Sign in to follow this  
jnash85

Beginner club to learn with

Note: This thread is 3448 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 posts / 840 viewsLast Reply

I played a round for the first time this weekend on a small, cheap par-3 course. I really enjoyed it, but want to be able to consistently hit the ball before I go back. A friend is working on loaning me a set of clubs, but in the mean time, what would be the best single club to buy and go to the driving range with?

Start with a 7 iron. It's supposed to be the easiest club to hit and work on your swing. You can buy a starter set of clubs for fairly cheap at Dick's or any big box store.

Originally Posted by AnthonyGraziano

I found it to be my pitching wedge but thats just me.

Pitching wedge is my favorite also, but I've always heard to start with the 7 iron.

Unless you buy a used misc. club from a shop or eBay, I'm not sure you're going to be able to buy just a single club. If you're interested, you can usually get a full set (including the bag) for $100 at Big 5 or Dicks. But I would also echo 7-iron as the best club to start with. I started with it as my main "go-to" iron, and to this day it's one of my favorite clubs to hit. Focus on making consistent contact with the ball and hitting it straight. You can tear par-3s up if you can just hit straight.

Note: This thread is 3448 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!