IGNORED

Tiger Woods will never regain golf dominance

LargeMarge
Note: This thread is 4793 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wow - some people have issues.

Yes, it's another bloody Sunday for Tiger ... but it's tough to evaluate him until he gets his game together.

The rush to judgment is just that .... premature.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I said Tigers on the way down, lots of people made excuses and say no, then the results come out and they prove my original point to be true.

Welcome to the Sandtrap forums where the board moderators will ban you if you say anything against their has-been, slut chasing, false Idol, Tiger Woods.

So much for freedom of speech... the moderators here are obviously a bunch of Godless Communists that cant handle the truth.

-LM

Originally Posted by Zeph

Not at all. His short game is pretty solid, but he can't expect to get up and down from all over the course. If he can find the fairway and green, preferably somewhat close to the flag, he will be dangerous.

I think you could say that of every golfer. Fact is, he has become just like every golfer these days.  Better than most, sure.  But nowadays, just an also-ran on tour.  Maybe that will change, maybe it won't.

I said Tigers on the way down, lots of people made excuses and say no, then the results come out and they prove my original point to be true.

Welcome to the Sandtrap forums where the board moderators will ban you if you say anything against their has-been, slut chasing, false Idol, Tiger Woods.

So much for freedom of speech... the moderators here are obviously a bunch of Godless Communists that cant handle the truth.

-LM

Everyone is allowed to post their opinion, but none is more correct than the other. Some think Tiger will play better as the year goes on, some don't. What's the point about getting so offensive? And since when did a tournament or two become a year?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by largermarge

-LM

There's a difference between making a point and making a point uttered with insulting, disgusting, vulgarities (in your previous post).

As to the truth, you may have something as to Tiger having already had his best years. But it's tough to measure until he's had time to adjust to a new swing. Look at Harrington, he changed everything after his last major win, and we haven't heard from him since that time -- I suggest we measure Tiger's progress at the end of the year.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

My observations about Tiger:

If memory serves, Tiger has never been the most accurate off the tee or the best at the short game. But what I think made Tiger a great player was his approach shots. That great iron play put him in tight to many pins. He was also great at getting out of trouble (on the course) usually due to an errant drive off the tee.

While sometimes the occasional club toss and/or colorful metaphor may be funny, Tigers childish behavior on the course really gets old fast.

He doesn't even look like he's having any fun.

David

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

The rush to judgment is just that .... premature.

Agreed. He didn't play much at all last year and he's had two tourneys this year...?   Judgment now is very premature.

Yes, golf is very much a mind game and what TW went thru very much hurt his game but he will get past it and it won't be a factor any more. He's not going to decline just because of this.

In my opinion, the only reason to believe (if you do) that he is on his way down is his age and the wear and tear he has done on his body playing golf. Regardless of his personal struggles, he's the same athlete (mindset wise) he was when he was winning, he will work to overcome his aging/damaged body and probably will to some point.

I think we'll still see TW win this year.

Originally Posted by keb

Short game and not the new swing is what seems to be holding Tiger back.

What? Have you seen his driving?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by dmnoland

My observations about Tiger:

If memory serves, Tiger has never been the most accurate off the tee or the best at the short game. But what I think made Tiger a great player was his approach shots. That great iron play put him in tight to many pins. He was also great at getting out of trouble (on the course) usually due to an errant drive off the tee.

While sometimes the occasional club toss and/or colorful metaphor may be funny, Tigers childish behavior on the course really gets old fast.

He doesn't even look like he's having any fun.

These are the best observations about TW so far on this forum (including my own) imho.  Except that I would add that when he was winning big and often his short game was also stellar - he saved a lot of pars and made a bunch of birdies that way.  Not so now.  Did Woods make appearance money at this event btw?  If so, how much?

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Quote:

-LM

Everyone is allowed to post their opinion, but none is more correct than the other. Some think Tiger will play better as the year goes on, some don't. What's the point about getting so offensive? And since when did a tournament or two become a year?

No-one is more correct than the other in your opinion, is that what you really believe Zeph?  I rather doubt it.  I know what you're saying I think and we agree - let people have their say.  Which would include negative comments about the man TW, just like other pros who get slated by some at times on this forum.  What's the big deal?

The poster was making a point - rather floridly perhaps - that anyone who isn't a reflex TW fan would see as having some truth.  The people doing most of the flaming and insulting on this forum  (how could XYZ be such an idiot to believe that he won't come back and win win win ....?) are mostly those who take strong personal offense to anything negative said about their man Tiger, including his risk of never returning to former glory.  You can criticize just about any other golfer in similarly terms here on the Trap and no such hostility will result.  There's a word for that but I won't use it - no wish to offend and some at least will know what it is.

I'm expecting TW to win quite a few more PGA tour events over the years (if he doesn't take his money and run out of frustration at some point), but whether he overtakes Jack in Majors, well it's too difficult to estimate with any accuract at the moment IMO.  Let's just say the hazard ratio has shifted back towards 1.00.  As to where the 95% confidence intervals lie in relation to 1.00, I wouldn't presume to know .....

4-hybrid:

• Administrator

Actually, you were put in the Penalty Box (that's not a ban) because you've not made arrangements to pay your bet(s). Are you a dishonorable person, or do you pay your bets? Where's the $10 you owe at least one person?

If you joined to post ONLY negative rambling comments about Tiger Woods, go elsewhere. You won't be missed. Signing up for a second account just to behave like an ass is in no way acceptable behavior.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks for explaining Erik, I must say you had me wondering.  That seems reasonable.

Note to self: never make an open bet on this forum, noway never nohow.  Anyway I hardly ever bet - I almost always lose.   Pool and snooker would be the exception to that personal rule.

So what's your fancy, 8-ball or 9-ball?

4-hybrid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chas

No-one is more correct than the other in your opinion, is that what you really believe Zeph?

Depends what the topic is. In this event, we are discussing wether Tiger will regain his former form and start winning again. In such a discussion there is no answer until Tiger does get his game back, or resigns. I can't use one tournament he wins as proof that he will get as good again, and nobody else can use one tournament he places 20th in as proof he has lost it. Attacking the forum management in a discussion like this doesn't do much to make our impression of him any better.

It's like discussing which golfer you like, which partly is what is going on here. Some like Tiger, some don't, neither is correct, seeing as it is an individual observation.

I'll take the 8-ball!

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Quote:

No-one is more correct than the other in your opinion, is that what you really believe Zeph?

Depends what the topic is. In this event, we are discussing wether Tiger will regain his former form and start winning again. In such a discussion there is no answer until Tiger does get his game back, or resigns. I can't use one tournament he wins as proof that he will get as good again, and nobody else can use one tournament he places 20th in as proof he has lost it. Attacking the forum management in a discussion like this doesn't do much to make our impression of him any better.

It's like discussing which golfer you like, which partly is what is going on here. Some like Tiger, some don't, neither is correct, seeing as it is an individual observation.

I'll take the 8-ball!

You were really going out on a limb when you suggested that if Tiger starts hitting his approach shots closer to the pin, he'll shoot better scores. That was ballsy.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

You were really going out on a limb when you suggested that if Tiger starts hitting his approach shots closer to the pin, he'll shoot better scores. That was ballsy.

Seems obvious, but with everyone chiming in on their opinions of where Tiger struggle, I made mine. I stand fast on my opinion that the reason Tiger has struggled last year and so far this year is his swing, not putting or short game (breaking news, he is making a swing change). Last time it took him two years to get a swing change fully implemented, so we can't expect him to get it working after half a year this time. I don't think it will take two years, but he will be struggling like this for some time during the transition. There are glimpses of greatness, he's making both eagles and birdies, but in the end of the day he makes too many bogies. And that is not because he is making three-putts or not having a good enough short game, that is because he hits the ball into too much trouble. There are a lot of the rights in his driving. Same with Rory McIlroy the last couple of days. First two he was in the fairway and being an excellent iron player he hit a lot of good approach shots. When that part of the game fails, it becomes too difficult.

• Upvote 1

I agree with Zeph here...

Also, you have to understand that Torrey and Dubai were playing real windy on the weekends...i mean come on, it was so damned windy in Dubai that the bunkers were causing 'mini-sandstorms' !

The guy's making a swing change as it is, when it blows a gale, you make adjustments to your swing, not something easy whilst you're undergoing a major swing change...that's why he played really well on Day 2, in the morning where it was probably the calmest throughout the tournament...

However, having said that..unless he's going to practice really hard in the next few weeks prior to the WGC Matchplay (instead of taking a break to focus on his family, which is obviously important to him right now ), Arizona would be a BAD idea...

Ray

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Seems obvious, but with everyone chiming in on their opinions of where Tiger struggle, I made mine. I stand fast on my opinion that the reason Tiger has struggled last year and so far this year is his swing, not putting or short game (breaking news, he is making a swing change). Last time it took him two years to get a swing change fully implemented, so we can't expect him to get it working after half a year this time. I don't think it will take two years, but he will be struggling like this for some time during the transition. There are glimpses of greatness, he's making both eagles and birdies, but in the end of the day he makes too many bogies. And that is not because he is making three-putts or not having a good enough short game, that is because he hits the ball into too much trouble. There are a lot of the rights in his driving. Same with Rory McIlroy the last couple of days. First two he was in the fairway and being an excellent iron player he hit a lot of good approach shots. When that part of the game fails, it becomes too difficult.

Quote:

I'll take the 8-ball!

I think we all understand the subject of the discussion.  Of course there is an answer, and it is what we are predicting will happen.  Pure speculation.

Let's say there are 2 views in a controversy, X and Y.  If I favor X and you favor Y, then naturally I will believe that others who believe X are correct, whereas you would believe those who favor Y are correct.  It's an inevitable inference, a syllogism.  You may not agree with the logic or rationale for their belief (with which you happen to agree), but that doesn't matter - you still gotta agree with their conclusion because it's the same as yours.  Neither of us can credibly believe that every opinion is equally "correct", even if it's all speculation (not related to a knowable fact).  Why?  Because we've taken a position - right or wrong, which we will only learn in the fullness of time.

8-ball is it then.  On a smaller (8 ft) table like mine I prefer 9-ball but that's OK.  Your place or mine?

4-hybrid:

Originally Posted by LargeMarge

Well all you tiger fanboy circle jerkers, heres how he finished up:

Three average rounds and one flash of brilliance. Whoop de fuc_ing doo. As of this post hes tied with 8 other meidiocre souls for 20th place.

So all of you who disagree about his continual steady decline from the top of this game and out of the starshine of greatness - you my friends, as Tiger would say, can "suck it."

My Warmest Regards,

-LargeMarge

Those are some very strong words.  You do know that these words will be on this forum for a long time and you may just be eating them somewhere in the near future.

As for people's hate towards Tiger's transgressions, just as a "food for thought," do you all REALLY think that Tiger WAS and IS the only golfer or athlete for that matter messing around on his wife (now former wife)???  The reality is that he got caught...1. and 2. caught in a time where media is at an all time high when it comes to coverage and the paying off of people by the media; specifically, the woman who came out and admitted to his whoring.

Now, re-wind to the 60s and 70s and you better believe that Arnold and Jack in their hay day had their share of "fun."  What was the difference?  A LOT more people willing to keep it hush hush and a lack of blatant media tracking their every move (internet, twitter, facebook, TMZ, etc etc etc).  Anyone who thinks Tiger's whoring i ssomething new is either extremely naive or in a serious need of a wake up call.  Get over it already people...

In going back to the original post.  Tiger doesn't NEED to dominate again.  All he needs to do is win occasionally and get 4 more majors over the next 10 years.  Is that still a possibility? Hell yes.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Note: This thread is 4793 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!