IGNORED

What Headphones Work Well for Golfing???

TheGeekGolfer
Note: This thread is 3859 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anybody use headphones or earbuds while golfing to listen to music on the course or range?  If so, what headphones do you like best?  What works without coming out of the ear?  Do you use just one, so you can still talk to fellow playing partners?

I reviewed some of the earlier threads, but was looking specifically for endorsements about which headphones or earbuds are good/bad, so I started a new thread.

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

I tried it but could never get comfortable.  I was always worrying about the chord, and my Ipod in my pocket, so I ended up taking it off. I'm also a big believer proponent of inner tempo and would be afraid it would throw me off, on the other hand I could see my self swinging with the music and it actually helping me, but I could never get past comfort

Some guys it doesn't seem to bother, so if it works for you, go for it...

I have used this style for quite some time and thread the cord through my shirt to the pocket where my ipod/mp3 player is.  They have different sized ear 'cones' and tend to stay in pretty well.

Philips SHQ3000 - headphones - In-ear ear-bud (with over-the-ear mount), Binaural

Is a golfer permitted to listen to music via an IPOD or similar device while playing?  I tried to find out but can't seem to locate any decision on this.  Since I never see a touring pro doing this in competition I suspect is isn't allowed.  But I don't know does anyone out there know?

Butch

Originally Posted by ghalfaire

Is a golfer permitted to listen to music via an IPOD or similar device while playing?  I tried to find out but can't seem to locate any decision on this.  Since I never see a touring pro doing this in competition I suspect is isn't allowed.  But I don't know does anyone out there know?

I beleive it's covered under Rule 14-3. I did a quick search and found this.

The Rules of Golf do not prohibit a player from using headphones, provided they do not communicate information on the conditions (such as weather) which are relevant to his play or otherwise assist the player in his play. Please refer to Rule 14-3, Decision 14-3/16 and the penalty statement under Rule 14-3. Additionally, the Rules of Golf do not prohibit a player from using earplugs, provided it does not assist the player in his play - (Rule 14-3). Finally, a prudent player would avoid the appearance of any possible breach of the Rules. The decision on whether a breach has occurred needs to be made by a rules official or other member of a Committee on a case by case basis, taking all of the circumstances into consideration.

IEMs would probably work the best. Senneheiser's CX-series is cheap, but with an OK audio quality.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd say anything that wraps around your ears...IF you're picky about sound quality, then you might have to go with Bose's new set. I personally own Skull Candy's Full metal Jacket headphones...They stay there and don't go anywhere, and sound ridiculous with my Ipod.

Thanks for the info... I picked up these from Skull Candy (Chops), I'll be testing them out later this week or next when I get a chance at the range.  One thing kinda cool about them is they swivel in and out of the ear without taking them off, so I can swivel them if I need to talk to someone.

Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

I use the sony in-ear headphones.. I have some skullcandy ones but whenever I sweat, everytime I take a step I can hear the earbuds "click" a little in my ear.. I'm really happy with my in-ear sony ones. I have an all white pair, think they were like 60$

I use the standard apple earbuds that came with my iphone and have found them to work great. I love listening to pandora radio while playing when there really isn't anyone else out on the course. Wish I could do that more, i seemed to be really, really relaxed!

Still trying to find my swing!

I wouldn't suggest listening with earphones while playing on the course. I'd hate to try get someone's attention and have him just go about his business then get hit.

« Keith »

Listening to music while playing or practicing has been an asset to my game and would def. say give it a try.I use the earphones that came with my droid tuck the cables under my shirt and im golden.If im playing with someone I usually just leave 1 earpiece out..

Adams 9065LD 8.5* with a Nunchuk shaft
Adams CB1 gw-4i with Project X 6.0 shafts , Mizuno MT-11 58* wedge
Callaway Steelhead 3
Tour Exotics Hybrid 16* and 18*
Ping long putter

i cant find a pic of them, but i use some older sony ones

they are about the size of a twonie, maybe a bit bigger and have "legs" on them that tuck behind my ears

run the cord up my shirt and dont even notice its there

VITAL part of my practice, especially putting

"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

I played on Sunday with the headphones on for the last 9 holes.  The front 9 I was paired with a husband/wife and due to a tee-box mix-up was in a bit of a hurry, so didn't have them on yet (thought it would be rude to put them on after rushing to the tee to join them).  I shot a 43 on the front, basically just plodding along, nothing to write home about.  The back nine, they dropped out and I was by myself, so I figured a perfect time to try out the headphones (even though I hadn't tried them at the range, yet).  I shot a back-9 39 w/ one very nice birdie (back pin, 94 yds, stuck it to 5 ft, pin-high).

The setup worked very well, I'll try to remember to post some pics.  What I did was wrap the headphones around this little clip/winder thing ( similar to this , but with a clip built in) I bought and left enough slack in them to go to each ear after clipping the winder to the back of my hat.  I clipped my MP3 player ( Sansa Clip+ ) to the back of my cap also.  Didn't even notice it was there and the music was quite nice.  I need to adjust my playlist a bit to eliminate some songs that didn't quite 'flow' with my swing, but all-in-all a good experience.

• 2 years later...

Penalty for breach of rule 14-3....disqualification.

Decision

14-3/17

Player Listens to Music or Broadcast During Round

Q.A player uses a device to listen to music, a radio broadcast or any other type of broadcast during a stipulated round. What is the ruling?

A.Under Rule 14-3a , a player may not use any artificial device or unusual equipment that "might assist him in making a stroke or in his play." Listening to music or a broadcast while making a stroke or for a prolonged period might assist the player in his play, for example, by eliminating distractions or promoting a good tempo. Therefore, the use of an artificial device to listen to music or a broadcast, whether or not through headphones, while making a stroke or for a prolonged period of time during a stipulated round is a breach of Rule 14-3 . However, it would not be a breach of Rule 14-3 for a player to listen to a device briefly, for example, to obtain the results of another sporting event or traffic information, while walking between the putting green of one hole and the teeing ground of the next hole.

A Committee will have to consider all available facts and circumstances in determining whether a player using an artificial device to listen to music or a broadcast has done so for a prolonged period such that the action might have assisted the player in his play.

There is no restriction on listening to music or other broadcasts while practicing (whether on the practice ground or on the golf course, and whether by oneself or while playing with others), although club rules and disciplinary codes could apply in such circumstances. (New)

Note: This thread is 3859 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!