IGNORED

What should I work on the most?

Unkynd
Note: This thread is 3859 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Unkynd

The range I go to is grass, not hitting mats.  I measured the distance at the range and the par 3 course using google earth's ruler feature.  I think I ease up on my swings when I'm on the course, because the shots go a lot straighter (toward where I'm aiming) than they do on the range, but I'm losing about 20 yards of distance per club.

I went out today and really focused on my follow through, because that's one area of my swing that I think is terrible.  I don't really know how to work on the flipping, because I don't feel like I'm flipping and I don't really see it on the recordings.  Not sure how to fix it, other than buying a $100 training aid, which I really don't want to do.

You may be receptive to a sports (e.g. tennis or hockey) analogy, but maybe not. Can you picture sweeping off your deck with a corn broom?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

The range I go to is grass, not hitting mats.  I measured the distance at the range and the par 3 course using google earth's ruler feature.  I think I ease up on my swings when I'm on the course, because the shots go a lot straighter (toward where I'm aiming) than they do on the range, but I'm losing about 20 yards of distance per club.

I went out today and really focused on my follow through, because that's one area of my swing that I think is terrible.  I don't really know how to work on the flipping, because I don't feel like I'm flipping and I don't really see it on the recordings.  Not sure how to fix it, other than buying a $100 training aid, which I really don't want to do.

If you freeze frame your last video at the point  of 7 going on 8 seconds, as your about to strike the ball your left wrist hinges to-wards the target, your left wrist must be straight at this point. To help you feel what should be happening with your left wrist at impact, use a metal or timber rule about 300mm long and slip it into the back of your glove when its on your hand, get it down to the start of your knuckles then fasten the glove as tight as you can, with a straight wrist tape the rule to your wrist and closer to the end and hey presto you have a flat left

• Upvote 1

Interesting.  I always thought the flipping was releasing the up/down motion (hinge) of the wrist and didn't even realize I was moving my wrist right to left.  That's a cupping move, right?  I'll definitely give the ruler thing a try.  Thanks a lot for the tip.

Interesting.  I always thought the flipping was releasing the up/down motion (hinge) of the wrist and didn't even realize I was moving my wrist right to left.  That's a cupping move, right?  I'll definitely give the ruler thing a try.  Thanks a lot for the tip.

I have a similar problem, probably caused by me being a joiner and being very right hand dominant in every thing i do. I think the main reason in flipping is more to do with me unhinging my right wrist incorrectly, its got to the point that its so ingrained in my swing and mind its almost imposable for me to correct, but only a few day back i started to think outside the box and came up with an idea of tricking my mind and body into keeping the correct wrist hinge and holding onto the lag closer to impact. I only got this up and running yesterday and in that short space of time i can actually feel what i should have been doing over the last two years

I've been working hard the last 2 days to extend through my follow through.  I'm hoping to get some time to work on that ruler trick this weekend.  Overall, I like the finish better with the extended follow through, but found that while I was working on it my hip slide to start my downswing suffered.  Gotta get those 2 things working together, heh.  I definitely see the flipping now though, so that gives me something to think about.

• Administrator

You should start a "My Swing" thread.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

Thank you everyone for your help.  I finally got there and broke 100 today.

Scores looked like this

+2 +1 +1 +4 +2 +1 +2 +3 +1 (53 Out front 9)

+2 -1 +1 +1 +0 +0 +2 +0 +3 (44 Out back 9)

Didn't really keep track of my stats, but I can tell you that my approach shots into the green were the reason my scores were low on the back 9.  Feels good to finally achieve a goal in golf :)  89 here I come!

Spend all your practice time on putting and chipping, 90% on putting and 10% on chipping around the green.  infact practice putting off the green as well.

1) putting,

A) distance control

B) 3 foot straight putts, use a string tied too two sticks and practice keeping the putter head straight down the line

2) chipping around the green, watch some chipping video

If you only practiced putting for two weeks and begin to have all two putts that is 36 strokes and 9 strokes saved, chipping around the green will help you one putt a few holes then your next putting goal would be to have 30 putts.

Focus on your short game and your overall swing will improve also.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

• 2 months later...

Man you guys are awesome.  I just posted back in April that I broke 100, and I'm back to post that I broke 90 :)

42 front, 45 back.  67.2/112 course

Scores in relation to par were

0 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 (42) Front

2 2 0 1 0 3 0 1 0 (45) Back

Big changes I made... finally bought a driver that I felt comfortable with.  Finally bought a putter that I felt comfortable with.  Finally put away my LW & SW and quit trying to hit lobs onto the green from 5-20 yards.  Those are chips now, and wow what an improvement in my scrambling.

Dare I say, 79 here I come?  Okay, that's probably a stretch, but I sure hope to end the season shooting consistently in the 80's :)

I can relate to you. Previously (as in 6 months ago) while getting back into golf I was consistently at the 100 mark. Managed to shoot 89 today. I have been working on my chipping and putting a lot. Work on your wedge play into greens as well. My wedge play today was immaculate meaning I gave myself many more birdie opportunities and par saves than usual. Most people can get the ball to within 120 yards with an average long game. Make sure you can hit a green target from 120 and in quite consistently and your scores will really improve. Chip and runs are also quite important!

Wow, that's great improvement!  Well, I always believed, you absolutely need to make good contact.  You make clean consistent contact on the ball, you can start adjusting what happens and where it's going.  Of course there's technical improvements you can make to increase that consistency, but hit the ball solidly every time and the game will get easier.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wanted to update my post here.  I think I said something technical last time.  I'm sure that's important, but I would like to put something in front of it:  the mental aspects of shotmaking.

You really need to work on seeing your shot, absolute concentration, staying confident, talking to yourself when the confidence isn't there, or hanging up the clubs for a while when there are distractions in your life.  This is the stuff that will make or break your golf experience regardless of your technical quality.  The best players have this stuff in spades and keep that level of concentration while they are working on technical stuff at the range.  I would say these mental aspects are the most important fundamentals of the game....technical aspects secondary to them.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

1000% agree bunkerputt.  Probably the most important change I've made is to believe that I'm going to hit a good shot.  My thought process when addressing the ball is no longer 2-10 swing thoughts... the thought process now is, "I know how to hit this shot, so just relax and hit the shot"

The fastest thing that can ruin my swing is to allow negative thoughts to enter before my swing... things like "don't hit the water... don't want to hit this one fat... " etc... If I block all of that out, and think about the positives and block out the negatives, I have a much better chance of hitting a good shot.

Starting to finally realize just how mental golf really is :)

I broke 100 when I started using PW or 9 iron for chipping. It is much easier to use them than SW or AW.

I had difficulty breaking 100, but once I started using 9 irons ( I practiced a little), it wasn't too difficult to score less than 100.

So if you often use SW or AW when chipping, please try PW.

I hope you will get better score.

• 2 years later...

I liked that you wrote that you had started tracking, I found tracking a huge help in narrowing down my problem areas. Like in weight watchers, when you want to slim down your golf scores, tracking what you're doing holds you accountable for your excesses.

Also with putting, (I'm going to be that guy for a second) Think about rolling the ball not hitting it, and just try to get it close and then roll it in, you don't need to go for it with every putt. Weirdly I have seen the idea of not needing to "go for" every putt work for a lot of people.

Okay, well best wishes from two years in the future.

Note: This thread is 3859 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!