IGNORED

5 wood vs. 3 hybrid

tws1098
Note: This thread is 3656 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am in the process of overhauling my bag and am down to the final club. Right now I have a machspeed driver, vr 3 wood, burner 1.0 4-pw, adams 52, 56, and 60* wedges, and a white hot #1 putter. With the current clubs I have a gap from 15* to 21* and am thinking about either a vr 5 wood or burner 3 rescue. Both are 18*. Any thoughts on the two as far as which may be more versitile and forgiving? I have been playing to a 9-11 handicap over the past 5 or so rounds. Other opinions are also welcome. Thanks in advance.

This season I am going to streamline even more.

My bag will consist of 12* Driver, 17* 4W, 23* hybrid, 4 iron.

While I may not have a large variety of shots, my goal is to make those shots I have very reliable....

Depends on your distance needs, and how far the distance gap is between 3W and 4i.

If the two clubs are comparable:

* 5W likely would go farther, as it has a longer shaft.

* 5W has more bulge in clubface: this means off-center hits will work back toward the middle better than with a hybrid.

* Hybrid might come closer to "splitting the distance" between 3W and 4i - assuming you can find a hybrid you like.

And...

If you like the 5W you might also add a 7W. (To make room, you could drop either 4i or one of your wedges.)

... Test them out and see what happens.

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the info guys, but my main thing is which should work better out of the rough? I can't demo them from the rough, so I was hoping someone had some experience with this. I don't mind a distance difference as much as a control difference. Anyone with some experience on this?

Originally Posted by tws1098

Thanks for the info guys, but my main thing is which should work better out of the rough? I can't demo them from the rough, so I was hoping someone had some experience with this. I don't mind a distance difference as much as a control difference. Anyone with some experience on this?

For the typical 14 hc out of real rough? A 7i is a good choice unless you're strong. The point being that for a the typical mid-high capper with ballstriking issues, a low lofted club is tough out of thick rough to hit consistently well. If you use more of a narrow swing where you really come down on the ball without going through all that rough, you're more likely to get the ball in the air. When I have really thick rough, I take my lumps and hit a 6 or 7i - knowing it will normally roll out in decent conditions.

As to your choice, I think it's easier for a typical 14 hc to hit a 5 wd more consistently. Even better if you cut the shaft length and opt for a heavier shaft.

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Quote:

For the typical 14 hc out of real rough? A 7i is a good choice unless you're strong. The point being that for a the typical mid-high capper with ballstriking issues, a low lofted club is tough out of thick rough to hit consistently well. If you use more of a narrow swing where you really come down on the ball without going through all that rough, you're more likely to get the ball in the air. When I have really thick rough, I take my lumps and hit a 6 or 7i - knowing it will normally roll out in decent conditions.

As to your choice, I think it's easier for a typical 14 hc to hit a 5 wd more consistently. Even better if you cut the shaft length and opt for a heavier shaft.

I'll be honest, we don't have a lot of "real" rough where I play. It's like hitting in your back yard.  A couple of the nicer courses have rough that can be tougher, but for the most part, it is just an inconvenience and enough to make you think about what you need to do.  I hope that makes sense?

I would go with the hybrid .  You can definitely use it from light rough.

:tmade: SLDRs 14* driver, 17* fairway, 19* and 22* hybrids | :odyssey: Versa White #1 putter

:nike: XR Pro 24*, 27*, 31*, 35.5*, 40*, 45*, 50* irons | :vokey: SM4 54*, 58* wedges

Quote:

Quote:

I'll be honest, we don't have a lot of "real" rough where I play. It's like hitting in your back yard.  A couple of the nicer courses have rough that can be tougher, but for the most part, it is just an inconvenience and enough to make you think about what you need to do.  I hope that makes sense?

Yes - still a tough choice. I like the fairway wood option at that low loft -- a fairway head normally has a lower COG for getting the ball up higher from the rough, more hitting area, and more forgiveness. I think for most of us, a 21 loft is where hybrids may begin. And like I said, with the fairway option (if you're of normal strength and athleticism), I'd probably opt for a heavier shaft, let's say 85g instead of the normal 65g and a shorter length. I think you get better rhythm and more consistent contact.

Good luck in the choice you make.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Thanks for the thoughts, I think I will play a couple rounds with the bag as-is and see what happens.  Hell I might not even need something in that gap, we'll see what happens.  I'm leaning toward the 5 wood because I have had issues in the past with both...but do seem to be improving much more with a wood than a hybrid. Who knows I may just end up dumping the 3 wood and going with a 4wood and a 3i if I can find one to match my set.  I always liked my dad's old wilson radius sole 3 and 4 irons and I would imagine a burner 3i should be a little easier.

Originally Posted by nuck81

This season I am going to streamline even more.

My bag will consist of 12* Driver, 17* 4W, 23* hybrid, 4 iron.

While I may not have a large variety of shots, my goal is to make those shots I have very reliable....

Good luck with your putting!

• Upvote 1

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes - still a tough choice. I like the fairway wood option at that low loft -- a fairway head normally has a lower COG for getting the ball up higher from the rough, more hitting area, and more forgiveness. I think for most of us, a 21 loft is where hybrids may begin. And like I said, with the fairway option (if you're of normal strength and athleticism), I'd probably opt for a heavier shaft, let's say 85g instead of the normal 65g and a shorter length. I think you get better rhythm and more consistent contact.

Good luck in the choice you make.

Yeah, those lofts are pretty strong. A "21 degree 4-iron hybrid". Those words seem strange when said together.

If I had to choose between a 19 degree hybrid or 5-wood, I'd base the decision on how I hit it from the fairway and from the teebox. I'd base it on which club would be beneficial for course management and for scoring when I'm driving well. Which one could be used to my advantage?

From the rough with 2-3 hybrid yardage, I'm probably going to follow up that bad tee shot with an overly agressive lash at the ball. A high number is sure to follow.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Thanks for the thoughts, I think I will play a couple rounds with the bag as-is and see what happens.  Hell I might not even need something in that gap, we'll see what happens.  I'm leaning toward the 5 wood because I have had issues in the past with both...but do seem to be improving much more with a wood than a hybrid. Who knows I may just end up dumping the 3 wood and going with a 4wood and a 3i if I can find one to match my set.  I always liked my dad's old wilson radius sole 3 and 4 irons and I would imagine a burner 3i should be a little easier.

Well, good luck. I use a 17 deg fwy, a 20 deg fwy, then a 25 and 30 deg hybrid before I even get to a 6i. You know, older guys lose their athleticism. Heck, I'm going to S&T; because, (at least one reason  is that) I can't make that weight shift consistently any longer. I want better ballstriking. Have fun.

Yeah, but I think it is more about my swing than anything. I use to try to use a 3 and 4 hybrid (offbrand) and was terrible with them. Now this could have been the clubs, but I doubt it. I'm not one to blame clubs for a lack of talent haha. Also, my ballstriking has really come along this past year (only my 2nd real year of playing golf, so I'm not surprised it is coming along). The Taylormade 3 rescue does seem a little more like a wood than the hybrids I used before, so that could help as well. I'm just getting to the point, ability wise, where my equipment actually matters so I am probably going to be on the fence for a while on this. I may just end up buying both and selling the one that doesnt work out. Seems like a better way to solve it right?

Yeah, but I think it is more about my swing than anything. I use to try to use a 3 and 4 hybrid (offbrand) and was terrible with them. Now this could have been the clubs, but I doubt it. I'm not one to blame clubs for a lack of talent haha. Also, my ballstriking has really come along this past year (only my 2nd real year of playing golf, so I'm not surprised it is coming along). The Taylormade 3 rescue does seem a little more like a wood than the hybrids I used before, so that could help as well. I'm just getting to the point, ability wise, where my equipment actually matters so I am probably going to be on the fence for a while on this. I may just end up buying both and selling the one that doesnt work out. Seems like a better way to solve it right?

You are on your way to ho'dom...

I was sorting out my bag for this year and I went Driver, 4 wood, 21* hibred 4iron-PW 51*, 56*, 60*

Last season I carried 3wood, 5 wood, Hibred and no 60*

I have found I have to carry a hibred, I like in light rough and I also tend to hit it better of tight lie.However I also like to have wood in the bag as safe driving option or for certain lies. My Hibred is 210yard club for me and 4 wood is closer to 230 off turf and few extra yards off the tee's. When I am over 200 yards out, anywhere on the green makes me happy so I dumbed two wood and split the difference so I could carry my 6o* again

Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tws1098 View Post

You are on your way to ho'dom...

Haha yeah that's the truth.

• 1 year later...

I would like to weigh in and get some help/comments. :)

I have an Adams Redline 3H and hit it poorly.  I hit the 4H well, except when my concentration is low...then slicerooni. I hit my F11 3wood well. Not sure if I should entertain the idea of a 5wood in its place. What do you think?

I don't hit em far...my club head speed is about 92mph. I have a herniated disc in my lower back.

Thoughts?

Taylormade M4 10.5* (turned down to 8.5*)
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods
Ping G graphite irons 5 - PW  Black Dot
Ping Gorged Glide Wedges - 50, 54, 58
Directed Force Reno 2.0 Putter
What an amazing game this is.

Note: This thread is 3656 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!