Oh stop aiming for pins, aim for center of the green, forget the flag exists.. .that will help out alot as well. I would say, if you play a right to left shot then only go for pins if there on the left side of the green. That sort of strategy. If there on the right then aim at the pin and end up in the center of the green, don't aim off the green and have it draw. Give yourself some leeway for a miss. Course management is key to lower scores as well. Which in turn limits short game shots.. Like maybe laying up to a distance on par 5's instead of hitting a 3 wood 25 yards short of the green for a pitch, maybe 75 yards for a full wedge.. Things like that.

Quote:

The short game is nothing to fall back on? Either you're joking or you'veΒ swallowed a bit too much "ball striking" kool aid.

How do people work onΒ swing mechanics mid-season while still remaining competitive? A solid short game. .

If you are working on swing mechanics during the mid-season you know what you do, dont work on the swing while on the course. I was trying to fix my slice last year, but once i went to the tee box i played with what my swing gave me, i did not think about anything during the round. This keeps me consistant and i am not fighting anything. Slowly over the year my slice became a slight pull fade. Different methods to the same results i say. I don't think putting pressure on the short game is the way to stay competative. I think accepting were your at for a round is a better concept. Its just a matter of compensating for less curve on the ball as i go. I can only say my best rounds i ever played were when i hit GIR's. when you get 7 looks for biride in 9 holes, it makes golf really fun.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:

A lot of people lump "putting" in with short game.

People should work on all aspects of their game

Why do successful professional golfers always suggest that the amateurs they play with in pro ams should work on their short games? Because for the most part the average weekend golfer sucks at it, Sure the best players in the world average almost 2/3 greens hit in regulation, but even they have their good and bad days. Playing with mid to high handicappers who can't guarantee that each successive shot will leave their ball closer to the hole than their last, must be very frustrating.

And it's not all about physical technique either. A person who works short game practice into every range session is honing his creativity. Something that's necessary for the long game as well. A person with a strong short game (did I mention this includes chipping, putting, pitching, bunker play, blading wedges, etc?) can be more agressive because they're not worried about a big number should they miss the green, which they will do at least 1/3 of the time.

Quote:

Well i would put pitching in the short game . . .

If i had to prioritizes his needs,

1: Putting, if you cut away all three putts, or just average 2 putts per hole, thats 11 strokes right there, welcome to sub 100 land big time.

Quote:

And it's not all about physical technique either. A person who works short game practice into every range session is honing his creativity. Something that's necessary for the long game as well. A person with a strong short game (did I mention this includes chipping, putting, pitching, bunker play, blading wedges, etc?) can be more agressive because they're not worried about a big number should they miss the green, which they will do at least 1/3 of the time.

I would lump aggressiveness depending on the person. Like me, though i tell people to shoot for the center of the green i am a flag hunting fiend on the course. I haven't gotten that mentally into my routine yet. My short game is below average. I need to work on it because i do see it costing me 2-3 strokes a round. Butt i cut at least 4 strokes off my game with improving putting. I also do not loose golf balls or take on penalties like i use to, which makes me a solid 10-12 handicap. Short game is nice, its helpful, alot of people will cut strokes of there game, but in the long run for sustained consistancy its about improving GIR's, no penalties, no three putting.

Putting is not short game, though the key stat for short game is that one putt, i do not consider it part of short game. Its to important to be lumped together into that category. When Pro's putt 29 times per round, and they shoot a 70, thats about 45% of there shots taken. To me, its to important and should be practiced 45% of the time. Then i would just break up full swing at more than short game, something like 25% short game, 30% full game.. But i wouldn't spend over 25% of my time on short game, thats my max. By proportion of shots hit in the round. If you want to clump putting into it, then yes short game is important, but when your taking 36 putts a round, 2 putting, compared to 12-15 short game shots a round, putting is 2:1 on that regard. So even if you practice chipping, it should be at half the time spent compared to putting.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag

It seems that we all (or nearly all) agree that putting should be this guy's #1 priority.

I (mostly) disagree that ball striking / full shots needs to come next.Β  Of course, it depends on where the other 60-65 strokes in the scores are coming from, but it's my opinion (and experience) that it's easier to learn to put the ball on the green consistently from ~30 yards than it is to hit even a majority of greens in regulation.Β  I'm not talking about leaving yourself gimmes after the chip, just getting a basic competency with chipping and short pitches.Β  If you don't have that, a missed green becomes a disaster; if you do, you have expanded the target for your bogey-golf approach shot by a huge amount.

If you're so poor with the ball striking that you can't break 100 even if you take 2-3 strokes on every hole from 30 yards off the green, then maybe the full swing should come first, but at that point things are kind of moot.Β  I'm assuming a basic competency.Β  Before that, there's really not much distinction between short game and ball striking practice anyway, since you're just trying to make *contact*...

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10Β° driver, FT 21Β° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15Β° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52Β° GW, Tom Watson 56Β° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60Β° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Note:Β This thread is 3859 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!