IGNORED

Spitting on the Golf Course

iacas
Note: This thread is 1938 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

36 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about spitting on the golf course?

• No spitting anywhere, ever!
    • Spit in certain locations, not in others.
    • Spit wherever you want.

Originally Posted by Dad-2-3

POTD. Had me chuckling to myself.

I agree. Stupid post; don't know what I was thinking (or not!)

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

I fail to see the big deal.  I chew tobacco while I play.  I don't spit in a cup, I don't spit on the tee box, I don't spit on the green, and I don't spit on the cart path or near water coolers, etc.  Other than that, I spit wherever.  If I'm playing with someone who might not like it, I just spit when I'm not near them.  I don't expect anyone to WANT to see me spit.

Originally Posted by Nyper

I fail to see the big deal.  I chew tobacco while I play.  I don't spit in a cup, I don't spit on the tee box, I don't spit on the green, and I don't spit on the cart path or near water coolers, etc.  Other than that, I spit wherever.  If I'm playing with someone who might not like it, I just spit when I'm not near them.  I don't expect anyone to WANT to see me spit.

The big deal is we'd rather not be playing a ball that has rolled through your disgusting chaw.

Yes, there's bird crap and lots of other things of that nature on the course anyway, but we can't do much about that, whereas you have 100% control over whether you spit into a cup or not.

• Upvote 1

Bill

I spit just about anywhere on a golf course, however I won't "hauk a loogie" on a green, tee box etc.  If I ever spit a little guy onto a green, I'll use my putter to tap it down/into the grass.

Though, I have no problem with the Euro Tour fining Tiger for spitting on a green, he's on TV and should be held to a higher standard.

G15 9* w/Aldila Serrano 63S
FT 4 wood w/ Aldila NVS 75S
i15 20* hybrid w/UST Mamiya Avix Core Tour Red 84S
4-PW MP-57 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 (+0.5")
52, 56 and 60 degree MP-10 Satin w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge FlexStudio Stock #4, BB25, Fastback 1.5 or Backstryke Blade..... @ 34"P...

No spitting.  Its disgusting.

• Upvote 1

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I wouldn't have thought so many people were so worked up about spitting.  When you golf you're outdoors, who cares?!  I agree that it's lame to spit on the green or on the tee box near where the marker line is that day, but only because people are touching the ground there, or rolling the ball through that area.  People don't get worked up about spitting on or near other sports fields, and you're a heck of a lot more likely to roll around in someone's spit if they do it on a football or baseball field.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Spit wherever you want so long as it's not on me, the greens, or the tees.

When I lived in New Mexico we'd spit on our golf balls to clean 'em. Towels would dry out so fast in the heat that you couldn't keep a towel wet for more than a hole or so. A little spit, a little rub... clean golf ball.

What are you people, pansies? Afraid of spit? Spit is "disgusting"? I can think of a whole lot more disgusting stuff - like people who smoke, or people who drive carts to the edges of greens and tees - than a little spit.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Didn't see the event.  I did see Garcia spit into the cup.  He was just being rude.  If Woods was being rude then he deserves the fine.  If it was need to expectorate then what's the big deal?

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

Here in around Tokyo (haven't played outside a 200km radius of Tokyo so I can't speak for the rest of Japan), I think it comes down to price of the green fees. Let me explain.

I don't know about the average fees you guys in the US pay for 18 holes, but here, it costs about 150 bucks minimum, added to the fact you have to drive usually 2 hours to get there from central Tokyo. Most clubs force you to play with a caddie (1 per foursome), have a strictly enforced dress code, etc., so people who play golf here have "expectations" and preconceived ideas about style of play (in all senses of the term). So they don't spit because:

• the price of play still gives a slight prestige to the game, so "golfers don't spit".
  • if the caddie sees you, well, she ("she", because it is usually an old lady) might raise a stink about it.
  • if you're taking out a big client on the course, this might not give the best impression.

As for my point of view, well, on the fairway or in the rough, if no one sees you, who cares? You can't touch the ball while it's on the fairway anyway, the spit will be evaporated quickly (and if it rains, what's one more drop of fluid, right?), so it's not like it's gross or anything. Just like anything else, do it discretely, it's a natural thing.

On the other hand, spitting on the tee box, on the green, while people are taking their stance, etc. yeah, that's a no-no in my book.

Voted the second option.  I spit rather rarely, but I do spit.  A couple times in my life someone has looked askance at me for spitting and then I feel guilty - don't ever do it close enough to someone that they might be offended.  Easy to do if you aren't careful.

I do something else on the course, more frequently than spitting.  It would be much more obnoxious/disgusting if I ever did it on the green.  This biological activity requires disappearing behind thick bushes, trees or rocks.  Completely out of sight of other humans.

There's a time and a place for everything, including on the golf course.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Long as your keeping it off the green, I could care less. Me and a couple of my friends chew smokeless tobacco and have never considered spitting in a cup though..? I'm outside so I've never seen the point of going out of my way to spit in a cup, but I've always made a point to not spit on the green and to throw my dip out somewhere in the rough, water, or wooded area.

Originally Posted by dhanson

Some of the more ridiculous posts I have ever seen here... Get over yourselves.

I spit on the course, however infrequent, but not on the green/fringe/teebox/anywhere playing partners might walk.

Thank you! Is this seriously an issue for anybody? I mean, we're not talking about wads of half chewed tobbaco laying in a big clump in front of the hole. When was the last time anybody had a shot or putt altered because someone spit in the grass?

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Originally Posted by Kieran123

I personally hate public spitting. If the majority of the population can live day by day without spitting, why do people need to do it?

I think it makes the person look like a caveman.

So spitting for me is a no no anywhere, golf course or street

EDIT: Pissing is different...no one would dare piss on the green or fairway ( I hope )...and pissing can be a must....spitting is never a must...unless a bug flies in your mouth or something

What he said

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

Most gaussian poll results EVER!!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I spit on the course all the time...I smoke cigars and spitting is kind of just a part of that...it soaks in, dries up, whatever...I mean, you don't spit in a guy's line before he putts or any other insulting type of action..and no, you don't spit out a big chaw on the green or manicured grass area or whatever, but come on - people don't do that (at least civilized people)...but just spitting on the green or wherever on the course is reason for scorn and a fine?....I don't think so

Note: This thread is 1938 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!